News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Living on Love!

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#150Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 4:54pm

if the company needs to think an empty champagne bottle had anything to do with their impending doom, they are in massive denial. 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#151Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 4:59pm

lol Hogan why do you always say snarky ass comments! You act like people on Broadway don't know how the biz is! Lord! What happened with the bottle?

Jordan, are you sexy in real life?

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

hypno68 Profile Photo
hypno68
#152Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 5:01pm

I'm convinced now that Phillypinto is a work of performance art.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#153Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 5:05pm

Pinto, why don't you focus on what's really important here - this flop of a play. 

Phillypinto
#154Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 5:06pm

Living on Love Previews

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#155Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 5:43pm

Pinto, I do not "always" make snarky ass comments but I do make my share. People on Broadway sometimes know how bad a show is doing, and sometimes don't. Obviously, it's not cool to bring talk of doom backstage when there is performance to put on, and the reported comment sounded like someone who was not facing reality. It happens. The bottle, per the comment above that you apparently missed, was empty. That's something that would get a props person and maybe even an ASM written up, but it's hardly enough to get more than a laugh from a critic who was already bored to death by the awful excuse for a Broadway show.

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#156Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 5:46pm

I'm just hoping everyone on the board here is as right about Living on Love as they were about American in Paris.  Living on Love Previews

Phillypinto
#157Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 5:59pm

What are you talking about hogan?? Who was not facing reality?? I literally have no idea what you are saying !!

Phillypinto
#158Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 6:02pm

Hogan, are you Ben Brantley? Haha

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#159Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 6:13pm

Pinto, the reality to which I am referring is that the show sucks, and that critics are not going to bash it for a props dept goof. And no, I am not, nor have i ever been Ben Brantley, or Ben Bradlee, or Ben Affleck, or Ben Stiller, or Ben Folds, or Ben Vereen, or Ben Kingley or, most especially, Ben Gazzara, who suffers from the additional complication of being dead. 

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#160Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 6:40pm

Well then .... since it sounds like the only person on the entire Eastern seaboard interested in seeing Living On Love is Philly, and he is stuck in Philly in his dorm room patiently waiting for his Tony voter sugar daddy to wisk him away in a private jet and/or limo to see it .... it sounds like it will be closing very soon.

So what's next for the Longacre until Allegiance in October? Are there are any plays waiting in the wings for a theater looking for a summer limited engagement?

I wish Iceman Cometh would f'in come, but unfortunately many of the principals are busy.

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#161Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 6:50pm

I saw the matinee yesterday. I thought it had a high end community theatre feel. The set looked like it could be used year after year for a string of similar comedies. The stars hit most of their moments but stumbled over several lines. There was a disproportionate amount of cheering at the end compared to the quality of what had actually taken place.

I didn't think it was bad. I actually really enjoyed it. It's the perfect summer theatre festival for rich people in the middle of nowhere show. It has absolutely no business being on Broadway. If I had paid any amount of serious money for it I would've been severely disappointed.

Phillypinto
#162Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 6:55pm

I never understood when people say that? Do shows now need a magic flying carpet to feel like your getting your money's worth? I just wrote a paper on this

indytallguy
#163Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 7:01pm

Prices create expectations in all aspects of life from everyday products to Broadway shows. I don't expect the same quality or longevity out of a $50 end table from IKEA that I might from a $250 piece from Crate and Barrel.

It partially boils down to perceived value and price anchoring (lots of research in these areas can be found online). So no, I for one don't need a magic carpet ride. But if you're going to charge prevailing Broadway prices, it isn't unreasonable for people to compare you to what they receive from comparably priced productions ... as well as those that cost far less.

Phillypinto
#164Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 7:06pm

That's the thing though, the average ticket price was 32 dollars last week. 

indytallguy
#165Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 7:50pm

Average doesn't matter as much as what any individual attendee paid and her/his expectations based on the "comparison set" of value the individual associates with that price.

Rightly or wrongly we do it in all aspects of life: with college tuition, dining out, rent or home prices, etc.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#166Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 7:50pm

I didn't pay anything and I still don't feel like I got my money's worth.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#167Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:10pm

"the average ticket price was 32 dollars last week"

Here is the problem with that kind of non-analysis. Can we agree, Pinto, that at $32, the show is by design a flop? (I'll give you the benefit of the correct number, which you inexplicably were incapable of providing: $34.18. At that price, a week yields, at sellout, $293,401.12, less credit card and other off the top charges, which is a substantial six figure number under the nut.) So to suggest that the show is looks like it is worth $32 necessarily suggests that it looks like a failure. But the reality (there's that ugly word you hate to confront rearing its ugly head again!) is that the show is not selling out, and thus the failure is much greater. And a show that is (as you would have it) a failure by design has no place on Broadway. Why is it that you seem to choose the failures (not the underdogs, mind you, but the utter train wrecks) to champion? Is there some pathology we are not aware of that would explain this?

Phillypinto
#168Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:15pm

I don't give a crap if its a flop, i just want to see it and i want it to run til August

ebontoyan
#169Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:18pm

"That's the thing though, the average ticket price was 32 dollars last week. "

Dang I definitely paid more than $32 for my tix I just hope it manages to stay open until I visit NYC end of May!

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#170Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:19pm

I'd be shocked if it runs past May 3rd.

Phillypinto
#171Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:19pm

I hope so too!

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#172Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 9:02pm

"I don't give a crap if its a flop, i just want to see it"

and there's the rub: if you don't care if a show flops, and only care about yourself, then you don't care about Broadway. And if that's the case, perhaps you'd better pack you bags and call your mother; tell her there is a very good chance you will not be in show business if and when you grow up.

Phillypinto
#173Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 9:19pm

Hogan, you out of everybody on this board seems to talk the most about shows closing, and being flops and how they are doing bad at the box office sooo SHUT UPPPPPPPPPPPP. go be a pessimist somewhere else please.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#174Living on Love Previews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 9:42pm

I don't think Hogan is any way shape or form a pessimist.  He is a realist.

Videos