News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 157

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#3900Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 1:00pm

Yes! Any true Broadway/Sondheim fan would be a fool not to invest in the 2 Disc Deluxe Edition. The orchestrations on this recording are excellent. The performances are spot on. This score has never sounded better. I'll go on record and say that it's going to go down as pretty damn near definitive and a must have in any serious theater lovers music library.

Mrtrobz
#3901Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 1:09pm

The track One day left... I love it, Incant stop relistening just wish that mid-section where the music picks up was a bit longer.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#3902Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 1:10pm

I'll go on record and say that it's going to go down as pretty damn near definitive and a must have in any serious theater lovers music library.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3903Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 2:00pm

Chris Pine's voice is quite nice to the point where him as Joe Gillis in any production of ALW's SUNSET BOULEVARD wouldn't be unfounded.

So I read on IMDB about *SPOILERS!!* the change of Rapunzel's fate that was pretty interesting from user sarahb2. Here's a link to it

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2180411/board/thread/238058992

Starship
#3904Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 2:12pm

Chris Pine is giving me all the feels with that new haircut of his.

CarlosAlberto
#3905Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 2:15pm

@Starship: Hey, hey, hey: BACK OFF!

@Musical Master: Yeah that assessment by sarahb2 was ON POINT! I wholeheartedly agree with what she wrote.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3906Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 2:17pm

I'll go on record and say that it's going to go down as pretty damn near definitive and a must have in any serious theater lovers music library.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I third it!

Musical Master
#3907Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 2:26pm

@Carlos, I agree that the Witch's arc can work BOTH ways, some fans still don't understand it because it's not the same as it was on stage. Rob Marshall, Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine were careful about the cuts and changes made, I hope people understand that.

Updated On: 12/16/14 at 02:26 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3908Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 2:28pm

People have been used to the original way for nearly 30 (wow) years and in time I'm sure people will figure out or understand the reason the change was made and how it works with the rest of the film and the relationship with the Witch/how it affects her.

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
#3909Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 2:57pm

This Fandango review made me LOL. This person totally missed the point of the movie...

Last night we were invited to attend the a private screening in Tysons for "Into the Woods". I have never had this privilege with security guards and phone check-in. The only positive thing I can say about the movie is that Meryl Streep is a great singer - who knew? Do NOT take children to see this movie. Do NOT go to see it if you have ever been a victim of sexual abuse or child abuse. Do NOT go see this movie if mutilation and misogyny turn your stomach. I have no idea how it got a PG rating. This movie was without a doubt one of the worst movies that I have ever seen and very troubling in so many themes. I am thunderstruck that a movie marketed for families and children would carry a child predator theme! There was a distinct lack of excited chatter from the audience leaving the theater, and actually more a somber tone reigned. It took me several hours to get the material talked out of my head so that I could sleep. A real disappointment.

Musical Master
#3910Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 2:59pm

Wow, an online review FAIL.

CarlosAlberto
#3911Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:02pm

That review is PRICELESS!!

Wildcard
#3912Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:09pm

People would be throwing hizzy fits if they actually read the original tales by the brothers Grimm.

Starship
#3913Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:11pm

I'm going to frame that review and hang it up on my wall in case I need a good laugh one day.

mpd4165
#3914Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:11pm

Starship-You speak TRUTH about his new haircut.

OperaBwayLover Profile Photo
OperaBwayLover
#3915Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:13pm

This might be old news by now, but the deluxe edition of the soundtrack is on Spotify. Apologies if this has already been noted/shared.

Musical Master
#3916Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:17pm

That's okay, it's nice to share old news from time to time. It's so funny that Kate Winslet, Nicole Kidman, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Penelope Cruz, and Donna Murphy were the few considered to play The Witch.

CarlosAlberto
#3917Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:18pm

Oh you mean 1/2 the female cast of NINE and CHICAGO?

Musical Master
#3918Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:20pm

I know right? Thank God for Meryl Streep playing The Witch, either way it would've been awkward to see Kidman or Jones overplay The Witch. Nicole Kidman is more suited for Carlotta from FOLLIES.

Updated On: 12/16/14 at 03:20 PM

Starship
#3919Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:27pm

If they ever revive this (and she starts showing her face), sign me up for Sia as The Witch. Weird casting, but I think it'd be interesting and different than the norm.

Len6677
#3920Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:30pm

I can't remember the last time I've been so excited for a movie. Maybe never. I've been watching ITW since I was about 7 when it started playing on PBS, and I honestly never thought a movie version would/could be made. Kind of crazy that it's only about a week away now. It's been a fun journey keeping up with all of the information as it came out.

The soundtrack is fantastic. I got the Deluxe version from Amazon, but I was just in Target and noticed they had a bunch of the regular version (20 tracks) on sale for $10.99.

I think nearly everyone familiar with the show will have a minor gripe here and there, but when you step back and think about the fact that they actually managed pulled this off, I think any of those minor things can be easily forgotten.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3921Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:32pm

Donna Murphy only performed in the reading presented to Disney. I highly doubt she was ever considered for the film. Marshall has said in an interview that the casting process basically began with Meryl as the Witch.

Musical Master
#3922Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:35pm

True, but that doesn't mean that the STUDIO hasn't considered other people.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#3923Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 4:07pm

A bit OT, but does anyone know if licenses for Into the Woods are restricted in the five boroughs while the Pels production is going?

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Musical Master
#3924Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 4:50pm

And to think that Sophia Grace was almost cast as Little Red.... That could have been disastrous on many levels. That type of casting is like Gerard Butler ways.

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos