pixeltracker

Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES - Page 2

Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES

AndAllThatJazz22
#25re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 2:39pm

Jane2

You mean the mediocre vocalists who have remained as mediocre vocalists?

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.
Updated On: 6/29/09 at 02:39 PM

ghostlight2
#26re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 2:41pm

"Am I thinking of someone else or has she done this kind of things a few times now?"

A lot of people have slung a lot of mud at her. Some of it has stuck. I understand the curiousity, but the particulars of her leaving the show are nobody's business.

I wish her the best.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#27re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 2:43pm

Well that's too bad. Wish I got the chance to see her.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#28re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 2:46pm

Mister Matt, I prefer watching actors do roles that showcase all their greatest talents.

Most shows don't cater to every facet of every actor. Audra McDonald can deliver an astonishing performance in a play even though she's one of Broadway's best singers. And really talented actors can turn poorly written roles into memorable performances. Chenoweth and Bart won Tonys for playing Sally and Snoopy in a show that is simply not great in any way. I just think that saying anyone is "too talented" to star in a show that may be a Broadway hit is like trying to cut off their nose to spite their face. If she hated being the show or the producers hated her, then that's their business, but I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone their shot at steady work creating a new role on Broadway, which is a chance that comes few and far between for most.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

AndAllThatJazz22
#29re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 2:48pm

I just think that saying anyone is "too talented" to star in a show that may be a Broadway hit is like trying to cut off their nose to spite their face

That metaphor makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

Mister Matt
#30re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 2:49pm

You mean the mediocre vocalists who have remained as mediocre vocalists?

As opposed to the one chronically ill on vocal rest? How about a little objectivity?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#31re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 2:49pm

I just think that saying anyone is "too talented" to star in a show that may be a Broadway hit is like trying to cut off their nose to spite their face

yes it does. it means they're both less than brilliant ideas.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Mister Matt
#32re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 2:55pm

Really? So something like "You're too good to star in a hit Broadway show, so stay unemployed until something else comes along whenever that may be" makes more sense to you? It was over two years since The Wedding Singer closed and Rock of Ages started Broadway performances. If she were that insanely talented, why wasn't she in a better show in the mean time (or why was she in The Wedding Singer, for that matter)? If you'd rather she waited to star in a show that reached your expectations of both her and musical theatre in general, you might have to reconcile yourself with the fact that you might not ever see her perform again.

dramatothemax Profile Photo
dramatothemax
#33re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 2:56pm

Wesley Taylor is NOT a mediocre vocalist. Mitchell Jarvis is NOT a mediocre vocalist. Lauren Molina is NOT a mediocre vocalist. And Savannah certainly isn't either. It's a solid cast.

If you want mediocre go see the Lion King.

You can knock Rock of Ages all you want, but the house is sold out basically every night, its grosses are steadily climbing every week and it makes a lot of people happy. Plus all of those "mediocre vocalists" you're talking about are the ones on the Broadway stage, not you.

Norbert Leo Butz shouldn't be stepping anywhere near cracker commercials and he's talented. When you need the money, you need the money.

Amy was great in the show but it will definitely move on without her just fine. Savannah is awesome.

Jersey Girl2 Profile Photo
Jersey Girl2
#34re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 2:57pm

>>Rock of Ages isn't a hit yet

OK - if you say so.
I guess it depends on how you define "A HIT"

As far as Amy - wasn't she quoted saying this was the best role she has had?

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss."

ghostlight2
#35re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 3:14pm

She frequently speaks with her tongue damn near visually in cheek. She may have said it, but looking back over her career, do you seriously think she meant it?

And does this really have to devolve into another Spanger/ROA-bashing thread?

Really?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#36re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 3:17pm

Jersey Girl, when the people on this thread are talking about Rock Of Ages not being a hit, they are talking about how it didn't recoup its investment yet. That is what people mean when they are talking about a hit show vs a flop.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#37re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 3:31pm

That is sad... I truly hope she is okay. I saw her in Wedding Singer and think she is wonderfully funny!
As for the show... prior to hearing the cast recording I didn't think I would want anything to do with the show, but I saw it TWICE this past weekend and had a blast!! I know that the show isn't a thought provoking piece of theater, hell THEY know that, but it's fun and goofy and sometimes that's what you want or even need to see! And if you think the cast isn't talented then obviously you haven't actually seen the show....

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#38re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 3:33pm

"Jane2

You mean the mediocre vocalists who have remained as mediocre vocalists? "

No.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Jersey Girl2
#39re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 3:45pm

Thanks Winston for clarifying that..
When that happens it will be a successful musical.
I still think its a hit already.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#40re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 3:46pm

They should bring in that little girl from American Idol.
Whoever they get it could be a marketing tool.

dramatothemax
#41re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 3:48pm

I can see it now, Adam Lambert as Sherrie in Rock of Ages.

Mister Matt
#42re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 3:50pm

If they got Allison from Idol I will definitely see the show, though I doubt they could get her in the show quick enough for my trip to NYC.

dramatothemax
#43re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 3:53pm

Allison and Jeremy Jordan would be a great pair, but not so much with Allison and Constantine. He's a little old for her. But she's so awesome.

Jersey Girl2
#44re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 4:09pm

Would they bother to look for someone new-
someone who would have to learn the entire show-
when they have someone who is PERFECT in the role already?

I guess we will find out soon.

j'aime_le_theatre Profile Photo
j'aime_le_theatre
#45re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 4:23pm

This makes me really sad. I saw the show in previews and thought Amy was great. I wish her nothing but the best.

Ole Chum
#46re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 4:36pm

this is so strange. theres a story lurking underneath the surface here. she sounded fine at the tonys and performed well in the months leading up to them.... then she takes a month of vocal rest...and then shes fired the day shes supp to come back?

odd.

and while i have no idea what happened or if shes seriously suffering vocally, anyone who says that she cant sing speaks from sheer ignorance. i saw her in chicago and ticktickBOOM, and in both, her vocals were outstanding. im sure you can find a clip of her singing "come to your senses" somewhere that would speak to my point.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#47re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 4:46pm

Yes, I saw every performance she gave in Tick Tick Boom and her Come to Your Senses usually brought down the house. But let's not even compare the vocals of that show to those in ROA.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#48re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 4:49pm

Aw, this is unfortunate. I hope the bump up Ms. Wise as she is amazing in the show.

Or get LBB re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES

Ole Chum
#49re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 4:51pm

you saw every performance she gave in ticktickboom?

Videos