News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21- Page 7

Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21

provocation Profile Photo
provocation
#150re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/22/09 at 3:10am

To say "let's see you get up on stage..." is quite possibly the worst comeback, ever.

I know, right?

Shubert Alley Cat Profile Photo
Shubert Alley Cat
#151re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/22/09 at 12:09pm

OK, so I saw Dee's debut last night. I do not have a clue what the haters are talking about . . . she was fantastic! She was in fabulous voice and brought some interesting character choices to the role. Dee was clearly moved by her Broadway debut at the curtain call. The audience loved her. Congrats!

Also, Alli Mauzey rocks! She was sooooo good, hilarious, and touching.

These two make a great team.

The show is in great shape. I loved it yet again.

AlliMauzeyFan  Profile Photo
AlliMauzeyFan
#152re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/22/09 at 5:09pm

Has anyone got any clips of Nicoles last show and Dee's first? I'd really love to see Nicoles last 'For Good' with Alli.

~*I've heard it said, that people come into our lives for a reason, bringing something we must learn and we are led, to those who help us most to grow, if we let them, and we help them in return*~

NickChopper
#153re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/22/09 at 7:08pm

Updated On: 8/11/12 at 07:08 PM

BwayBoundJoe Profile Photo
BwayBoundJoe
#154re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/22/09 at 7:10pm

First off, If anyone filmed the show, I HIGHLY doubt that 1. It would be out by now and 2. It would be on youtube just so people could see it.

Formally Stews_Bitch::: Shows in the 2010 Season for me. 101 Dalmations tour - Jan 24th, Xanadu Tour - Mar 9th and 10th, Wicked - May 14th, Legally Blonde - June 12th:::::::Upcoming - South Pacific, Young Frankinstein (Two Cities) Rock of Ages (Two Cities) Shrek (3 Cities) Les Mis, DreamGirls, Spring Awakening, Color Purple, and 9 to 5!

TheatreDork2
#155re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/22/09 at 7:13pm

No...... They would not on Youtube. Traders HATE that. Also, NO one but the master will have it for at least a month.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#156re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 12:58am

I saw her tonight....

I will start by saying that she has a VERY good voice. She had no trouble with the score, and you never once wondered if she'd make it up to the high notes. Very strong vocal performance. Her vocal highlight was defying Gravity.

That being said, she is about as exciting to watch onstage as paint drying. She had zero presence, and her acting was just very blah. Not bad, just boring, boring, boring. I was never once drawn to her onstage, when there were others onstage with her. Her predecessor, Nicole Parker, acted circles around her, and had a lot more presence. Roscioli just sort of seemed like she was going through the motions with the acting...dull as dishwater. She definitely felt like the 9th replacement.

I've seen Alli Mauzey's Glinda many times since she took over, and she has never once given a bad performance. She's always full of energy, feeding off the audience, and constantly adding nuances to her performance. She is absolutely the most entertaining, and in my opinion, best Glinda they've had since Chenoweth.

Jerad Bortz was on as Fiyero tonight. He actually made me miss Kevin Kern.

Updated On: 7/24/09 at 12:58 AM

TheatreDork2
#157re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 1:01am

I hated Alli when she started, but now I can't get enough of her. Dee is as dull as everyone said she was going to be?

Soliantu Profile Photo
Soliantu
#158re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 1:15am

Saw her perform songs from the show at Bryant Park today, She was pretty good

bubbleblonde
#159re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 1:28am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjIoBGo2Gvk
It was alright. Her singing is good but sometimes her voice gets nasal and whiney, nothing special there. I can see what people mean when they say she's boring, it seems uninspired and she's pretty emotionless until the last minute where it looks like she's about to start sobbing.

BwayBoundJoe
#160re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 1:57am

Dee Roscioli...Featuring the Fire Trucks singing the Wizard and I.

Formally Stews_Bitch::: Shows in the 2010 Season for me. 101 Dalmations tour - Jan 24th, Xanadu Tour - Mar 9th and 10th, Wicked - May 14th, Legally Blonde - June 12th:::::::Upcoming - South Pacific, Young Frankinstein (Two Cities) Rock of Ages (Two Cities) Shrek (3 Cities) Les Mis, DreamGirls, Spring Awakening, Color Purple, and 9 to 5!

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#161re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 2:25am

I'm not gonna lie, she was much worse when she first started as Elphaba. I think towards the end of her Chicago run her acting improved immensely. So Broadway hasn't seen her worst. But I do agree that since Elphaba is a strong, passionate personality that we need someone with AS strong of acting to pull off that personality. I think her voice is one of the best out of any Elphaba, personally. Overall, I give her a thumbs up.

Plus, at the stage door she is one of the nicest, most humble people you will ever meet. :)
(I got a picture with her, but i'm extremely ugly in it because my nostrils are somehow flared lol)

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek
Updated On: 7/24/09 at 02:25 AM

Mel089
#162re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 2:32am

best voices? a bit generous....

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#163re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 2:58am

IMO (VOCALLY)...

Dee Roscioli>Idina Menzel
Dee Roscioli>Nicole Parker
Dee Roscioli>Shoshana Bean
Dee Roscioli>Eden Espinosa (yes, I said it)
Dee Roscioli< Steph J Block
Dee Roscioli>Ana Gasteyer
Dee Roscioli>Carmen Cusack
Dee Roscioli< Cristy Cates
Dee Roscioli>Kerry Ellis
Dee Roscioli< Lisa Brescia
Dee Roscioli< Julia Murney
Dee Roscioli>Marcie Dodd
Dee Roscioli>Teal Wicks
Dee Roscioli>Vicki Noon

So, to answer your question Mel, Yes.

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek
Updated On: 7/24/09 at 02:58 AM

heo1128
#165re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 3:04am

I saw Dee a handful of times in Chicago and really grew to love her, and thought she was phenomenal at the end of her run. But, in all honesty, at first I didn't care for her Elphaba. I completely understand where people are coming from when they say she has no stage presence etc. Her acting is VERY subtle, which probably isn't what most people want. But she does have a spectacular voice, and I don't think it's a long shot at all to claim she has one of the best voices.

And as onedaymore said, she could not be nicer at the stage door.
Updated On: 7/24/09 at 03:04 AM

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#166re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 3:07am

Now that I think about it, I think Dee tries to make her acting as real as possible. One of my friends asked her at the stage door what kind of acting tips she had, and Dee said to make it real. Problem is, with a big show like Wicked, you can't really have a lot of just plain ol' "real". It's gotta be a little obnoxious once in a while. Just a "maybe" thought...

Updated On: 7/24/09 at 03:07 AM

Mel089
#167re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 3:23am

a ranking that lists dee, lisa and julia as the best singers?? lol, enough said!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#168re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 3:24am

Sorry, not buying the "subtle" or "real" business.

It was boring. Plain and simple.

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#169re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 3:28am

Lol I don't think old weak lungs has got anything on me and my homegirls.

Who is "old weak lungs"?

Mel089
#170re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 3:33am

Subtlety =/= nonchalance and underacting. Her acting is as boring as her singing. Sorry, she might be sweet but it's true. If you got her to sing against Stephanie/Eden/Kerry/Shoshana and plenty of others I doubt she'd cause them much trouble. Her voice doesn't have a great deal of power, range or agility.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#171re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 3:50am

Roscioli was originally hired as a cover for Kristy Cates, and that's exactly what she is- a powerful set of pipes with no distinctive choices or individual presence, just as most solid standbys are when in the shadow of a principal.

She's ideal in the minds of the producers because of her incredible vocal stamina, but her lack of flair renders her painfully boring (though incredibly sweet.)

Fortunately, if the rumors of the terrific Erin Mackey bringing her Glinda to the Broadway company this fall are true, that should lighten up the proceedings significantly.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

DefyGravity777
#172re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 7:48am

Dee's humor is different than most Elphaba's. She has a dry almost British sense of humor that people think is boring.

I also agree with onedaymore in that Dee has the best voice out of everyone that I have seen.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

BwayBoundJoe
#173re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 10:56am

Shoshana would be my favorite if she didn't riff all the damn time.

bubbleblonde
#174re: Dee Roscioli Takes Over Elphaba on Broadway on July 21
Posted: 7/24/09 at 11:14am

Wow, I feel alone for saying it but I really don't think she's the best singer, far from it. And I agree that she's boring and underacts.

Videos