pixeltracker

Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????

Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????

HollidayForever Profile Photo
HollidayForever
#1Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 6:15pm

So what are the chances of the current production of Full Monty at Papermill making a Broadway Transfer?

husk_charmer
#2re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 6:21pm

Given that no production from Paper Mill has transferred (at least in recent memory), and the not-so-hot word of mouth so far, I'm guessing slim-to-none.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

PiraguaGuy2
#2re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 6:24pm

No Papermill production has ever transferred. The one that got the closest was the truly remarkable Buckley/Gibson Gypsy. Seeing as the only selling point of Monty is Elaine Stritch and that it's highly unnecessary as a revival (plus, the coming season's already saturated with unexpected revival transfers - Night Music, Finian's Rainbow, Ragtime), I highly doubt it.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

husk_charmer
#3re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 7:00pm

^ Follies had a shot, but Roundabout interfered.

PlayhouseBeauty Profile Photo
PlayhouseBeauty
#4re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 7:04pm

I thought the closet Paper Mill Production that almost came to Broadway was GODSPELL????

But I would also have to agree that a Broadway transfer is very unlikely for Full Monty

jacky_b_123
#5re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 7:18pm

i know for a fact that it's in the next 2 years its due to make an appearance in the West End. I know the choreographer and probably shouldn't say their name except for the fact that the gig will be their first venture into the west end as fully fledged choreographer, they have known mostly for being associate choreographer to some very big names... i mean tony award winning names for current shows

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#6re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 7:40pm

^ Huh?

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#7re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 7:43pm

You Can't Take It With You and I'm Not Rappaport both transferred to Broadway from Paper Mill.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#8re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 8:07pm

The one that got the closest was the truly remarkable Buckley/Gibson Gypsy.

- I don't know how close it could have gotten. Sondheim and Laurents hated it. Once Laurents saw it, he refused to let it transfer.

And from the videos on youtube, Buckley is just awful in the role.

candles
#9re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 8:33pm

Maybe Tom Kitt can write something for the unconventional Jenn Colella so she can get back on Broadway one day.

husk_charmer
#10re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 8:56pm

I stand corrected. Since no musical has transferred, though...

Dollypop
#11re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 9:22pm

THE FULL MONTY has never been as good as its original cast. The second cast (with Will Chase) was a close second and the London cast (at least the one I saw) was dismal. Touring companies have been limp [pun intended].

It's a good show, don't get me wrong, however it requires spot-on casting and it doesn't always get that.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

PiraguaGuy2
#12re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 9:24pm

Maybe the Papermill producers can coerce Levi Johnston into going to Broadway with the show. That'll get ONE person I know of in a seat.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

AndAllThatJazz22
#13re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 9:25pm

Buckley was fine, but Gibson was AWFUL (in the clips I've seen). Her actting in the Gypsy clips and Cabaret was so unexciting and emotionless. Her singing voice in no way fits the Broadway stage either.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

Dollypop
#14re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 9:29pm

PG2, back off with my buddy Levi.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#15re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 9:52pm

The closest was Follies, which had a lot of the money already in place (and the support of the NY Times), but ultimately fell short.

That production of Gypsy was never going anywhere after Sondheim and Laurents publicly expressed their displeasure.
Updated On: 6/14/09 at 09:52 PM

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#16re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 10:04pm

The Full Monty opened less than nine years ago, and closed less than seven years ago. There are dozens of shows that are better candidates for revival. I am seeing The Full Monty next week, and I'l report back on my impressions.

Of Papermill's productions, both Gypsy and Follies were worthy of transfer. I would disagree with the prior poster who said Gibson wasn't up to the title role; she more than held her own. And that production also featured Lenny Wolpe, who was a terrific Herbie to Buckley's Rose.

It's a shame that Follies didn't transfer. Their cast was incredible (see link), and the production was exponentially better than the recent Roundabout production.
Papermill's Follies cast

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#17re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 10:10pm

It's a shame Sondheim and Mrs. Goldman went with the Roundabout production instead.

From what I've seen/heard, Donna McKechnie was a divine Sally.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#18re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 10:14pm

And Dee Hoty was a terrific Phyllis. Her version of Could I Leave You was perfect.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

nomdeplume
#19re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 10:16pm

The Full Monty with Patrick Wilson was fine.

Dollypop
#20re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 10:28pm

Patrick Wilson is ALWAYS fine.

husk_charmer
#21re: Full Monty making a Broadway Transfer??????
Posted: 6/14/09 at 10:29pm

It was more Goldman than Sondheim on the Follies descision, as I understand it.