pixeltracker

Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES - Page 3

Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#50re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 4:52pm

^ yes, I was house manager of that theater.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#51re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 4:56pm

I'm hoping Savannah Wise gets bumped up. And I'd imagine Kelly Bartlett wouldn't be too adverse to returning.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

SINGASIMPLESONG Profile Photo
SINGASIMPLESONG
#52re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 5:02pm

Amy Spanger is an amazing talent and anyone who bad-dogs her vocals is just a jealous hack. She's great. In my opinion, Ms. Spanger rocked the roll of Sherrie, and injected an infectious energy and big dose of comedy to a vocally demanding role. YOU sing "High Enough" with Constantine Maroulis 8 times a week and see how YOU do with that...

I think it's really a shame she left the show and I will miss her. Those of us who shilled for Rock of Ages before the Critics' Praise...and the Tony Nominations...and Brett Michaels...will continue to show support for the SUPERSTAR that is Savannah Wise, and whomever ultimately wins the role for good.

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#53re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 5:11pm

While I find this disapointing that Spanger will no longer be on Broadway, I wish her the best of luck in the future. Also, for those who say her voice isn't that good/she has no theatrical presence: three words for you. Kiss Me Kate. Do yourself a favor and listen to the wonderful "Always True To You (In My Fashion)". If for some reason you don't have the recording and you have some time, I believe the track can be played on BWW Radio. Seriously the best version of this song I have found and proves what a powerhouse Amy Spanger can be when she is given the right material. Not saying anything negative about Rock of Ages, as I haven't seen it, but it's just different vocals. Also, I think Spanger at times has this ability to bring this dark sense of comedy to roles. Back when she was Diana in Next to Normal (back when it was called Feeling Electric), there was this song called "So Many Ways To Die" that was just awesome. True it would not fit in the modern version of the show in any way whatsoever, but it still is this fun little ditty that showcases Spanger's ridiculousness really well.

Anyway, that's my thirty cents on the subject. But really - listen to "Always True To You" if you have any doubt about Ms. Amy. :)

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#54re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 5:12pm

" YOU sing "High Enough" with Constantine Maroulis 8 times a week and see how YOU do with that... "

Not for nothing, but Kelli Barrett did it.

for the record, I'm an Amy fan. I was excited when she was given the role of Sherri. I'm just commenting that maybe those vocals were too much for her. Who knows.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#55re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 5:14pm

Bring Kelli Barrett back !!! Liked Amy, but Kelli was better, IMHO.

NakedMaid Profile Photo
NakedMaid
#56re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 5:38pm

fredda JANE, is that you?

fgreene1938 Profile Photo
fgreene1938
#57re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 6:03pm

Spanger has a history of being inconsistent in both performance and attendance in her BW shows. In addition, she appeared with the entire cast on the CBS Early Show the week of the Tony's and was dreadful. In fact, the entire cast was so off pitch that the person sitting next to me turned and said, "They can't be serious." Not up to the task.

bwayfan3 Profile Photo
bwayfan3
#58re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 7:20pm

I don't know why they replaced Kelli Barrett in the first place. I thought she did a great job when I saw it off-Broadway and she had the stamina too.

bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#59re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 7:34pm

Saw the show Friday....Savannah was AWESOME. I hope they keep here there.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#60re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 10:57pm

the official site has wasted no time. Spanger's bio, and the picture of her from the "About" page have been removed. The picture has been replaced by one of Savannah Wise (in her ensemble costume), I assume that is not a coincidence

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

lstbutifulgrl2
#61re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 11:00pm

Considering that Savannah has been covering the role since the night after the Tonys, no, it's not a coincidence. although I'm sad to see Amy go and wish her luck, I thoroughly enjoy Savannah's portrayal of Sherrie.

"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent

lsinger2
#62re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 11:04pm

I saw Spanger in Wedding Singer a few times. Definitely some awkward moments. During the first performance she cracked big time during her big note. Very embarrassing. Ready for a new rocker to take over.

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#63re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 11:26pm

i haven't seen the show yet unfortunately, and wnated to see her in it, and it's a shame that i won't get to. good to hear everyone saying Savannah is great, so please don't steal jackie burns from hair :]

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#64re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 11:28pm

Savannah is beyond amazing. :)

BrianS Profile Photo
BrianS
#65re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 11:33pm

Ole Chum, she wasn't fired. It was definitely her decision. They didn't offer to buy her out. They didn't fire her. She walked.

If the audience could do better, they'd be up here on stage and I'd be out there watching them. - Ethel Merman

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#66re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 11:37pm

Gone from the cast board too:

re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES Updated On: 6/29/09 at 11:37 PM

massofmen
#67re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 11:45pm

brians you know everything.

Updated On: 6/29/09 at 11:45 PM

hmpeterson Profile Photo
hmpeterson
#68re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/29/09 at 11:59pm

Saw Savannah at the Sat matinee and she was great. I hope they give her the role full time since she was basically doing it full time anyway.

Never saw Amy but wish her lots of luck in the future.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#69re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/30/09 at 9:49am

During Kiss Me Kate Marin Mazzie and Brian Stokes Mitchell asked to change dressing rooms to keep distance from Spanger. Apparently she's not well liked in some circles. Seems like this extends to Rock of Ages.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#70re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/30/09 at 10:06am

Why wouldn't she be liked?

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

dramatothemax Profile Photo
dramatothemax
#71re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/30/09 at 12:12pm

They probably moved dressing rooms because of her high power belt warm-ups and her intensely awesome forward placement.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#72re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/30/09 at 12:29pm

"During Kiss Me Kate Marin Mazzie and Brian Stokes Mitchell asked to change dressing rooms to keep distance from Spanger. Apparently she's not well liked in some circles. Seems like this extends to Rock of Ages"

How would we know if any of that is true? Sounds like rumors to me.

dramatothemax Profile Photo
dramatothemax
#73re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/30/09 at 12:43pm

Apparently during Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Raul Esparza yelled at the producers saying he would not do the show unless the flying car had leather interior and square cup holders. The rest of the cast asked to be in a different flying car to keep distance from Esparza. Apparently he's not well liked.

Look I can do it too. But of course, Raul is a perfectly professional gentleman.

The split with Rock of Ages was very civil and planned out.

ghostlight2
#74re: Amy Spanger Leaves ROCK OF AGES
Posted: 6/30/09 at 12:51pm

"... apparently..."? "... seems like..."?

"How would we know if any of that is true? Sounds like rumors to me".

Ya think? Bobby distances himself from the rumors s/he's putting out there as fact. Like I said before, Jane. Sling enough mud and some of it sticks. Not to mention, even if it were true, I think it's sleazy and unprofessional to divulge what goes on backstage. If all parties are content and wish to keep the nature of the split private, why not honor that?