News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Amazing Grace reviews

mattporter17 Profile Photo
mattporter17
#100Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/17/15 at 11:08pm

So is there any way that this show makes in to 2016? Or is it gone in a few months?

AEA AGMA SM
#101Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/17/15 at 11:30pm

With such low numbers through previews and no rave reviews it's pretty close to impossible to imagine a scenario in which this show lasts through the rest of the summer, the entire fall, and the holiday season to make it to 2016.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#102Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/17/15 at 11:41pm

In the absence of a miracle approaching biblical proportions, any time this show remains open beyond a week from sunday will be in the vein of On the Town/Honeymoon in Vegas insanity. 

pippin423
#103Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/17/15 at 11:46pm

Saw this two weeks ago and realized 5 minutes into it that it was dressed up like the main course of a Thanksgiving meal, a TURKEY. The first act was tortuous to sit through but things picked up in act 2. Not a lot, but it did move faster.

Sorry to say this but as they sing in Spamalot, "You won't succeed on Broadway if you don't have any Jews" I sort of felt my wife and myself were the only ones from the tribe their that night. Sad but true.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#104Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/17/15 at 11:51pm

this will shutter quickly. No sales, poor reviews & nobody will even notice it's gone in a month. Plus considering the lack of available theaters, someone's knocking on the door at the Nederlander right now.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#105Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/18/15 at 12:15pm

Cote on NY 1 was kinder than I thought even though he compared it to Dr Z.

Closes before 8/1 I believe . Definitely gone by Labor Day. Cast Album - who knows.

Poster Emeritus

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#106Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/18/15 at 1:08pm

They haven't been papering it lately at all, which I find interesting. Perhaps they're trying to make it to Labor Day at least?

sparepart973
#107Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/19/15 at 6:05am

I thought the Vulture review was best and most political:

"an embarrassing failure of dramaturgy that the black characters serve no purpose but to reflect the white people’s moral awakening, and to sing nicely...Black characters (and black actors) should not at this point be entering stories about black suffering through back doors."

http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/theater-review-amazing-grace.html?mid=facebook_vulture

sklabam
#108Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/19/15 at 2:12pm

Saw it. Took it all in and was hopeful to enjoy, but no mas. A "D" from me.

neonlightsxo
#109Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/19/15 at 3:11pm

Vespertine, they have definitely been papering. Not sure where you heard otherwise. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#110Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/19/15 at 7:09pm

It was packed before Opening, and I'm pretty sure it was mostly comps. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#111Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/19/15 at 9:32pm

They are papering substantially outside the normal channels, which is why someone could be forgiven for thinking they are not papering.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#112Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/19/15 at 9:34pm

Last Monday night I had the option of seeing Amazing Grace for the first time, or Phantom of the Opera for the tenth time. I ended up at the Majestic Theatre.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

chanel
#113Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/20/15 at 10:46am

A nice production, "but stick with the song instead."

http://www.out.com/michael-musto/2015/7/20/which-golden-girl-and-kardashian-are-you-find-your-persona-association

Scroll down for review.

chanel
#114Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/20/15 at 10:48am

http://www.out.com/michael-musto/2015/7/20/which-golden-girl-and-kardashian-are-you-find-your-persona-association

Scroll down for review.

chanel
#115Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/20/15 at 10:48am

Scroll down for review.

chanel
#116Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/20/15 at 10:49am

Sorry for the multiple postings.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#117Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:48am

Vanity shows like this one, Soul Doctor, Scandalous, Tom Sawyer, In My Life, Holler If You Hear Me, Atomic, etc. seem like they should be hilariously bad, but generally wind up being merely sad and dull.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#118Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/20/15 at 12:18pm

Most of the shows you mention are not "vanity" productions, but merely shows by folks who have a dream. I agree these are all are bad, but I don't think it is useful to throw out the baby with the bath water. The defect is not that the shows were not created by some corporate mindset but that they were created and produced by people who did not have the wherewithal to make something great. Many many shows that have been wildly successful started as one person's idea (Hamilton, as an example.) 

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#119Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/20/15 at 12:21pm

In My Life was hilariously bad. 

You-have-to-see-it bad.

One of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen for all the wrong reasons.

....but the world goes 'round

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#120Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/20/15 at 12:24pm

I saw In My Life & totally agree with you re its badness

I still have the cd sampler they sent out in the mail. I have to check but I may also have a naughty version of this little gem.

Poster Emeritus

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#121Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/20/15 at 12:27pm

"You-have-to-see-it bad."

That's what I call "good"Amazing Grace reviews

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#122Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/20/15 at 12:38pm

"In My Life was hilariously bad. 
You-have-to-see-it bad.
One of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen for all the wrong reasons."

Was there really a giant lemon featured in the finale?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#123Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/20/15 at 12:40pm

"Most of the shows you mention are not "vanity" productions, but merely shows by folks who have a dream."

From my list, I'm pretty sure that Soul Doctor, Scandalous, In My Life, Holler, and Atomic (at least) count as classic vanity projects - that is they were written by people with little-to-no theatrical experience and funded (to a significant if not total degree) by them or parties closely connected to them, also with little-to-no theatrical experience.

I'll gladly concede that In My Life had many moments of entertaining awfulness amongst the boredom.

Updated On: 7/20/15 at 12:40 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#124Amazing Grace reviews
Posted: 7/20/15 at 2:32pm

"I'm pretty sure that Soul Doctor, Scandalous, In My Life, Holler, and Atomic (at least) count as classic vanity projects."

Nope. The classic (and only accepted) definition of a vanity project is one where the project is financed by the author or the author's family and/or close associates. Only In My Life was one, and perhaps Scandalous (I don't know where the money came from and I doubt you do either). The rest were produced by people who cared about the enterprise for one reason or another and thought they should be seen. That does not make it a vanity project. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with experience. The Visit was a vanity project. Am I know almost nothing about Atomic except that it is not a Broadway show so I don't think it is germane. If you list it, you need to list 95% of the shows in NYMF, the Fringe festival or produced under the showcase code. And don't we WANT folks to produce their dreams in those sorts of venues? Isn't that precisely where they should be produced if we are to nurture the theatre? I just really think you have some wrong-headed ideas on this.

Videos