News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis

Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#1Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 8:28pm

I don't know what to say. I arrived at the Marquis on an incredible high, having seen Hairspray that afternoon. Sadly, Cry Baby is no Hairspray. They were clearly trying to catch lightning in a bottle again, and it just doesn't work.

I still can't decide if this was worse than Dance of the Vampires or not. I'm leaning towards no, only because Cry Baby lacks a talking sponge.

The show's problems begin with its lead actor, who is simply bland, bland, bland. He's not a particularly good singer, dancer, or actor, which really makes me wonder why he was cast in this. He completely missed his big note at the end of I'm Infected, and it was painful to listen to.

Someone needs to tell Elizabeth Stanley that she needs to camp it up more. This isn't Shakespeare. She's got a pleasant enough voice, but her acting is horrendous.

Harriet Harris, poor woman, does her absolute best with the schlock she's given. She does what she can with a horrible song, and really, really, awful, dialogue. I give her credit for trying.

Carly Jibson was back, and she's really quite good. She understands the John Waters style, and was really camping it up. Some of her castmates should take note. Ditto for Alli Mauzey, another talented performer who deserves better.

Christopher Hanke looked like Mark Paul Gosselar in his Saved by the Bell Days, and is absolutely horrendous.

The score is second rate, and the book is HORRIBLE. None of the jokes were landing Saturday night.

I don't even know what to say about the infamous gas mask waltz.

The highlight of the show is its choreography, particularly in the license plate number, which was one of the only (the other was Alli Mauzey's song) numbers to generate more than polite applause from the audience.

Brantley and the gang are gonna have a field day with this one...

Updated On: 4/6/08 at 08:28 PM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#2re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 8:31pm

how full was the theatre

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Yankeefan007
#2re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 8:33pm

Did you go with WithoutATrace? I'm still waiting to hear what he thought about last night's performance!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#3re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 8:39pm

"Did you go with WithoutATrace?"

Yes, I'll let him post his thoughts himself. He can tell you about the changes that have been made. From what I understand, act 1 has changed significantly.

"how full was the theatre"

The orchestra was full with the exception of the last 6 or 7 rows. I was told, however, that the mezzanine was deserted.

Incidentally, John Waters and a female member of the production team were seated right in front of us, busily taking notes throughout.
Updated On: 4/6/08 at 08:39 PM

Dollypop
#4re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 8:46pm

Oh, I absolutely MUST see this one! There's nothing like a bad show to make me feel good!

Curiosity question: As the tickets are all $54.00 during previews, what are they selling for at the TKTS booth?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#5re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 8:47pm

^I don't think it's been at the TKTS booth, oddly enough.

Yankeefan007
#6re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 8:48pm

No TKTS booth. They're not discounting the $54. It IS being heavily papered, though.

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#7re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:00pm

I was wondering if you and Without A Trace often disagree about shows and also if you can guess why a couple of posters at the same performance seemed to like the musical very much.

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#8re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:06pm

"...if you can guess why a couple of posters at the same performance seemed to like the musical very much."

Lower standards.
Updated On: 4/6/08 at 09:06 PM

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#9re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:12pm

Does a difference of opinion always mean lower standards? What about all the people who knocked Passing Strange prior to the reviews. Did all the reviewers just have lower standards?

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#10re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:15pm

In the case of this show, yes I believe those who loved it had lower standards.

My sister and I didn't despise the show, but we went in with low expectations.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#11re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:23pm

The people who liked the show are certainly entitled to their opinion. I never once in my review knocked those who enjoyed it. If they liked it, then fantastic. I didn't, and I'm merely stating so. I'm happy to say when I loved something too. I raved about the matinee of Hairspray that I saw that same day, and also Macbeth from earlier in the week.

Not sure where the attack is coming from, dented146.

alfgiotir Profile Photo
alfgiotir
#12re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:30pm

i was there. i have stayed away from reading the postings on here about cry baby because i wanted to form an honest opinion. i actually did not think it was that bad. yes, there were many problems with the book and some of the songs just fell flat. the score is very forgettable and they all seemed the same. the best part, just to reiterate what others have been saying, is the dancing scene in the jail with the liscense plates. the standouts are alli mauzey and chester gregory II even though they both do the best they can with what they get. harriet harris's voice is not in the best shape and i did not really like it. james snyder totally missed the final note in one of the earlier songs. it came out so badly. the auience could really tell. he was bland. the audience would clap after every song but it wasn't because it was great, it was because it was the polite thing to do for the actors. i sat in 5th row orch and it seemed pretty packed. only the last couple (maybe 5) rows of the orch were empty. the ending is just abrupt and kind of leaves you hanging. i dont know if anyone else noticed and it kinda bothered me and it is kind stupid but i hate how harriet harris just left off stage during the final scene and came back saying something like "here cry baby. i got this guitar for you. i am sorry." anyway, i went with my grandmom and brother and they both really liked it. i enjoyed myself and was surprised to see that it wasnt as bad as people were making it seem. oh yeah, i stage doored. everyone came out. john waters and thomas meehan also signed my poster. i had a good night in the theatre.

*edited for grammar

and just to clarify i really thought the the book was better than the score. Updated On: 4/6/08 at 09:30 PM

FIERCEY516
#13re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:31pm

I agree with everything EXCEPT for two things.

in your review, you make it seem that the book was worse than the score? I disagree. I thought the book was tolerable and the score was absolutely HORRENDOUS.

also.. I enjoyed Christopher Hanke and thought he did a lovely job. Especially in his duet with Alli.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#14re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:34pm

I have a feeling that the "Gentle Ben" we have seen in the last few weeks is going to take a special vacation for Cry baby. I cannot wait to see what he says.
I agree with your review (although I saw the show 13 days ago-before the latest round of changes), especially what you said about Snyder. He has absolutely no charisma. This show could almost be watchable if it had a Cheyenne Jackson-esque star turn from its leading man- but there are still a lot of problems. The only part I disagree with is your assessment of Hanke. I thought he was appropriately campy, and, on the night I saw it, his jokes all landed. He does look like Zack Morris though.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

Kasie Profile Photo
Kasie
#15re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:40pm

I hope it lasts on Broadway at least until July so I can see it when I go to New York. I have a feeling I will like it...but who knows.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#16re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 10:07pm

I forgot to mention Chester Gregory....he's another very talented performer who's just wasted in this show. Give him a real song to sing, please! All he gets to do is scream in his falsetto every now and then.

"in your review, you make it seem that the book was worse than the score? I disagree. I thought the book was tolerable and the score was absolutely HORRENDOUS. "

Well, I didn't particularly like either one, but if I had to say which was worse, it would probably be the score. The jokes in the book are just so terrible, though. However, there is not one memorable song in the score.

"This show could almost be watchable if it had a Cheyenne Jackson-esque star turn from its leading man"

Yes, exactly! They need someone to really sell it, and Snyder isn't it. Interestingly enough, I know for a fact that one of his understudies (Eric Sciotto) has a much better voice than he does.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#17re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 11:17pm

If this is going to close immediately after opening I won't get to see it like I'm hoping. I just want to watch the amazing choreography that everyone's talking about.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

bwayguy22089
#18re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 11:28pm

Just saying, from what I've seen, James usually does hit that note lol. Not starting any argument...just saying, he CAN do it re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis That's all

inf1234 Profile Photo
inf1234
#19re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/6/08 at 11:53pm

Saw Cry Baby on 3/29 and it needs a LOT of work. I am not sure it can be saved. At the end I turned to my companion and said "It might have a savable book, but everything else was so bad I can't tell". It's not the worst I have seen on Broadway, but it is in the bottom 20%...

On the license plate number I would say it it was an interesting number but it was a bit rough. Too much fumbling around with the license plates getting them in and out of the machines. Maybe it was just the sight lines from the seats I was in.
Updated On: 4/6/08 at 11:53 PM

jeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
#20re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/7/08 at 12:19am

Just because I liked it doesn't me I have lower standards.
It's just a matter of taste, and I thought it was so funny. I wasn't bored for a minute & isn't that what counts? I've seen 'hit' shows by critics standards & not liked them too.

I posted my opinion on this thread and I was not alone...
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=961987&dt=166&boardid=1

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#21re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/7/08 at 12:27am

You're right Jeffrey, diff'rent strokes....

Perhaps a better way to express my thoughts would be to say I had to lower my own expectations and standards to enjoy the show. (Just for me personally)
Updated On: 4/7/08 at 12:27 AM

jeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
#22re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/7/08 at 12:33am

It's OK Courtnyj. I wasn't offended. And anyway, no matter what, we still have "Xanadu" re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#23re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/7/08 at 12:35am

Tru dat sister Jeffrey!

And I didn't hate Cry-Baby. In fact there were a few things I really liked. Alli Mauzey's performance for instance.
Updated On: 4/7/08 at 12:35 AM

Yankeefan007
#24re: Cry Baby- 4/5/08, 8 PM- A diagnosis worse than mononucleosis
Posted: 4/7/08 at 6:57am

Alli Mauzey should be leading this show. She's the only one who "gets" how to work John Waters-esque humor.

Videos