News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 154

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3825Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 12:40pm

Eh, Alan would've sung it the same and his choices in film roles have been REALLY IFFY. I'm glad that Depp got to do another Sondheim musical and besides, he's only in it for about 6-7 minutes of the entire film from what I've heard.

smallvillefan16
#3826Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 2:33pm

I'm very impressed with the singing of the cast. James/Johnny are the two weakest links, but even they can carry a tune. Blown away by Chris Pine's voice. I had no idea Anna was that much of a soprano, Lila is great as well as Daniel. Both Emily and Meryl sound great.

Starship
#3827Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 2:46pm

My favorites so far have definitely been Lilla and Meryl.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#3828Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 3:32pm

"And who would need a husband only for practical reasons? That's...really terrible, to be married just to live. I know that women in once upon a time may have had to marry for exactly those reasons, to eat and live, but I feel like the Baker's Wife would not be so mean and shallow a person to do so. She loved the Baker once, and still does, doesn't she?"

Jesus, you're putting way too much thought into that line. Instead of scrutinizing the one line, why don't you look at it in reference to the whole song, as it was meant to be experienced? Yes, she loves the baker. But marriage is tough and once the thrill of new love and adventure is gone (in their case, having to make the potion and finally having a child), do you settle into the groove of the same old day after day or do you go searching for more moments in the woods? She ultimately decides that, though moments are exciting and can be wonderful, they're not satisfying enough on their own and, in fact, having her own "moment" makes her appreciate what she already has all the more. Also, It's not mean or shallow to need or desire stability.

"Am I the only who thought Meryl's swerve when talking to the Baker and his wife in the "have the curse reversed" clip was really weird and just one flaw in her acting there?"

Yes, you are.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 12/14/14 at 03:32 PM

Showface
#3829Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 3:57pm

^I agree ENTIRELY.

The Bakers Wife is a character that was never satisfied with her life with the Baker, especially in Act 2.

She seems to yearn for excitement and a perfect "fairy-tale life." Which is one of the reasons why she asks Cinderella about the Prince all the time, because she figured it's the closest she could get to that experience (until later). She even says "all I have ahead of me is tomorrow's bread"

In "Moments in the Woods" she's evaluating her life, and in the lyric of discussion she's still in the "all I have ahead of me is tomorrow's bread" state of mind. Then when she says "makes the or mean more than it did before", she realizes that life with her husband and child is satisfying enough.

And Meryl's swerve was pretty cool IMO Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

Musical Master
#3830Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 8:07pm

Meryl's swerve was classy. Her "Last Midnight" is something to behold when you're listening to it.

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#3831Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 8:15pm

Someone get Streep in a Broadway musical.

Musical Master
#3832Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 8:19pm

@Shakin Maybe if Donna Murphy isn't cast as Norma Desmond for a Broadway run, even though she is in the reading, maybe Streep could replace her.

ShakinBaconGirl
#3833Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 8:22pm

That's funny cause I think Streep was rumored to play Norma in the original show also. Yes she would be great as Norma. Gosh I love the little change they made to Last Midnight nearing the end. Fantastic.

Musical Master
#3834Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 8:27pm

That's true, Andrew did look at a long list of famous movie actress to play Norma for the L.A. run and Streep was one of them. Then when Andrew tried to get a film adaptation off the ground he considered Streep for the part, at this point I WANT them to hire her and slay the role better than anyone has ever done since Gloria Swanson in the 1950 film.

ShakinBaconGirl
#3835Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 8:42pm

Yeah, too bad the show is a mess. Streep should just play The Witch in the 2016 Into The Woods revival.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3836Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 8:50pm

Meryl's swerve was classy. Her "Last Midnight" is something to behold when you're listening to it.

As opposed to when you're not listening to it?

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#3837Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 9:17pm

I still think that Streep should've been Mrs. Lovett in the Sweeney Todd film.
If they ever remake Cabaret (which they should) I would love to see her play Fraulein Schneider with maybe Mandy Patinkin as Herr Shultz.

Showface
#3838Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 9:44pm

Two new TV Spots premiered this weekend (none have surfaced online yet).

One was pretty neat and it featured some Any Moment footage.

The second one was a standout. It was another Golden-Globe trailer, and it featured Children Will Listen as it's background music...it was really beautiful and I can't wait for it to surface online.

If Streep doesn't do a Broadway show, I hope that in some way, shape, or form, we get to hear/see her perform another Sondheim song. I have two songs I want her to do:

Could I Leave You and Send in the Clowns

Musical Master
#3839Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 10:09pm

@HorseTears, Come now I haven't seen the film yet.

@Showface, I saw the new TV spot during ONCE UPON A TIME and it was amazing.

indytallguy
#3840Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 10:26pm

Maybe someone could organize a "Stars Sing Sondheim" concert event in which Streep and others could perform.

BwayFan23768
#3841Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 11:15pm

The soundtrack is now available to download on iTunes!

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#3842Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 11:38pm

Wow, how long has the Deluxe Soundtrack been available for download today? It's already the #14 on iTunes Top Albums. Not just soundtracks. Albums.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

BwayFan23768
#3843Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 11:45pm

It's been up for at least one hour.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3844Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 11:50pm

I have no doubt that the soundtrack will be a huge seller. Especially once the movie is officially released.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3845Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/15/14 at 12:25am

About to run by the nearest 24-hour store to buy the hard copy of the deluxe edition! Hopefully they have it on the shelf, as it is usual music is released on Tuesdays.

Musical Master
#3846Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/15/14 at 12:59am

I'm going to get the 2-disc soundtrack on Christmas Day so I'm excited to own it.

Michael Kras Profile Photo
Michael Kras
#3847Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/15/14 at 1:56am

Check out my review of the Into the Woods movie soundtrack here:

http://castalbumreview.blogspot.ca/2014/12/album-review-into-woods-original-motion.html

Even more excited for the film release this month now.

jimmycurry01
#3848Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/15/14 at 2:43am

"If they ever remake Cabaret (which they should)"

I'm sorry, what? Why? Cabaret is generally considered to be one of the best movie musicals ever made.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#3849Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/15/14 at 6:50am

I listening to it now and I LOVE it!

I got the free download when I bought the hard copy from amazon (which is arriving today!)

I've played the OBCR (literally) scores of times, so I figured the sdtk would disappoint on some level. But so far it's glorious.

Even Johnny Depp (who I thought desecrated Sweeney Todd) sounds wonderful on Hello Little Girl.

And Huttlestone, who I thought swallowed half his lyrics in Les Miz, sounds great.

Chris Pine - what a revelation!

The orchestrations, the cast, the extra instrumental tracks....basically I'm in nirvana.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 12/15/14 at 06:50 AM

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos