List of planned movie-musicals?

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#1List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 4:16pm

I am having trouble keeping track of all of the many movie musicals announced, so I'm trying to compile a list
I know there is:
Nine
In the Heights
Rock of Ages
Damn Yankees
Guys and Dolls
Hairspray 2

What else?

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#2re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 4:21pm

Thank you! I hadn't heard about the Follies film, sounds exciting!

broadway122 Profile Photo
broadway122
#3re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 4:23pm

I think Hansel & Gretel Rocks sound very interesting.

"i had no idea billy elliot was about one boy's triumph over epilepsy."-FindingNamo

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#4re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 4:35pm

that's brand new.. i frequent the list often and haven't seen it prior to today..

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#5re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 5:09pm

There are alot from 2010 & on. I wonder how many of those will actually be made.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#6re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 5:14pm

There was a recent thread about upcoming movie musicals.

ROCK OF AGES and IN THE HEIGHTS are both acquired but not yet in development. Planned movie musicals of the past, such as BAT BOY, LES MISERABLES, JEKYLL & HYDE, PETER PAN (TV), ROCKY HORROR (TV), SUNSET BOULEVARD, and CABARET only got as far as IN THE HEIGHTS and ROCK OF AGES and still haven't been made.

The only ones we can count on are NINE and HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 4. HAIRSPRAY 2 is likely. The rest...who knows...!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#7re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 5:23pm

Oh, I think we can count on Camp Rock 2 as well.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#8re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 5:25pm

Well I'd say Footloose is definite...if they still wanted to continue without Zac Efron, they must be serious.

Hairspray 2...hmm...I have a feeling they might not do it if they don't get their stars back. I highly doubt Zac Efron would do it unless major, major bucks are put forward.

My Fair Lady too...isn't that quite far into pre-production?

I feel In The Heights is more likely than Rock of Ages...I mean, Jennifer Lopez has her claws into it and Rock of Ages seems such an out of nowhere possibility.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#9re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 9:04pm

FOOTLOOSE is not a musical...

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#10re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 9:11pm

Well, didn't RoA transfer mainly so that they could advertise it as being from Broadway for the movie? I mean, I think it's easier to sell a Broadway to screen transfer than an Off-Broadway to screen transfer (have there been many of those besides Little Shop?).

Fan2
#11re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 9:11pm

"Carousel" is definitely happening with Hugh Jackman - he said in a recent interview he was trying to get Anne Hathaway to play Julie Jordan and he wanted to film it within the next year. Variety also mentioned that it was a priority at Fox 2000.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#12re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 9:13pm

RE: CAROUSEL...I'll believe it when they begin shooting. Jackman has been tapped for several projects, many of those his own, and I have yet to see one actually produced.

--Aristotle

Fan2
#13re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 9:19pm

These things take a LONG time when they are in development but this sounds like it's getting to the home stretch. Per Variety:

**Long-in-the-works "Carousel" is also now a priority at Fox 2000, after David Magee turned in a script that Jackman and Palermo said keeps the timeless spirit of the Rodgers & Hammerstein classic, but injects relevance for a contemporary audience. Jackman will play Billy Bigelow. On Jackman's wishlist for the role of Julie Jordan is Anne Hathaway, who dueted with him in the Oscarcast opening number. Negotiations have not begun with the actress.**
Variety

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#14re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 9:46pm

RE: Jekyll & HYDE Musical Film:

They made TONS of progress on this, especially with the intention of keeping the rock-esque orchestrations / song list from the RESSURRECTION Cast Recording, but since there are plans for a Keanu Reeves non-musical version and a Guerillmo del Toro (?) directed film also (I don't believe those two are connected?), the plans have been pushed back to see if those films 1) actually happen, and how successful they are before pursueing the musical version!

Fan2
#15re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 9:51pm

Jekyll & Hyde - yes, two different movies! I hope they aren't going to wait five years!

**According to The Hollywood Reporter, Universal is developing a modern retelling of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, with Keanu Reeves attached to star and Justin Haythe, who wrote Revolutionary Road, writing the screenplay.

Nicolas Winding Refn, who directed the Pusher trilogy and the critically acclaimed Bronson, is in negotiations to direct the project, which will be titled simply Jekyll.

Robert Louis Stevenson?s tale follows a doctor who scientifically develops an evil inner-self that goes out of control. The most recent iteration of the popular story was a 2007 BBC miniseries with the story set in the present as Hyde ran wild in London.

According to the report, Universal has been developing yet another take on the same tale with Guillermo del Toro, although that version aims to stick more closely to the original Stevenson text. Del Toro?s project is also on the slow track, as the filmmaker works for the next five years or so on The Hobbit epic for New Line and MGM. He will probably tackle one or two other Universal film projects before his Jekyll vision as well, so there isn?t expected to be any conflicts between the two features.

Story

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#16re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 9:58pm

Also: Universal was supposedly attached the the Musical-Movie version too (But it is "The Hatchery" now) .. they must really want a good Jekyll film!

jo
#17re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:06pm

Keeping my fingers crossed for CAROUSEL!

Hugh also said during the Wolverine promotion tour in Italy that he has sent a certain script to Italian director Gabriel Muccino ( directed the pilot of Viva Laughlin and also directed Will Smith in Pursuit of Happyness and in Seven Pounds) - he didn't say that it was for CAROUSEL - but I am hoping it is!

The project has been a long time coming, but the most important is securing funding support from FOX ( and I presume film distribution rights go with this).

I have a feeling that HOUDINI is not going to appear on Broadway in the spring of 2010 ( conflicts with Hugh's filming commitment for THE UNBOUND CAPTIVES; conflicts with Jack O'Brien's commitment to the PHANTOM sequeL; plus it is unlikely that Hugh will be committed to back-to-back projects for Broadway), so if things finally jell for CAROUSEL, we just may see a contemporized remake finally being brought to the screen re: List of planned movie-musicals?

Updated On: 7/1/09 at 10:06 PM

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#18re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:07pm

CapnHook wrote: "FOOTLOOSE is not a musical... "

From all the announcements, this is not a remake of the original film, but a film version of the Broadway musical.

So yes, it is a musical .... now, whether or not they keep all the book songs, well, who knows.

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#19re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:21pm

Especially since Zac Efron dropped out because he didn't want to do another musical, I'd say it's a musical. Chace Crawford is like Zac Efron is you squint and tilt your head, but we'll see if he can sing. Julianne Hough is fierce with a capital F, so let's hope she can sing, too. At least you know the dancing will be good, on her end at least.

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#20re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:21pm

Especially since Zac Efron dropped out because he didn't want to do another musical, I'd say it's a musical. Chace Crawford is like Zac Efron is you squint and tilt your head, but we'll see if he can sing. Julianne Hough is fierce with a capital F, so let's hope she can sing, too. At least you know the dancing will be good, on her end at least.

brandontwin2 Profile Photo
brandontwin2
#21re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:44pm

I also heard it isn't a musical. I heard it will contain a lot of the music but it isn't going to actually be a full movie musical. I'll look for the article

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#22re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 11:01pm

The planned FOOTLOOSE film is *not* an adaptation of the stage musical and that's a 100% truth. There will be original music and pop music. Someone who read the script told me the only song that can be considered "musical" style is the title song, "Footloose."

--Aristotle

broadwayboy101
#23re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/1/09 at 11:15pm

*waits for this thread to turn into a "Who should play Norma Desmond in 'Sunset Boulevard'" thread*

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#24re: List of planned movie-musicals?
Posted: 7/2/09 at 10:04am

Why, Len Cariou, of course.