News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21- Page 8

Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#175re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 6:11pm

I saw Dee as Elphaba in April 2007. I was blown away by her singing. I think she has the purest, most beautiful voice of any Elphaba. I was not nearly as impressed with her acting and stage prescence. She was good and I didn't think she was boring, she didn't make many distinct acting choices. It was just a generically good performance by someone who didn't seem comfortable owning the stage. Her singing is what stood out.

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#176re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 12:32am

Erin Mackey is, unfortunately, another one with a fantastic voice but a blah character. The nice thing is is that her and Dee do a stellar "For Good". And I think they're pretty close, because at Erin's last performance in Chicago, Dee could barely sing she was sobbing so much...

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#177re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 12:57am

I think Mackey is very underrated. She's not a revelation as Glinda, but she certainly brings a lot to the table. Unlike Roscioli, she actually posses genuine personality and stage presence.

Her successor in the Chicago production, Annaleigh Ashford, is by far the worst "actress" to ever play the role. Between her nauseating squeals and complete lack of any grasp for the character, it was painful to watch her stumble her way through the show (and quite surprising, considering she'd done it as an understudy on tour and as a principal on Broadway.)

I thought Ashford was adorable in LEGALLY BLONDE, but her talent doesn't seem to stretch far beyond that mold just yet.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 7/25/09 at 12:57 AM

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#178re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 1:00am

^Completely agree about Annaleigh. I thought Erin was great when I saw her, but she was good enough.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#179re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 1:04am

It's a shame they can't get someone in the same league as Alli Mauzey.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#180re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 2:57am

I don't Alli is THAT great. I liked her, but she's ranked 5th out of the Glindas I've seen and Erin is ranked 6th.

Satine36
#181re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 3:56am

"I don't Alli is THAT great."

Same here. She was enjoyable but I don't really feel as if she's brought anything new to the table.

DancingThroughLife2
#182re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 11:00am

I saw Dee and Erin in Chicago and I think that they are a good pair together and hopefully everyone will give them a chance, i really enjoyed them! Erin especially! Although i really hope sometime Katie Rose Clarke, Donna vivino, or merideth kaye clark (from 1st natl) go to broadway IMO they are AMAZING

DefyGravity777
#183re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 2:51pm

"It's a shame they can't get someone in the same league as Alli Mauzey."

They already have someone who can act and sing circles around Alli. It's our standby Laura Woyasz.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

BwayBoundJoe Profile Photo
BwayBoundJoe
#184re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 3:46pm

I think Donna and Katie are the strongest cast we have right now. Donna reminds me a lot of SJB, a powerhouse and not a riffer. As much as I LOVE Megan and want her to be my favorite because she was my first and i've met her multiple times, I love Katie Rose Clarke. They were the best cast I've seen. Mpo

Formally Stews_Bitch::: Shows in the 2010 Season for me. 101 Dalmations tour - Jan 24th, Xanadu Tour - Mar 9th and 10th, Wicked - May 14th, Legally Blonde - June 12th:::::::Upcoming - South Pacific, Young Frankinstein (Two Cities) Rock of Ages (Two Cities) Shrek (3 Cities) Les Mis, DreamGirls, Spring Awakening, Color Purple, and 9 to 5!

inick122492 Profile Photo
inick122492
#185re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 4:39pm

I think Erin doesn't have a firm grasp as Galinda. Galinda, herself, change with the evolution of casts. I think She went from spoiled and heartfelt to what is now the stupid cheerleader... Thanks to Annaleigh Ashford. I don't hate Annaleigh but that in my opinion was bad casting. I think Katie Clarke is the strongest Galinda out there. She is not stupid blonde but she is spoiled and uneducated of her surroundings. I think might be good but from what I have seen... she lacks the "Ga" in Galinda!

inick122492 Profile Photo
inick122492
#185re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 4:39pm

I think Erin doesn't have a firm grasp as Galinda. Galinda, herself, change with the evolution of casts. I think She went from spoiled and heartfelt to what is now the stupid cheerleader... Thanks to Annaleigh Ashford. I don't hate Annaleigh but that in my opinion was bad casting. I think Katie Clarke is the strongest Galinda out there. She is not stupid blonde but she is spoiled and uneducated of her surroundings. I think might be good but from what I have seen... she lacks the "Ga" in Galinda!

bubbleblonde
#187re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 4:56pm

I think the upcoming broadway cast is one of the weakest they've had. Obviously people will still react like it's the second coming of Jesus because that seems to be the pattern.

zoraksferal Profile Photo
zoraksferal
#188re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 5:28pm

Yes, because people are still gonna see the show, and no matter what, fangirl cults will form for the cast.

"It doesn't work when you lick it!"

DancingThroughLife2
#189re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 5:46pm

Katie Rose Clarke is my favorite Glinda also, I've seen her 6 times and each time she is even better. I also love Donna Vivino and think she is fantastic but so is the Elphaba standby for the 1st natl tour, Merideth Kaye Clark, she is pretty much just as good as Donna IMO. I hear Katie's last show is the end of August and rumored Donna is done Nov-Dec ish but who knows really. Maybe we will see them on broadway in the future, heopfully!

DancingThroughLife2
#190re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 5:46pm

Katie Rose Clarke is my favorite Glinda also, I've seen her 6 times and each time she is even better. I also love Donna Vivino and think she is fantastic but so is the Elphaba standby for the 1st natl tour, Merideth Kaye Clark, she is pretty much just as good as Donna IMO. I hear Katie's last show is the end of August and rumored Donna is done Nov-Dec ish but who knows really. Maybe we will see them on broadway in the future, heopfully!

zoraksferal Profile Photo
zoraksferal
#191re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 5:50pm

I hope so, but who knows what goes on in the minds of those in charge of casting. Katie really is the best Glinda.

"It doesn't work when you lick it!"

DefyGravity777
#192re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 6:03pm

^ Katie Rose is one of my favorite Glinda's also but she needs a break from the show IMO. That being said I hope to see her on Broadway one day.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#193re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 8:49pm

Isn't her last day with the tour coming up, or did she extend again??

Have they announced a replacement for her on the tour (if she is indeed leaving)?

If they're going to bring anyone in from Chicago, it should have been the understudy I was fortunate enough to catch the evening I saw the show there- Kate Loprest. Her Glinda was fantastic, possibly the best acted of any I've seen. Updated On: 7/25/09 at 08:49 PM

DancingThroughLife2
#194re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 9:04pm

I haven't seen anything that is "confirmed" but her last show will be on August 30th in San Diego and there was a rumor a while back that Ashley Spencer was going to be taking over for her, but that could easily be made up. Maybe Katie did extend her contract...anyone know anything?

californiasnow Profile Photo
californiasnow
#195re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 9:29pm

"They already have someone who can act and sing circles around Alli. It's our standby Laura Woyasz."

The only way that that statement could be true would be if Alli Mauzey was tone deaf and the worst actress since Paris Hilton. I saw Laura Woyasz go on in Los Angeles, and her performance as Glinda was dreadful. She had absolutely zero energy (an essential component of Glinda), no change in her character throughout the whole show, and a voice that was, to be charitable, was servicable. The only worse performance I have ever seen in Wicked was Kristy Cates. Hearing Elphaba sung in a head voice the whole show was an experience that was about as pleasurable as slamming my hand in my car door.

Kate Loprest, on the other hand, would be a worthy successor to any Glinda. Her performance had depth, energy, an arc, and was vocally superior to the many other Glindas I have seen. I hope she is eventually given the opportunity to continue in the role full time in some company of the show.

Mel089
#196re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 11:00pm

urgh dee roscioli, erin mackey and jennifer dinoia! what a dull cast--i think the current touring cast is the strongest and would much prefer to see donna & katie on broadway

NickChopper
#197re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 11:17pm

Updated On: 8/11/12 at 11:17 PM

BwayBoundJoe Profile Photo
BwayBoundJoe
#198re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 11:42pm

I hope Alli decides to come back. Alli and a few others I wouldnt mind coming back to the show.

Formally Stews_Bitch::: Shows in the 2010 Season for me. 101 Dalmations tour - Jan 24th, Xanadu Tour - Mar 9th and 10th, Wicked - May 14th, Legally Blonde - June 12th:::::::Upcoming - South Pacific, Young Frankinstein (Two Cities) Rock of Ages (Two Cities) Shrek (3 Cities) Les Mis, DreamGirls, Spring Awakening, Color Purple, and 9 to 5!

TheatreDork2
#199re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/25/09 at 11:58pm

Alli & Nicole want to come back eventually together.

Videos