News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Amazing Grace reviews

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#25Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 6:12pm

Via their YouTube page. Some of the audience response's seem honest while others to me seem insincere.

Updated On: 7/16/15 at 06:12 PM

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#26Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 6:22pm

"its about John Newton who has slaves, and then realizes that slavery is wrong and then writes the famous song Amazing Grace. It sounds interesting to me, and the b roll looked awesome. Its really a redemption story"

I just HAVE to say something----Philly, keep up this kind of posting, I think your education is starting to kick in--you seem a competely different type of person[are you in love?]

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#27Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 6:41pm

LOL

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#28Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 7:05pm

Pinto is right.  Early on, during previews, there were many negative things said about AAIP.   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#29Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 7:09pm

I saw it last night and it's not good. It's not downright bad or anything, but it's just plain not good. It's boring and unmoving. The story is oddly laid out. The plot is really muddy. The leading man can't act. The leading lady is good. It's a musical about a man who wrote Amazing Grace, yet for 2 1/2hrs they don't once mention him writing music or show him composing any music. It makes little to no sense. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#30Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 7:15pm

Something tells me Lord Brantley will not give this show his imprimatur.

Poster Emeritus

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#31Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 7:30pm

"Something tells me Lord Brantley will not give this show his imprimatur."

Something tells me you are going to post at least another 6-8 comments in this thread just basically repeating the same point over and over again.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#32Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 7:55pm

Perceptive, Bob!Amazing Grace reviews

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

brdway411
#33Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 7:55pm

Put me in the hated AAIP camp. I was expecting it to not do well. Songs were too short. 

I am guessing this will close Sunday. If not, with in the next 2 weeks. Like other posters, I have been offered comps and turned them down. 

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#34Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 8:01pm

FB..Have you bought a new suit?

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#35Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 8:05pm

Yeah, the other one needed a dry cleaning badly.  Been wearing it everyday for over a year now.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#36Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 9:16pm

Les Miz did not get raves & overcame them.

Well, Les Mis is not racist, so at least they have that going for them. 

They've been making so little money I wouldn't be surprised if they post a closing notice within the week...but then again, I said that about Honeymoon in Vegas and that stayed open longer than I possibly could have imagined. (And was, conveniently, also racist!)

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#38Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 9:25pm

Honeymoon in Vegas was racist?

Well now I have heard everything. The word has now been so overused so much it has now lost its true meaning. 

Hey, why not say Matilda and Kinky are racist while we are at it.

Poster Emeritus

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#39Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 9:31pm

For whatever it's worth, Amazing Grace was on TKTS tonight for its opening. Not sure if this is common or not.

MNC77
#40Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 9:32pm

Quotes from the AMNY review:

"a well-meant but embarrassingly uninteresting musical"

"Watching it, you keep thinking, "How in the world did this get to Broadway?""

"Smith's mushy, forgettable songs sound like the work of someone who loves "Les Miz" but has little talent of his own."

That's rough

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#41Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 9:33pm

My thoughts on Amazing Grace, if anyone is interested...

JKTS Amazing Grace Review

ChiTheaterFan
#42Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 9:54pm

"Epically bad."  Ouch. 

brdway411
#43Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 9:57pm

My favorite from AMNY  

"Too bad they couldn't just sing "Amazing Grace" at the start and save everyone 2 1/2 hours."

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#44Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 10:14pm

Times is up:http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/17/theater/review-amazing-grace-the-story-of-a-slave-traders-moral-awakening.html

Isherwood, not Brantley, and very, very grim.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir
Updated On: 7/16/15 at 10:14 PM

brdway411
#45Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 10:24pm

OUCH!!! from the NYT

"The song is simple, beautiful, immortal; the musical, not so much."

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#46Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 10:24pm

yeah it wasn't the nicest review, but all he basically kept saying is that the show is overstuffed. Idk, if you're gonna talk about how not good the show is, tell us whats not good about it. He probably secretly liked it just like he liked The Realistic Joneses, but was scared he would be the only one again lol

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

asmith0307
#47Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 10:28pm

"yeah it wasn't the nicest review, but all he basically kept saying is that the show is overstuffed. Idk, if you're gonna talk about how not good the show is, tell us whats not good about it. He probably secretly liked it just like he liked The Realistic Joneses, but was scared he would be the only one again lol"

I'm going to go with a no on that theory... I will say, he wasn't as scathing as I anticipated.

How can you say you think he secretly liked it? Are you inside his brain? As someone who HAS seen it, it has (or had - I haven't caught this particular incarnation as I saw the penultimate performance in Chicago) potential, but just did not quite utilize it in the best way. I was told that they were changing it to be from Chuck Cooper/Thomas' perspective, which would have been interesting, but it does not sound like that is what ended up happening. 

Updated On: 7/16/15 at 10:28 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#48Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 10:39pm

That guy at the end of the video saying how this is the show to see this season, probably has not heard of Hamilton...

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Margo319
#49Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 10:40pm

Sadly expected.

Videos