News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25- Page 3

Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25

dream on
#50re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/29/07 at 1:12am

What a nasty comment. I hope people dont act that way to you when you are very sick. Like I said this board is made up of some hateful miserable people.

Lets just hope she gets better soon.

TheAppleTree
#51re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/29/07 at 1:24am

Oh don't be so melodramatic, dream on. "Get rid of her" means let her out of her contract, it doesn't mean take her out to Jersey somewhere and whack her.

So what hospital is she in? When will we get a press release? And if she's so sick what was she doing at that Alicia Keys party when she should have been resting and recuperating?

She's sick alright, sick of Broadway. Updated On: 10/29/07 at 01:24 AM

autoprt Profile Photo
autoprt
#52re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/29/07 at 1:40am

since reading the comments from the here it was obvious Fantasia wasn't welcome from the beginning. luckily for her she focused and did a great job as Celie when many experts from this forum expected the show to close a week after her opening.

until we hear an official statement everything else is conjecture and speculation and a waste of time.

as for the Grammy comment, her song with Aretha was just released and won't be eligible to be voted on until late 2008.

believe me her recording fans are looking forward to her return to the industry just as much as the "broadway experts" here are looking forward to her departure.

dream on i understand the passion but you can't argue with people who already "know everything."

Updated On: 10/29/07 at 01:40 AM

#53re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/29/07 at 4:24am

So Dream On, if you aren't an obsessed fan making excuses for your idol, who are you?

"I hope people dont act that way to you when you are very sick."

"Are you going to call the critics, producers, writers, Academy Award winners and Tony winners obsessed fans too? Because they are in full support of Fantasia with this role. Do you want a list of these people?"

"She is evidently very sick and either still is or has recently been hospitalized, though for what I'm not entirely sure."

"But don't worry January 6th will be here before you know it and Fantasia will no longer be with The Color Purple i'm sure some of you guys will have a big send off party for her until her next Broadway gig comes along. So until then Peaceout!"

Those were the comments I was referring to.

peaceone
#54re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/29/07 at 6:49am

"She was out tonight, but the show was just as good without her. I say get rid of her."

So she was out again..damn i feel for the ticket holders i don't understand what is going on..no official annoucement is just wrong.

dream on
#55re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/29/07 at 8:49am

Autoport- thanks.

About the grammys - she and Aretha are eligible for a Grammy this year because the song went for ADDS by October 1st.

Joe- I can't take all the credit for those statements you attribute to me. I think you are combining all the support on this board and lumping it together as one fan. lol.

Go back and read again -

I think the Producers are fully aware of Fantasia's situation and will not make any official announcement unless they are sure Fantasia cannot continue.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#56re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/29/07 at 8:55am

Won the World Theater Award and Audience award so me personally your little theory is null and void..lol

In the words of Jackie Hoffman, "For my performance in HAIRSPRAY, I won the Theatre World Award. Yeah, they give out about 40 of those a year."

And don't get me started on those laughable Broadway.com Audience Awards.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 10/29/07 at 08:55 AM

topaz22
#57re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/29/07 at 8:59am

We went to see TCP on Saturday, 10/27 and Fantasia was not there.

peaceone
#58re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/29/07 at 9:23am

"I think the Producers are fully aware of Fantasia's situation and will not make any official announcement unless they are sure Fantasia cannot continue."

I tend to disagree,i could understand if she was out for a day or two but she missed the whole week and some people travel far, thats why i said what i did...i got love for Fantasia but business is business.

Wanna Be A Foster
#59re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/29/07 at 9:38am

peaceone:

Exactly. Business is business. As the producers continue to keep the ticket-buying public in the dark, these folks will continue to dish out the cash and buy more tickets.

On the nights 'tasia ("I'll 'tasia, bro!") doesn't show, even if some people ask for refunds, a good amount will not, and money will still be made.

As you said, this is a business. Money needs to be made, and the only people losing out are those who continue to dish out their hard earned money to see a star who doesn't think it's important enough to show up.

The producers will continue to sit back and count their money. The angry patrons are dealt with by the box office staff, anyway. No skin off the money makers' backs.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

Fosse76
#60re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/29/07 at 10:53am

"So what hospital is she in? When will we get a press release?"

Medical information in this country is private and confidential, and by no stretch of any law do you have any right to know that information.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#61re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/29/07 at 11:44am

"It cracks me up how the ushers are bad mouthing Fantasia. They have no idea how hard that role is - and I'm not talking about the singing. Tony award winner and Broadway Vet LaChanze was absent more than Fantasia has been. So I guess Broadway vets have no more "professionalism" than a "reality" show winner. Fantasia has been in the business for over 4 years and has always been very professional while touring. She is also very respected in the music industry. 10 to 1 her absences are always justified."

Cellie is not a difficult role. There is almost no singing, until the end. I think The Color Purple's authors made a mistake doing this and it made the already medicore show worse, but that's beside the point. LaChanze has a bad habit of missing shows for Color Purple (as she has had for every show she has done) and it seems to me that 'Tasia is following in her footsteps.
Note to Oprah-
FIRE HER 'SISTAH!

(Don't take that serioulsy either Some people are getting very sensetive about hardworking thespians such as 'Tasia being out of work AND... I know since opening night Oprah hasn't even showed up at the Broadway Theatre so she really has little control.)

Updated On: 10/29/07 at 11:44 AM

HollidayForever Profile Photo
HollidayForever
#62re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/29/07 at 12:55pm

First of all, to say that the role isn't that demanding is crazy. First of all, she sings throughout the show, whether its small little interludes between songs such as "Or your no God at all" which is belted. "The high note at the end of Miss Celie's Pants" or her eleven o' clock number I'm here. Granted, everything she sings isn't that vocally demanding, however, when you have too sing seven shows a week, do publicity, and try to have a life. Singing something as easy as twinkle twinkle little star becomes demanding to someone who isn't use to the demands of broadway. Not to mention the acting the show requires is enough to make anyone tired just looking at it. I have seen her in the role and I have seen Lachanze twice, and both of them gives emotionally exhausting performances. Its easy to judge when your on the outside looking in. I'm an actor and I know pulling that kind of schedule is hard for the most seasoned professional.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#63re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/29/07 at 3:44pm

Listen, Christine Ebersole played Big and Little Edie in Grey Gardens with a wonderful attendance record, aside from a few days here and there that were all announced prior to the performance, Patti LuPone rarely missed a performance playing Mrs. Lovett and Michael Cerveris NEVER missed a performance playing Sweeney Todd. David Hyde Pierce has a wonderful record playing the leading role in Curtains. The list goes on and on. These people that I have listed (and several others) love what they're doing. They take it seriously. They'll give great performances with few missed shows for the rest of their life.
Fantasia is an American Idol loser (Well, really "winner" but you get my drift.) who could give a rat's ass about being a working actor, pleasing an audience that pays far too much money to go to the theatre and delivering. If she's missing that much and the role is fairly easy, it's gotta be true.

BringItON
#64re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/29/07 at 9:35pm

I think the producers will definitely cut Fantasia some slack because she is bringing in so much money for this show. She really may be sick. I am of the mindset that she probably wasn't physically prepared for such a grueling schedule and it is catching up with her now.

BringItON
#65re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/29/07 at 9:50pm

Oh, and I just have to add, regarding people talking back during the show: It drives me insane. There is a real lack of theater etiquette these days. I have seen numerous shows, and what people fail to realize is the fact that they are ruining the show for other theater goers. Not everyone is interested, nor amused by people yelling "go girl!". It completely ruins the experience for some of us.

Unfortunately, all 3 times I have seen the show, there were rude people completely unaware of the idea of etiquette.

Wanna Be A Foster
#66re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/30/07 at 1:02am

The first time I saw THE COLOR PURPLE (the third preview), the audience was doing the talking back and I loved it! I found it so liberating. It really added to my enjoyment of the show. Ive been back five times since and continue to love hearing my fellow audience members discover what I love about this show. It's not like anything I've experienced at any other show, but it fits with this show specifically.

-Kad

musicalsFan
#67re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/30/07 at 9:54am

Autoport,

No. really? People on here gunning for Fantasia from the word go. Say it ain't so. Is it that obvious? You mean, that these folks here have held a grudge since she was cast?

On the other had, certainly, you must find it touching. Absolute touching...

To see a bunch of white folks pretending to be so concerned about the audiences that have come far away to see The Color Purple and not seeing Fantasia.

It does a body good to see all this "concern" from THESE white people. I mean wow. They "care" so much.

The hypocrisy and the irony and the lunancy that is BWW.

Updated On: 10/30/07 at 09:54 AM

hilltop
#68re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/30/07 at 11:47am

Christine Ebersole got slammed at the end of her run for missing shows, too. Audra McDonald and Donna Murphy as well. So this thread is nothing new. It's just that Fantasia seems to attract more bashers. And by the way, to the Diana Degarmo fans here (yes a few still exist), it's been three and a half years, maybe it's time to move on.

Fantasia had an excellent attendance record until late summer when she got sick. We don't know her current medical condition (except that she was in the hospital), but I do know that Fantasia has performed as Celie while very ill and throwing up backstage.

Even if Fantasia never steps on the stage again, she managed to perform a miracle---a pure stage novice, who had never even seen a Broadway show, stepped into one of the most demanding roles on Broadway and received critical raves better than the Tony winner preceding her. There are countless stories of people who have been thrilled and moved by her performance, some even calling it a life changing event.

Even with her recent absences, if you are in the area and have an opportunity to see Fantasia, go for it. If she's out, you'll get a full refund. But don't take my word for it. Here's another in a long line of Broadway articles/reviews extolling Fantasia:

"By definition, miracles don't occur very often -- and they're almost always one-time events, easily missed by the masses. It goes without saying that if a miracle is scheduled to happen regularly for several months, one would be a fool not to make plans to witness it. . . . Just how phenomenal is she in the part? Well, a theater critic friend of mine who caught her performance before I did told me Fantasia had stopped the show with a song that he didn't even remember La Chanze singing. When I saw Fantasia for myself, I felt that all of the raves she had received were understatements. . . ."
link

BringItON
#69re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/30/07 at 1:19pm

I understand that some people enjoy hearing the whole back and forth with members of the audience. It just can't be assumed that everyone will be enthralled by it, and it definitely does not fit with this show as far as I'm concerned. However, it is something that theater goers will have to get comfortable with, because this show draws the interactive crowd I guess. I stick with the same rules for every show. I wouldn't do anything that may disturb other audience members, this is why there is such a thing as theater etiquette. Unfortunately, a high percentage of the crowds attending shows these days have no clue about that.

Some people think its okay to talk back to the screen at movie theaters too, depending on what the movie is about. Same type of people go to broadway shows I suppose. Unfortunately.

dream on
#70re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/30/07 at 2:50pm

Bringiton:

This show is made for feedback from the audience.

I'm sure some of the people talking back at this show go to other shows and are respectful.

And HILLTOP - GREAT POST.
Let's see how many people ignore it and focus on the negative.

Updated On: 10/30/07 at 02:50 PM

EddieGoing Profile Photo
EddieGoing
#71re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/30/07 at 6:28pm

heard similar things about her absences as everyone else - also heard that she's performed while drunk. as troubling as this can be, a part of me would want to see the show >knowing< that she was going to be drunk :) - could be fun.

"Because no battle is ever won he said. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and despair, and victory is an allusion of philosophers and fools." :) -William Faulkner

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#72re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/30/07 at 7:25pm

"Christine Ebersole got slammed at the end of her run for missing shows, too. Audra McDonald and Donna Murphy as well."

Almost all of Ms. Ebersole's missed performances in Grey Gardens, to my knowledge, were previosuly announced. There may have been one or two that were not. There weren't all that many anyway. She also had a more demanding role than Fantasia, a MUCH more demanding role. Also, from the time she won the Tony to the unfortunate closing of the show, I do not think she missed. Saying that "at the end of her run" she was slammed for missing performances is slander.
Ms. McDonald missed performances in 110 in the Shade due to the unexepected death of her father. That role is also more demanding than Fantasia's.
Ms. Murphy was only out once or twice in LoveMusik and was going through a serious vocal ailment durring Wonderful Town, not a minor tinge. Both the roles of Ruth and Lenya in those shows are much more difficult than Fantasia.
Let's face it. Fantasia is a pop star doing "the Broadway thing. She is being lazy. The superb theatre actresses I mentioned got their roots on Broadway and will continue to do it for the rest of their lives. They are not lazy. I can tell you now that I saw Ms. Ebersole do Grey Gardens with a rather nasty cold durring January and she was quite wonderful. Fantasia would probably not be there.
Updated On: 10/30/07 at 07:25 PM

peaceone
#73re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/30/07 at 7:44pm

^
It seems your a little ticked off that Fantasia is not a trained actor and came in and got such amazing reviews and is the toast of Broadway..Just relax her run in up in January.

hilltop
#74re: Fantasia out again Thursday 10/25
Posted: 10/30/07 at 9:12pm

jv, I hesitate to respond to you, because you seem to have some obsession towards Fantasia and I don't want to get you going. (lol)

My point in referencing Ebersole, Audra and Donna Murphy was not to suggest that they are lazy (they're not!) but to point out that Fantasia is not the first leading Broadway actress to be criticized on this board for missing shows. Beginning of the run, end of the run, whatever. I wasn't talking about Audra in 110, but she has been criticized in the past for taking time off. So have Tony winners like Donna Murphy, Christine Ebersole, and LaChanze.

"from the time she won the Tony to the unfortunate closing of the show, I do not think she missed."
Wrong. I know Ebersole took at least one show off in the last week or so because there was a thread here titled "shame shame" that went after her for it. Ridiculous, but there it is.

And she was criticized for taking time off around the Tonys.

As for your claim that the role of Celie is a cake walk, I think many who have seen the show would disagree. See HollidayForever's statement: "to say that the role isn't that demanding is crazy."

Did you see the show with LaChanze? Maybe she didn't make a strong impact on you. It's hard to imagine that someone could watch Fantasia in the Color Purple and not come away with a degree of respect for the demands of the role. For months she's received rave reviews like this one, from talkinbroadway just a couple of weeks ago:

"Fantasia knocks this out of the park. I thought she'd be good, but I was not expecting this incredibly layered, nuanced performance that she is giving. She sings the role great, of course, but she really does act it very well, and ages wonderfully as the show goes on. I was blown away by this performance, and hope she continues to do theater after this is over, because she's amazingly talented. I was deeply moved by her performance. I was VERY close to queuing up at TKTS again to buy a ticket for the evening show.

This afternoon was the second time I saw a mid-show standing ovation (the first was when Stokes sang "Impossible Dream" in the MOLM revival). It was, of course, after Fantasia finished "I'm Here." The audience jumped to its feet as she was on the last note. It wasn't the least bit forced or drawn out, either."

Videos