News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 108

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2675Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/22 at 2:58pm

Yawn.  frown

gibsons2
#2676Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/22 at 3:24pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I'm surprised there hasn't been any video (however brief) of Angelica Ross as Roxie."

Most likely because she's not good at the role and unfortunately can't sing at all... and to add insult to injury,  Brandon Victor Dixon is a complete miscast as Billy Flynn. Its not that often you see someone so wrong for a role. I was really looking forward to revisit Chicago during the Broadway week,  but I should have saved my money and time.

Updated On: 10/2/22 at 03:24 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2677Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/22 at 4:37pm

I've mentioned before how "Chicago" would benefit from a "Search For Velma Kelly".  I was just thinking that maybe there could be a "Search For Billy Flynn".  There are so many talented singers out there who can do justice to the role.   

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

BrodyFosse123
#2678Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/22 at 7:29pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I've mentioned before how "Chicago" would benefit from a "Search For Velma Kelly". I was just thinking that maybe there could be a "Search For Billy Flynn". There are so many talented singers out there who can do justice to the role. "

Billy Flynn requires much more than a good singer.  He has extensive book scenes so he needs to show layers of acting and charisma.  CHICAGO isn’t a show that requires mind-blowing singers.  It’s a heavy book musical so if you can’t act, your good singing ain’t going to mean much. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2679Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/22 at 7:40pm

Really question how this show is still running without any names in it? Who's buying a ticket? 

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BrodyFosse123
#2680Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/22 at 7:45pm

ACL2006 said: "Really question how this show is still running without any names in it? Who's buying a ticket?"

Tourists who love the 2002 Oscar winning film and are unfamiliar with Broadway and the other shows playing.  Pamela Anderson brought back the old CHICAGO fans so her entire run was sold-out at each performance.  Once she left, the lack of interest in the show resumed. 

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2681Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/22 at 9:13pm

ACL2006 said: "Really question how this show is still running without any names in it? Who's buying a ticket?"     I am.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

BCfitasafiddle
#2682Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/22 at 9:24pm

Agreed about needing new Velma's. Can it be that hard to find someone who can get the job done in New York City? They need new people so that they can have younger people to swap in and out for the next 10 years. Chicago actually had excitement and energy when it reopened and in the spring with Pamela, but it's back to it's old tricks. No thank you. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2683Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/22 at 9:49pm

I don't get the constant recycling of actors for this show. There's plenty that can do the roles of Velma, Roxie, Billy & Mama.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2684Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 2:27pm

I guess this wasn't posted before, here's a profile or Ross including show clips from ABC News. I think she actually fits in quite nicely::

Angelica Ross makes Broadway history as first trans Roxie Hart

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Phantom4ever
#2685Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 3:34pm

ACL2006 said: "Really question how this show is still running without any names in it? Who's buying a ticket?"

I am too. Pretty much every time I come to New York.  The only untalented person I've seen in the show so far is Erika Jayne. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#2686Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 10:09pm

gibsons2 said: "Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I'm surprised there hasn't been any video (however brief) of Angelica Ross as Roxie."

Most likely because she's not good at the role and unfortunately can't sing at all... and to add insult to injury, Brandon Victor Dixon is a complete miscast as Billy Flynn. Its not that often you see someone so wrong for a role. I was really looking forward to revisit Chicago during the Broadway week, but I should have saved my money and time.
"

Not a fan of Chicago, and cant speak to BVD performance, but I caught the 90 minute "Curtain Up" Times Sq bway showcase and i actually thought every single show sounded horrible-- screechy, pitchy, disinterested-- and started to assume it was the recording/mics UNTIL BVD sang "All I Care About Is Love" which was smooth as silk. Wish he was doing more interesting work but he sure can sing the score.

gibsons2
#2687Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 10:49pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "gibsons2 said: "Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I'm surprised there hasn't been any video (however brief) of Angelica Ross as Roxie."

Most likely because she's not good at the role and unfortunately can't sing at all... and to add insult to injury, Brandon Victor Dixon is a complete miscast as Billy Flynn. Its not that often you see someone so wrong for a role. I was really looking forward to revisit Chicago during the Broadway week, but I should have saved my money and time.
"

Not a fan of Chicago, and cant speak to BVD performance, but I caught the 90 minute "Curtain Up" Times Sq bway showcase and i actually thought every single show sounded horrible-- screechy, pitchy, disinterested-- and started to assume it was the recording/mics UNTIL BVD sang "All I Care About Is Love" which was smooth as silk. Wish he was doing more interesting work but he sure can sing the score.
"

He definitely sang beautifully,  but his whole act was wrong for the role. He played a worn out, overworked detective, not a charming, sly and publicity savvy lawyer Billy Flynn is. 

Updated On: 10/3/22 at 10:49 PM

aw42
#2688Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/6/22 at 8:07am

First time seeing Chicago just recently, in my years of attending Broadway. Thought BVD was fine, but has Billy Flynn's costume always been a black suit, bow tie, white boutonnière? That doesn't look convincing as a lawyer, in my opinion. I can understand why he doesn't have a briefcase (no heavy props or tables on set)

In the current cast, thought Charity Dawson (Mama), and Evan Harrington (Amos) were fantastic (really entertaining Mr Cellophane)

Updated On: 10/6/22 at 08:07 AM

Phantom4ever
#2689Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/6/22 at 9:59am

I've always seen the Billy Flynn costume two ways. 1: The entire show's look is a play on upscale lingerie and the tuxedo look fits into that. It wouldn't look right for Flynn to come out there in form fitting leather pants and a his bare chest showing like other cast members. So yeah a lawyer would wear a suit, but this is an elevated version of that. It also works well when Roxie and Velma are later wearing tuxedo jackets with no pants. 

BrodyFosse123
#2690Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/6/22 at 10:13am

This revival of CHICAGO is based on the 1996 Encores! Concert Series production hence the set-less concert-staging and onstage orchestra and black formal/sexy costuming (the original 1975 Broadway production had colorful costumes, sets, etc).  Many assume Bob Fosse’s original 1975 Broadway production was all-black, set-less,  and stylized like this revival but it was not.   

PipingHotPiccolo
#2691Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/6/22 at 7:00pm

aw42 said: "Thought BVD was fine, but has Billy Flynn's costume always been a black suit, bow tie, white boutonnière? That doesn't look convincing as a lawyer, in my opinion. I can understand why he doesn't have a briefcase (no heavy props or tables on set)"

Wait, do you think that in the good ole days Illinois state convicts wore tiny, lacy black dresses with heels, and reported to a jailhouse matron in a snazzy black pantsuit? None of the show is meant to be costumed to reflect reality. 

aw42
#2692Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/7/22 at 12:17am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "Wait, do you think that in the good ole days Illinois state convicts wore tiny, lacy black dresses with heels, and reported to a jailhouse matron in a snazzy black pantsuit? None of the show is meant to be costumed to reflect reality."

Yeah that's fair :)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2693Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/24/22 at 7:53pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/CHICAGO-Re-Issues-Cast-Recording-on-Vinyl-20221024    I need to look for my vinyl LP that I got from Jason Patrick Sands a few years back.

aw42
#2694Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/25/22 at 10:57pm

I may have missed a headline, but did they announce who's on for Roxie after Nov 6?
For what it's worth: I was outside the theatre looking at the board on the door a few times this and last week. Last Tuesday or Thursday (Oct 18 or 20 I can't remember) Rachel Schur was on for Roxie. Today, Tue Oct 25, Jessica Ernst was on for Roxie; Celina Nightengale was on for Mama.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2695Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/26/22 at 2:36pm

Like in the past two decades, you mean? 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2696Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/26/22 at 5:23pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Charlotte-dAmboise-Ryan-Silverman-to-Return-to-CHICAGO-in-November-20221026

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2697Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/26/22 at 6:05pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Charlotte-dAmboise-Ryan-Silverman-to-Return-to-CHICAGO-in-November-20221026"

ZzZzZzZzZzZ. Geez, please hire some fresh faces already...

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2698Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/26/22 at 9:49pm

Jeff Gorti will play the role of  Billy Flynn on Thursday, October 27th.  

aw42
#2699Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/29/22 at 6:28am

Updated On: 10/29/22 at 06:28 AM

Videos