#25re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:10pm

Okay, Anthem was incredible.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#26re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:13pm

What is this like traditional Bangkok-infused rap song?

Anyways, the show's pretty silly. And Adam Pascal gets on my nerves. Other than this song, I've enjoyed most of the music. The orchestrations though are magnificent.

Roger246 Profile Photo
Roger246
#27re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:14pm

The show is really uneven. Some great songs and then some that are just meh.

Heaven Help My Heart was Idina's best moment however.

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#28re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:16pm

Josh sounds great so far. I have seen him in concert and seen his DVD's and have always ended up a little disappointed each time. This is the best I have heard him perform live.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#29re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:17pm

The sound is very quiet, and is anyone else's sound and picture just ever so slightly out of sync?

The cast: They all have their moments.....good and bad.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#30re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:18pm

I wish they'd fix Idina's mic.

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#31re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:30pm

I thought Idina was doing the teen girl version of Heaven Help My Heart.

And it looked like they were doing the Mamma Mia version of One Night in Bangkok.

I do like the guy playing Molokov.

Groban's Anthem was quite good, although you'd want to put him in the studio with David Foster to get the perfect version. As it is, Tommy Körberg's version on the concept album is better.

Is that Actor's Fund version of Chess on CD?

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)
Updated On: 6/17/09 at 09:30 PM

bwayfan3 Profile Photo
bwayfan3
#32re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:33pm

Heaven Help...was her best moment so far...and she sang that song in her last round of concerts she just did in March and did it even better.

I think she is miscast but I also think that she's just not the type of performer that is good at picking things up quickly. I think she needs time, coaching and direction before she becomes comfortable. (Wasn't that the whole problem that she and Kristin had during Wicked...Kristin came in ready to go on stage from day 1 and Idina wasn't there for quite a while?) But she should proably know that about herself at this point and shouldn't do a project where she gets so little rehearsal time

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#33re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:33pm

Wow. Kerry Ellis was fantastic.

Chrysanthemum62001
#34re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:34pm

YES, she was. Best part so far.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#35re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:41pm

I love the drummer.

Adam is foolish.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#36re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:43pm

Did Josh Groban just avoid singing the word "sh-t?" (The lyric is "Refugee/ total ****/ is how I've always seen us") What, is he a boy scout?

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#37re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:43pm

The Deal is kicking ass.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#38re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:44pm

Please tell me I'm not only person who noticed Walter and Molokov's deal took place at urinals. That was hilarious, awesome and totally perfect staging for the moment.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#39re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:44pm

they have been bleeping out the cuss words all night. shame.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#40re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:45pm

he better sing this song. I don't know if he has it in him.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#41re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:47pm

adam sounds pretty good here...

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#42re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:48pm

sang.

Chrysanthemum62001
#43re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:50pm

Wow. Adam has really long eye lashes.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

luvtheEmcee
#44re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:52pm

I was concerned for Pity the Child because I didn't think Adam sounded so great at all earlier in the show, and he wasn't singing the score the way I know he can, but I thought he delivered. Not quite as good as his performance in the Actors' Fund version, which is one of my favorites from him, but still damned effective, IMO.

Updated On: 6/17/09 at 09:52 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#45re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:52pm

Is anyone else getting interference during the songs? Kerry is lush on "I Know Him So Well". Idina is destroying the song and her dress is hideous. It looks like Tracy Turnblad's roach dress from the Hairspray (the original film) finale.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Roger246 Profile Photo
Roger246
#46re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:55pm

Idina and Kerry sounded great together.

luvtheEmcee
#47re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 9:59pm

They did. That's one of my favorite songs.

WiCkEd BaCcHaE Profile Photo
WiCkEd BaCcHaE
#48re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 10:01pm

I have no problem with any of the leads. Groban never claimed to be an actor so I don't mind his flaws. The music suits him. Adam is fantastic. As for the complaints between Idina and Kerry, I think Idina is concentrating for the audience and Kerry is taking it down for the camera. Both sounds great though.

However, the direction for the show is unimaginative and obvious. Dancing chess pieces? Really?

The costume budget must have been tiny. The Bankok dancers look like they are on spring break in Panama City.

"Truth is rarely pure and never simple."- Oscar Wilde

"If I could only do one thing before I died, it would be to swim with a middle-aged couple from Connecticut."- a dolphin

Roger246 Profile Photo
Roger246
#49re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 10:02pm

This show has soooooo much potential. They just need to get it completely together and they haven't done that yet unfortunately.

Videos