#75re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 11:00pm

I ran home for this. Not worth it!

Just give the world Love.

SporkGoddess
#76re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 11:15pm

What a dumb ending.

Sorry, I've always liked the OLC's ending. I'm kind of a Freddie fan, though.

Oh, and Idina's strained yelling (no, not belting) made me cringe. Ughhhh.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 6/17/09 at 11:15 PM

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#77re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 11:19pm

That was the OLC ending. Almost exactly.

SporkGoddess
#78re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 11:22pm

Edit: Oops, you're right. Sorry, hard to keep track of these different versions.

I still think it's kind of a "Why did I watch this?" ending though.

Updated On: 6/17/09 at 11:22 PM

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#79re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 11:25pm

Its not PBS its a problem with the mastering and engineering. Its the same way on the DVD, and I understand that it was even worse in the hall.

You mean they released this commercially with the clipping/popping sounds? AS someone else here posted between this and the Tony Awards I think it is time to send the sound technicians back to school to learn the basics. Too many years of garage band and gold-wave mixing. I think it's partly those damned head mics. The singers project (as they should) which causes the sound to clip - it's over-modulating.

As for the show:

1. DUMP all the recitative and replace with spoken dialogue. It's the Andrew Lloyd Webber disease that makes composers think that every line needs to be sung.

2. STOP all this noinsense of trying to make the show a "spectacle." Chamber size it. It is really an intimate story.

3. Someone asked why Freddy was being played so "gay." I don't see it but some sexual tension could only add to the overall show.

4. AM I the only one who was glad that Merano was cut prior to Broadway?

5. There isn't enough story to justify 2 1/2 hours, or it needs to be developed and told better. If after all this time they STILL don't understand that then maybe the authors should seriously consider another profession.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#80re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 11:26pm

Eh, I am about 50/50 on this one. This was the first time I had seen Chess, and I must say, in some places the book is absolutely atrocious. And the sound was almost unbearable. But, that being said, some of the performances were great. I especially think Josh Groban did a good job. Sure, he wasn't the best actor, but some of the songs he sang were stupendous.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

SporkGoddess
#81re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 11:29pm

Haha, I'm glad someone else feels that way about "Merano." Yeah, it's a nice place, the chess tournament is being held there, we get it.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#82re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 11:41pm

Considering how vastly different the endings are in every version, I think it's pretty silly to call this ending dumb just because the "wrong" person tells Florence her father might be dead. That's a really petty difference compared to productions that end with Freddy beating Anatoly.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

SporkGoddess
#83re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/17/09 at 11:50pm

No, I was wrong. I misunderstood the OLC ending, which I first found out about when I was fairly young.

But now I just think the London ending is dumb, too. I don't always need happy endings, but I do like my sad endings to have a purpose to them.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#84re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/18/09 at 12:06am

Not the BIG Adam Pascal fan. But I feel he was the only one that was properly cast. Again, Menzel's version of Nobody's Side fell very flat.

Just give the world Love.

sparrman
#85re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/18/09 at 12:12am

If there are so many versions of this show with vastly different plots and conclusions, perhaps this is NOT a story that really needs to be told. In fact, is there even *A* story? With all these rewrites, they're starting with a song list and trying to work out some sort of plot that allows them to include most of the songs. That's backwards; the story should come first.

I think Chess has just about the best score of all from musical theatre's pop/rock opera phase. But dramatically? Not so compelling.

SporkGoddess
#86re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/18/09 at 12:19am

Does anyone else feel that maybe a chess tournament just doesn't translate that well to stage? I was pretty bored during the numerous chess matches, even with the dancing.

marelimat Profile Photo
marelimat
#87re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/18/09 at 12:39am

What a special treat. Watched it with my daughter and we loved it.

Thomas

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#89re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/18/09 at 12:51am

Is the sound any better on the Cd? The constant clipping/pooping sound drives me nuts!

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

orangeskittles
#90re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/18/09 at 1:15am

they're starting with a song list and trying to work out some sort of plot that allows them to include most of the songs. That's backwards; the story should come first.

That wasn't always the mentality. Musicals were exclusively songs first, story second for half a century (and beyond). Even so, Chess's songs were all written around a basic plot. You can't say the same thing about Mamma Mia, Jersey Boys, All Shook Up, Rock of Ages, or even Hair.

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#90re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/18/09 at 1:36am

I'm still watching it now. Really disappointed with all the actors: Adam's high notes really grate me, Groban felt flat, I didn't think Ellis did that well considering what I know she's capable of, and Idina was my biggest disappointment because I'm normally a fan of hers (and that white dress is hideous). And I hate the dancers. But the biggest problem is the book/sound. I've never heard Chess before this and I have no idea what is going on. And even though I'm still watching the concert, I don't feel compelled to go find out. Considering the numerous fantastic shows that are out there, why did they have to record Chess?

Edit: Also, if they're bleeping out every swearword, what's PBS going to do to Passing Strange when that airs?

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.
Updated On: 6/18/09 at 01:36 AM

orangeskittles
#91re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/18/09 at 2:18am

Considering the numerous fantastic shows that are out there, why did they have to record Chess?

Because many people think Chess is a fantastic show. Why did they have to record Passing Strange?

I<3bway Profile Photo
I<3bway
#92re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/18/09 at 3:13am

Ok, well I just got done watching Chess, and I have to say I rather enjoyed it. This was my first time watching the musical, and I thought it was interesting. I do agree though with a lot of people that Idina Menzel just wasn't great in this production. My favorite parts of the show was whenever Josh Groban was singing, especially Anthem, which really blew me away (despite the crap-ass sound.) I really could care less about Josh's acting skills, especially since he's just starting out. I thought Adam Pascal did a really good job too with Freddie. Kerry Ellis was wonderful too.

And I also agree that:

1) The storyline was mish mashed all over the place. It didn't help that I could barely hear the cast either. There was something about a father, chess game, love triangle, scheme......wha? But none the less, the music is still great.

2) I do believe that it would have been better to tell the story of Chess in a more intimate setting.

3) If the quality of the show OVERALL was good. The sound quality is crap and so is the picture quality. Bleh.

But overall, I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. And I am going to purchase songs from the Chess: In Concert recording on iTunes when I get the chance. I will also take a look at the original recording of Chess and purchase songs from that recording too. My favorite parts of the show were "Anthem,""Where I Want to Be,"The Deal(No Deal)," and "Endgame."

And I think it would be great if Chess came to broadway.

SweeneyPhanatic
#93re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/18/09 at 3:58am

I enjoyed it and can not wait to get the DVD. I am in no hurry to have the album, though. This is one version of CHESS I would rather see than listen to.

And I think they had the story right back in 2002/3 when they revamped it for the Swedish production. Give me an English translation of that version and I will be a happy CHESS lover! I like the London storyline, but there is no room for connecting to any of the characters. The Swedish version gave each major character his/her moment to show a softer side, creating a much more human story, IMO. As far as I am concerned, the Swedish version had the best orchestrations and song order, but the only thing I could do without is the acrobatic routine during "Dreams of Glass." More song--less symbolism, and cut the Arbiter floating during the chess game; that was just a big "WTF?!?" moment.

But yeah, the Royal Albert Hall Concert. Overall rating: B

-- SDG

crushgroove
#94re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/18/09 at 4:53am

Gosh I remember when PBS were risk takers...they aired "Longtime Companion" and "Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City" with the swearing and the nudity. Now they're bleeping out swearing in songs in a concert version of a musical... I thought we funded them so they wouldn't have to take money from advertisers so they could take more risks...booo

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#95re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/18/09 at 7:01am

I LIKE Merano*. I think it's silly and fun, and lightens a show that's takes itself too seriously. As somebody said, Chess was never a hit because none of the characters are likeable. And somebody else asked Who story is this? Who is the protagonist? The show does seem to have problems of having a through line of story.

I saw the CD and DVD in the store yesterday, but luckily held off buying until I watched the show at night. Not really worth it, I think, for largely forgettable vocals (a few exceptions) and terrible sound quality.

*Oh, how can you not like lines like:

Get out your get up and go and get in line
It's living your life in a show by Rodgers and Hammerstein!

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

broadwayjim42
#96re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/18/09 at 7:02am

Even if the upcoming "Kristina" concerts turn out to be as diappointing as this, at least they will have gotten one thing right: the leading lady (Helen Sjoholm).

WestEnd2
#97re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/18/09 at 9:09am

I'm glad I'm not the only one who still isn't happy with the sound on either the CD or DVD, although I guess the PBS broadcast could have had even worse sound, but it's still not great on the DVD (although it does have a 'surround sound' option on the menu which improves it somewhat).

"The Royal Albert Hall has great acoustics, but you wouldn't know it from tonight's telecast..."

You wouldn't have been able to tell it on the nights of the concert either, the sound was bloody awful and all we could hear was a mesh of sound, with no clue as to who was saying what. Granted, I was sat up in the heavens but I know people who paid for top price tickets down front could barely hear what was going on either. I think we're just lucky we were able to get the sound we have got on the DVD, I imagine it took an awful lot of cleaning up. Just about everything was taken from the second night when they still hadn't sorted the sound out - surely knowing they were recording they would have sorted the sound.

And that's one of my problems, they've had to take the sound direct from the singer's mics, and that just makes it sound flat, I like a bit of the sound of a performer's voice echoing through the auditorium and not the flat and dull sound on the DVD and CD.

Idina was very miscast and sounds very very shrill on the DVD and CD (the CD is just the songs ripped from the DVD), she didn't actually sound that shrill at the concert, she was still obviously miscast, but she was better live. Actually, she was the person I could hear best from where I was sat and I don't remember her being that shrill at all.

Anyway, whilst it is an improvment on seeing it live, I'm still not very impressed.

bwayguy22089
#98re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/18/09 at 9:17am

I actually liked Idina in this. I'm not sure whether or not she was miscast. I have never seen/heard another production of Chess. This is a huge, demanding role and I think she did the best she could with it. She's never been one to sound well on television. Her voice is too... I don't know... sharp? (not in terms of pitch). I loved her Nobody's Side. Her acting was a little weird, but I mean, they only had 4 days to throw this production together. I don't know. To each his/her own re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#99re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/18/09 at 9:29am

I enjoyed it, for the most part. I'm not convinced "Someone Else's Story" works for Svetlana, especially when it's the first time we've seen her, but this version is by and large much much better than the awful US version. Which one do they license in the states now?

I liked Idina, except for "Heaven Help My Heart." I thought her interpretation of that song completely missed the point.

Videos