News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 158

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#3925Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 5:51pm

I would say that this is the definitive recording of Into the Woods if it contained the complete score, which of course it doesnt because it is a film. I really wish that they had recorded the entire score. God the orchestrations are beautiful.
I love the kind of jazzy end to Last Midnight.

And thank you Musical Master for bringing up the horror show that was Gerard Butler in Phantom. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thought that he was awful.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3926Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 6:10pm

@icecreambenjamin, you're very welcome. PHANTOM was a miscast disaster all around.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#3927Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 6:18pm

Gerard didn't bother me as much in Phantom as Minnie Driver did as Carlotta. Too young, not the right look or persona, bad comedienne-ship, and dubbed singing. Then again, Judy Kaye IS Carlotta to me so my opinion may not be very objective.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Musical Master
#3928Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 6:39pm

@Ado, WOAH! I didn't think I ever meet someone who wasn't bothered by Gerard. I hated him in it... Why couldn't they have gotten Hugh Jackman or Antonio Banderas? WHY?!

Updated On: 12/16/14 at 06:39 PM

icecreambenjamin
#3929Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 6:41pm

^I would have loved to have seen Jackman play the Phantom, but apparently he was already working on one of the X-men films at the time of filming so he turned down Phantom.

Musical Master
#3930Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 6:48pm

And Anne Hathaway had to drop out to because of contractual obligations with Disney to do THE PRINCESS DIARIES 2.

I'm so happy that the cast of INTO THE WOODS is stellar all around. Not a single miscast person in sight in my mind. Updated On: 12/16/14 at 06:48 PM

icecreambenjamin
#3931Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 6:52pm

I think that everyone is perfect, but that one stepsister with the raspy voice is getting on my nerves.

Musical Master
#3932Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 6:54pm

Is it a stepsister or is it Christine Baranski who plays the Stepmother? If it's her then huh? I thought she did fine.

Updated On: 12/16/14 at 06:54 PM

icecreambenjamin
#3933Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:00pm

No its not Baranski (love her), it's definitely one of the stepsisters.

I just heard about 9/11 - like threats made by the Sony hackers who will apparently bomb every movie theatre on Christmas day that shows The Interview.

THIS CANNOT HAPPEN
I MUST GO SEE INTO THE WOODS
I CAN'T GO SEE INTO THE WOODS IF THEY BOMB THE MOVIE THEATRES
I MUST SEE INTO THE WOODS

Musical Master
#3934Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:02pm

Don't worry about it. It's empty hallow threats at most and to answer your question it might be Lucy Punch because Tammy Blanchard has a pleasant voice. To me Lucy Punch sounded okay but nothing noteworthy like the rest of the cast on the soundtrack.

icecreambenjamin
#3935Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:03pm

I thought that her voice was standing out too much.

Musical Master
#3936Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:04pm

I guess that may have been the point but I'll wait until the movie comes out to form a real opinion on it.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#3937Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:13pm

Kids, don't believe everything you read on IMDB. The likelihood that Disney ever considered Donna Murphy to headline a multi-million dollar musical is non-existent. The funding came through because Streep signed up to do it, as ljay said, Murphy simply helped out with the reading. Streep not only secures funding, but she attracts other actors (same thing happened with MAMMA MIA when they were only able to attract top names once Streep signed on). Interestingly enough, Streep's singing in "Stay With Me" is very reminiscent of Murphy's interpretation of that song.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Musical Master
#3938Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:22pm

@ray-andallthatjazz86, you do have a good point but just because Meryl Streep signed on early in the game doesn't mean that Marshall and the studio wasn't looking around for other actresses to test it out and/or was only considered.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#3939Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:25pm

I'm sure other actresses were considered in case Streep want interested or available.

Showface
#3940Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:51pm

That Fandango "review" is hilarious!

When I said it wasn't "hummable" I wasn't stating a personal opinion (this is one of my favorite musicals with some of my favorite songs), but I was saying what others who will see the show in the movie theaters might say. In the reviews that I read for the film I hear both good and bad about the songs. Some people just have different tastes in the scores.

I am actually now predicting the film rating to be 8/10. I looked at the ratings for other musical films of the 21st Century and a 8/10 for ITW doesn't seem unlikely.

8.5 out of 10 review:www.bigshinyrobot.com/58332/woods-review/

10/10 http://www.theedgesusu.co.uk/film/2014/12/17/first-look-review-into-the-woods/

Musical Master
#3941Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:57pm

"James Alpine"? LOL!

But it's cool to see a 10/10 review for INTO THE WOODS anyway, regardless of the misspelling of James Lapine's name. Updated On: 12/16/14 at 07:57 PM

degrassifan
#3942Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 9:42pm

I haven't listened to the soundtrack yet, but I'm really amused that Lucy Punch is playing a stepsister yet again. This is her fourth time playing Cinderella's stepsister in a Cinderella movie. She must be really good at it. Might as well sign her up to play Marguerite de Ghent when Ever After starts casting.

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#3943Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 10:04pm

Musical Master wrote:

So I read on IMDB about *SPOILERS!!* the change of Rapunzel's fate that was pretty interesting from user sarahb2. Here's a link to it

Aw, thanks, Musical Master! Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread My sister informed me of this thread, and I joined the board just to say I'm glad y'all liked what I had to say.

I'm really looking forward to this movie, from everything I've heard and seen it's going to be awesome! Mostly I'm jazzed that hopefully a lot of new Sondheim fans are going to be born. And of course looking at a couple of blue-eyed blond hunks romping around on the screen ain't bad either. :3

Musical Master
#3944Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 10:15pm

Welcome to the boards sarahb22, I agreed 100% with what you wrote on IMDB.

I think that Blanchard and Punch sing good in the roles of the Stepsisters, they play them very well on the soundtrack.

Updated On: 12/16/14 at 10:15 PM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#3945Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 11:04pm

Caught an advanced screening of this yesterday, some unorganized thoughts:

Meryl Streep walks away with this movie. Her choices are new and inspired. Vocally, she seeems to have had a vocal cord transplant since Mamma Mia, because she sounds amazing. 'Last Midnight' & 'Stay With Me' are two of the vocal highlights of the film. The final half of 'Last Midnight' is the best scene in the entire film (followed closely by 'Agony'). If she hadn't won Oscar #3 for the (IMO awful) 'The Iron Lady' I would say she could steal this from Arquette.

Chris Pine is HYSTERICAL. The surprise of the film for sure. He steals every scene he is in & 'Agony' has never been funnier. I wish he was more apart of the awards conversation.

Emily Blunt is a fantastic Baker's Wife. She brings a lot of heart to the role, and her comic moments soar. 'Moments in the Woods' is exactly how it should be. The screenplay allows her to have many funny moments with Pine before 'Any Moment', bringing her more to play with in this scene. It's a shame that Jennifer Aniston (Cake does look fantastic though...) seems to have taken that fifth spot in the awards conversation. Blunt deserves her first nomination for this role.

Everyone else does a great job. Kendrick is in great voice (excellent high notes in the Prologue). Crawford & Huttlestone bring great clarity to their numbers. Baranski & Ullman have their moments as well. Corden is bit too auto-tuned for me...especially in 'It Takes Two'. I expected more from him vocally.

The orchestrations are AMAZING. The score has never sounded better. I wish I could hear all Sondheim scores with that lush sound. Did anyone else notice the Waltz from A Little Night Music playing at the start of the ball!?

Production & Costume design are flawless, but who is shocked? Whoever did the lighting also deserves kudos.

One small quip: why did they cut a verse of 'No One is Alone'? The third act of the film already seemed a little rushed...I think they could've left it in. The song didn't have the same build.

Congrats to Rob Marshall, Disney, Lapine & Sondheim. Particularly Marshall. He proved the doubters wrong and delivered a strong adaption of a beloved musical. There were many children at my screening, who were verbally having a great time (until things got a little serious...). It warmed my heart.

I know where i'll be on Christmas!

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
Updated On: 12/17/14 at 11:04 PM

icecreambenjamin
#3946Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 11:10pm

The cutting of verses in No One Is Alone broke my heart.

They shouldn't have laid a finger on that piece.

Musical Master
#3947Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 11:11pm

I really like this quote: "He proved the doubters wrong and delivered a strong adaptation of a beloved musical".

Was there ever any doubt that Rob Marshall still has what it takes?

Len6677
#3948Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/14 at 11:22pm

For as much as I love the soundtrack and all the clips I've seen so far, I too am puzzled by the decision to cut lines from "No One Is Alone." What was the point of that? I'd love to know what exactly led to that decision.

I especially miss the "Hard to see the light now..." lines.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos