News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 3:07pm

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28 Click below to access all the grosses from all the shows for the week ending 9/28/2008 in BroadwayWorld.com's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/grosses.cfm

BestOfBothWorlds Profile Photo
BestOfBothWorlds
#2re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 3:52pm

The country is down to practically three banks, and from the looks of these numbers it could be down to three Broadway shows soon, too. I'm hoping that it's just the normal fall lull and that it picks up come holidays, but this seems worse than normal.

Especial "yikes" for 13.

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#2re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 3:57pm

TALE OF TWO CITIES can't be making any money.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#3re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 4:03pm

Good to see GYPSY doing steady business.

And I'm very happy XANADU went out with a bang.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#4re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 4:40pm

If [title of show] were playing in the Helen Hayes this week, it would have been at 58%.

Transfer? Kthanxbye

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#5re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 4:46pm

It's not making enough money to be able to afford a transfer.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#6re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 4:51pm

"TALE OF TWO CITIES can't be making any money."

It's sad but the truth! Reported weekly running costs are around $500,000-$650,000 I believe! This is the first week it even came close to $500,000! Hopefully it'll last throgh the holidays + Longer!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 5:20pm

how much longer can Spamalot last?? could it move to a smaller theater??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#8re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 5:37pm

I wonder if SPAMALOT and MARY POPPINS will survive through the cold winter years post-Christmas week.
TALE OF TWO CITIES should just close, there's no reason the theatre should remain occupied, same goes for 13, a show that has no reason to even open on Broadway; it's making no money and I doubt that it'll get any better when the reviews come out.
Glad to see XANADU sort of go out with a mini-bang.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

BustopherPhantom
#9re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 5:40pm

how much longer can Spamalot last?? could it move to a smaller theater??

Would a move be practical?

Frankly, there aren't that many shows that can drum up enough excitement or backing to risk a transfer: the only one I can think of at the moment was THE LION KING. SPAMALOT, even if it closed tomorrow, will have enjoyed a great run: it won Best Musical, it made its money back, etc. I don't really think it NEEDS to move to another theater.

And besides, any show that closes, no matter how sad the closing might be, leaves room for something else to come in. And in a Broadway where a show is either a huge huge hit (MARY POPPINS, THE LION KING, PHANTOM, etc.) or a flop (CURTAINS, LEGALLY BLONDE, XANADU), where big hits are filling the theaters, that's always cause for excitement.

-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#10re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 5:40pm

Disney can get MARY through the winter.

perfectliar
#11re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 5:42pm

The grosses for 13 are horrendous. I wouldn't be surprised if it closed within a month.

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#12re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 5:49pm

I don't think these grosses are particularly horrible for the time of year and the general states of things closing and opening up. We'll have to wait and see how things do during the holidays before we can proclaim serious problems.

Ed_Mottershead
#13re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 5:57pm

Not totally on-topic, but Xanadu did not go out with a mini-bang at the last performance. It was sold out to the rafters, the reaction was like a lion's roar throughout and people were standing, stomping and screaming at the top of their lungs throughout. HUZZAH for the most fun ever on Broadway!!!!!!!

BroadwayEd

MissAnneThrop Profile Photo
MissAnneThrop
#14re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 6:02pm

why is switching theatres brought up for everything now. Do these posters not realize how much money it costs to go that. It is not always a viable option most of the time. No disrespect to anyone.

And I Am Always So Vitriolic

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#15re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 6:03pm

What the hell is up with Poppins?

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#16re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 6:12pm

I think that a general lowering of ticket prices could spice up business...

grnsmwhr Profile Photo
grnsmwhr
#17re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 6:23pm

I don't mind the ticket costs but the cost of hotels right now is killing your tourist industry.

You see, obsessions are very personal things, they come from deep inside us, where we are open and vulnerable, which is why I consider them sacred, not to be belittled....PalJoey
Updated On: 9/29/08 at 06:23 PM

masb19872
#18re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 6:23pm

In comparison to this time last year, the average is only about 5% less. However, there are more shows open, and more shows are doing worse. There was one show doing below 60% last year, and 12 below 75%. This year, there's 18 below 75% and five below 60%. I think this week's a bit too early to start seeing the effects of the recent economy crisis on ticket sales, as people probably had bought the tickets before everything happened. It will show more in the next few weeks.

ThankstoPhantom
#19re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 6:24pm

Mary Poppins is probably just making over its knut at the moment, or just below it... If indeed it's making below, the show has already recouped (late last year), so I'm sure Disney may not mind too much covering costs, unlike Tarzan, which made them no money.

With this trend, I wouldn't be surprised to see it close next year after 3 years like it did in London (not saying it will).

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 9/29/08 at 06:24 PM

BustopherPhantom
#20re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 6:29pm

MARY POPPINS recouped a long time ago.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 9/29/08 at 6:38pm

Updated On: 5/1/09 at 06:38 PM

ThankstoPhantom
#22re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 7:18pm

Bustopher...I said that....it recouped "late last year".

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

broadwayboy101
#23re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 9:25pm

I don't see 13 lasting 'til Thanksgiving.

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#24re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
Posted: 9/29/08 at 10:14pm

It is just me or is Two Cities getting slow but steady traction?

Videos