News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 59

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#1450SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 2:09pm

Unless "nails Ellis" involves a hammer, something sharp and his skull I cannot abide.

broadwayfever
#1451SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 3:29pm

Live+7 DVR Ratings: Smash Earns Biggest Percentage Increase in Week 26

They doubled their 18-49 rating...there is hope.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/04/08/live7-dvr-ratings-the-following-leads-adults-18-49-ratings-castle-wins-total-viewership-gains-smash-earns-biggest-percentage-increase-in-week-26/176927/

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#1452SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 3:40pm

So what does that mean? I've always been confused by the rating system.

broadwayfever
#1453SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 3:55pm

It means that a lot more people are watching Smash than originally reported and that NBC moved Smash to Saturday prematurely.

Smash is actually getting twice as many 18-49 viewers than originally reported. Basically, a lot of people are DVRing the show and watching it at a later time.

So instead of the 2,661,000 total viewrship that was reported, there were actually 4,339,000 people that watched the show...a huge difference.

broadwayfever
#1454SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 4:01pm

As far as the 18-49 rating goes, their reported .7 rating doubled to 1.4. That was a 100% increase and was the biggest percentage increase of any show for week 26. Again, this is a huge difference.

ucjrdude902
#1455SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 4:04pm

Ohhhh! Gotcha! Well that is a good thing! I'm shocked they have moved it to Sunday nights since they are really the only network without a Sunday night drama.
Updated On: 4/8/13 at 04:04 PM

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#1456SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 4:20pm

I think it's cute how much you kids hope that this show isn't going to be cancelled.

ucjrdude902
#1457SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 4:24pm

I do find it interesting how everyone is still under contract for SMASH.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#1458SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 4:47pm

That's because it hasn't been officially cancelled. But don't worry, there will most definitely for sure be a third season!

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

FindingNamo
#1459SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 4:49pm

"You gotta give 'em hope." -- Harvey Milk

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

ucjrdude902
#1460SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 4:51pm

Personally I do expect one but don't you think them keeping them under contract is the network having SOME hope?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1461SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 4:53pm

And yet Messing filmed another pilot. No, they know. They are just trying to save face and not make a big deal out it. (IMO)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ucjrdude902
#1462SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 4:55pm

Quite of a few people attached to successful shows have filmed pilots.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1463SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 5:06pm

But we're not talking about a successful show.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#1464SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 5:10pm

That's interesting, and not all that surprising that SMash did well percentage wise when it comes to +7 DVR viewing (though I thought networks and advertisers only cared about the +3 day thing.) That link, however, only ists the March 19th episode (though I guess it stands to reason later ones would be similar--and if these DVDR fans watch it later, they prob watched the dismally rated Sat episode too.) But in that list a flop show like NBC's Whitney still did better...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1465SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 5:14pm

Maybe they forgot there were two episodes and COMBINED the ratings! (JK.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#1466SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 5:16pm

Don't forget, Bob Greenblatt calls the show "an unqualified success!"

#1467SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 5:19pm

I don't know how all the ads work for DVRs or on-demand viewing but ad sales are what matter. And when I watch Smash on demand the "ad space" is more than half public service announcements. That isn't paying any bills.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#1468SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 5:52pm

I have a question about HIT LIST being sung through. With shows that are sung through it seems like the songs have to advance the plot. Nothing in the songs we've heard seem to give you any idea of a plot happening nor are there character names in them. Isn't this kind of weird if that were the case?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#1469SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 7:04pm

The DVR numbers wont save it and dont count for anything other than good press pieces, advertises dont make money that way and that's what keeps a show on the air.

However

It is crazy to see how many are DVR this show, the show does have an audience, if i was programing NBC i would have moved it to 9pm as 10pm is far to late for this show.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#1470SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 7:46pm

Same. If I was NBC I would have moved the show to behind The Voice. Go On and The New Normal both got a boost from The Voice so Smash would have too.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1471SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 7:48pm

It got a boost from The Voice last year. The hope is that when a show is moved from a spot with a prime lead-in, it will carry some of the audience with him. Smash didn't do that. They're not going to put it back where they had it before when they've learned it won't survive without something leading in to it.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#1472SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 8:16pm

Right, they see that spot now as needed to promote a new show (though I admit this two hour horrific looking dating reality show seems like a waste to use in the spot--NBC can not be pleased with the ratings and demos for their expensive Hannibal premier.)

As for Hit List--I don't think anything, even a full plot, has been pre-thought with it, so I wouldn't read, or try to read, too much into it. But there have been sung-through musicals before (ALW has a number) where the main songs often don't do too much to adavance the plot, but sung dialogue (either to new music or in the case of ALW biuts and pieces of the songs' melody) between the songs serves that function.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#1473SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 8:24pm

OnDemand for Comcast/Infinity in Houston, TX with SMASH has all ads that aired with the show for the first week. It's a 60 minute block ripped directly from the broadcast airing. Also, you cannot fast forward through the commercials. So, they're making money with ads there. It's just like watching it live.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#1474SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 9:10pm

This is from an article posted on Deadline.com earlier today about NBC renewals:

Elsewhere at NBC, Parenthood also appears on track for a renewal, with Go On and The New Normal looking hopeful after getting a boost from the return of The Voice. Midseason comedy 1600 Penn and sophomore drama Smash are dead, while comedy series Community, Whitney and Guys With Kids are heavily on the bubble.

Hope

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 4/8/13 at 09:10 PM

Videos