News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 156

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3875Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 12:19am

I still don't get the mix of accents. I mean, why does Jack sound like the Artful Dodger and Little Red just sound like a precocious American girl? Are they supposed to have grown up continents apart and then converged upon this village outside the woods? I know, I know, I'm trying to be logical about fantasy - a hybrid of fairy tales - but they just sound like they come from different movie worlds.

Updated On: 12/16/14 at 12:19 AM

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#3876Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 12:28am

Was lucky enough to see an advanced screening here in NYC. Into the Woods is my favorite show so I was pretty wary going in.

Without going into too much detail, it's a really REALLY good film. Nothing incredible (at least for long stretches of time), but it's definitely very satisfying.

The film is strikingly beautiful and is just about perfect in the visuals department. There are several songs that will absolutely give you goosebumps (and that huge orchestra!!), while others aren't quite as successful.

The cast - on the whole - is really quite good, especially Emily Blunt and Meryl Streep (wait till you see Stay with me and Last Midnight. Holy WOW).

My biggest problem with the film was that much of it felt....rushed, mostly to get as much in as possible. There's a big cut (I won't say what) that makes the transition from one scene to the next pretty jarring, and it doesn't give you time to adjust, or let everything sink in. I suppose this was necessary, though, given the shorter time needed for films.

Overall, it's about as good an adaptation of the musical as one could hope for (with a few missteps), knowing full well that it would have been impossible to fully capture everything that went on stage. Definitely looking forward to seeing it again next week.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#3877Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 1:22am

"As much as I can't wait for this, I can't imagine reviews being overly positive"

Well yeah that's what tends to happen when a film gets mixed reactions. But apparently bringing that up is blasphemy on this site..Into The Woods is going to win Best Picture!

jimmycurry01
#3878Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 1:44am

I don't think anyone is insisting that this will win best picture, nor have I seen anything remotely close to harshness toward any of the mixed reviews. As for bad reviews, I haven't really seen one here yet.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3879Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 2:08am

Bacon just won't be satisfied until someone trashes the movie and then she call pull a "told ya so!"

degrassifan
#3880Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:21am

I wouldn't say the reactions are mixed. Mixed to me means half-good, half-bad. From what I've read on this long thread, responses seem to mostly positive. The few negative reactions weren't even that bad. As for Best Picture, no one is insisting that this will win or even be nominated; however, there's nothing wrong with being hopeful and optimistic about a film's success. High expectations give people something to look forward to.

Mrtrobz
#3881Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 6:41am

I think the main problem that people may have with the film is that it is relatively Fairytale to begin with even harking to Maleficent with the narration and after that there is a very definite tonal shift but the first act feels complete and fun and the second drags into a darker slow burning film with a twenty minute gap without music about 70 minutes is the first act and that feels like a completed arc to the viewers expecting a Disney Fairytale.

Updated On: 12/16/14 at 06:41 AM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#3882Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:39am

^ Huh?!

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#3883Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 8:07am

"Bacon just won't be satisfied until someone trashes the movie and then she call pull a "told ya so!"

Nah I don't think anyone will trash this film. It looks like an okay bag.

Mrtrobz
#3884Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 8:10am

^From what the general consensus is saying, we are aware of what to expect as a fan of the show but the audience may go in having not seen it they could think it could have wrapped at the end of Act One and be too different in the second half when we get to the more adult territory, it's very much a two part film with complete stories and was probably always going to be hard to handle because Act One could be a complete show in itself.

The film is established as the tale of a Baker and his Wife wanting to lift a curse whilst getting their wishes granted and intertwining with other characters who also want wishes, the first half of the play/film sees that happen and there for the established narrative plot has been completed and theoretically could end, to open up a new storyline and objective half way into the film after the initial plot line has been completed may compromise the film/play with the tonal shift and a new plot introduced after having ended the expectant one. I personally love the moral implication introduced in the Ever After period as it enhances the character driven drama but I do see why some won't like it having sat through an enjoyable Fairytale plot but structurally as a film there is usually three acts and the adaptation may not resonate as it has a very definite two act structure.

Where most films have a start, middle and end this one has a start and an end in the middle and then it establishes a new plot straight after and harks to the end with out a definitive mid-point unless you count the Giants attack as the Middle rather than the start of Act two. As the initial established plot wraps up in the first half with all characters appeased and all resolutions met the audience miss out on a full middle section because they open a new plot instead of leaving the initial plot open to develop through to the end.

If we compare other musical film adaptations we can see they fit the three act structure better, Les Mis for example has Javert still chasing after Val Jean and Chicago continues to be in jail through to the second act making the overall plot much easier to adapt to a three act film structure. In this film nothing from Act One is left open ended for them to continue with a set storyline through to the end, although added emphasis on when Cinderella throws the beans and we see a second beanstalk start to form in the film literally plants the seeds for what is to come but as we see the giant slain we disregard that this could technically be the middle part of the film had more emphasis been placed.

I hope I summed up what I meant to say correctly and not confused too many people. Haha! :p

Updated On: 12/16/14 at 08:10 AM

tenorphil81
#3885Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 10:55am

Though we won't be hearing "No More" or "Ever After" as actual songs in this adaptation, I'm glad to know that they will be used to enhance the mood. It's a great way to honor the original material. I was always amused at how in CABARET, instrumental versions of "It Couldn't Please Me More" and "Don't Tell Mama" popped up as the music on Sally's phonograph.

CarlosAlberto
#3886Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 10:58am

I still think Chris Pine sounds like a 72 year old lounge singer who just ate several peanut butter sandwiches...

@HorseTears: The father of my children DOES NOT sound like some 72 year old lounge singer who just ate several peanut butter sandwiches. Don't get it twisted.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3887Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 11:19am

Carlos, he's adorable, but that singing voice is just bizarre. It's the way I imagine Alan Rickman might sound in a musical.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3888Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 11:21am

It's the way I imagine Alan Rickman might sound in a musical.

Like in Sweeney Todd?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JivxdDwr478

Updated On: 12/16/14 at 11:21 AM

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3889Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 11:23am

God that was awful. Think I'm repressing memories of that dreadful film.

indytallguy
#3890Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 11:46am

Creamy or Crunchy peanut butter?

CarlosAlberto
#3891Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 12:20pm

^ Ha!! That's clever!

Is it bad I have "Agony" on repeat?

CarlosAlberto
#3892Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 12:24pm

For anyone who missed it, my baby daddy was on GMA this morning promoting the film:

indytallguy
#3893Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 12:25pm

Could he have been any cuter?

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#3894Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 12:29pm

Carlos, what would Daniel Sunjata think?!?

CarlosAlberto
#3895Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 12:31pm

Daniel Sunjata would think that I'm a whore....lol

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#3896Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 12:36pm

He'd understand. It's Chris Pine.

JulesReverie Profile Photo
JulesReverie
#3897Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 12:45pm

Chris Pine's voice for some reason reminds me of Michael C. Hall

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#3898Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 12:47pm

The 'Last Midnight' instrumental at the end of the album is jaw-droppingly amazing. I assume it's in the credits.

The orchestrations throughout are incredible, but I agree that the "Last Midnight" instrumental is stunning. I really couldn't be more pleased with the recording!

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#3899Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 12:54pm

just finished listening to my newly arrived copy of INTO THE WOODS...and after wiping away tears of joy for the lush orchestrations and the wonderfully acted vocals all i can say is IMPRESSIVE IN EVERY WAY!

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos