News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 58

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

Platypus
#1425SMASH
Posted: 4/7/13 at 1:13pm

What was the point of the final scene where she found the drugs in his jacket pocket? She knew he was high the first time he kissed her and he never specified what he was on. Is she supposed to be naive enough to think that it was a one-time thing? Or is the viewer expected to be dumb enough to completely forget about a scene that happened earlier this season?

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#1426SMASH
Posted: 4/7/13 at 1:16pm

Smash hits a new low in ratings 0.5 with only a repeat of "The Middle" being lower on Saturday night.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/04/07/tv-ratings-saturday-final-four-slam-dunks-the-competition-smash-hits-a-low/176815/

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#1427SMASH
Posted: 4/7/13 at 1:24pm

Wow, there is a shocker for you - lol. The NCAA final four crushed the other programs. NBC basically set it up to fail by moving it to Saturday for the first time with one of the most watched sports events in the country. We all know SMASH is 99.9% done after this year but I will still enjoy it to the end. I have a feeling the last few episodes are really going to be good as the shows hit "Broadway"

Updated On: 4/7/13 at 01:24 PM

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#1428SMASH
Posted: 4/7/13 at 1:41pm

She knew he was high the first time he kissed her and he never specified what he was on. Is she supposed to be naive enough to think that it was a one-time thing? Or is the viewer expected to be dumb enough to completely forget about a scene that happened earlier this season?

I think the real answer is the last thing you said, but for the sake of argument: Karen probably assumed he was high on marijuana. They have made much over how naive and sheltered she is, at least in the first season, and I know if a friend told me they were high, even a new friend I don't know very well, my first thought would not be that they were on coke.

Not to say Karen should be all that surprised, but still, smoking marijuana recreationally after a bad day is very different than carrying around a dimebag in your jacket pocket.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

Platypus
#1429SMASH
Posted: 4/7/13 at 2:59pm

"I know if a friend told me they were high, even a new friend I don't know very well, my first thought would not be that they were on coke."

Maybe I remember it wrong, but I believe she asked him what he was on, and he specifically used the word "drugs." If the writers knew anything about the generation that they were trying to portray, they'd know that people Jimmy's age don`t really consider marijuana to be a drug - it's seen as much safer and ``natural`` and relatively harmless. So if it was just marijuana, he would have said something like "weed" where as if he said "drugs," (which is how I remember it), I certainly WOULD have assumed it was something harder such as ecstasy or crystal meth or coke.

...but I think I'm over-analyzing just a tad...

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1430SMASH
Posted: 4/7/13 at 3:35pm

Just watched last night's episode, and I have to agree that it was pretty damn good. Mostly due to the fact it focused on Ivy & Bombshell and less on Karen(& her bad acting and poorly auto-tuned singing) & Hit List. Anyone know if there's a preview for next week's episode??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#1431SMASH
Posted: 4/7/13 at 3:54pm

SMASH

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-
Updated On: 4/7/13 at 03:54 PM

WhatIWasBorn2Do Profile Photo
WhatIWasBorn2Do
#1432SMASH
Posted: 4/7/13 at 3:58pm

What theatre is Bombshell in Tech? I know the Lyceum was used for the exterior, but unless I'm mistaken, that is not where the interior of last nights show was filmed.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#1433SMASH
Posted: 4/7/13 at 4:02pm

SMASH

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#1434SMASH
Posted: 4/7/13 at 4:33pm

But Yero, didn't Karen ask Jimmy what he was high on when they made out in the alley that time and he said coke? I can't even remember (and that seems like a huge missed opportunity to not have a song moment.)

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#1435SMASH
Posted: 4/7/13 at 4:39pm

If Jimmy dies Karen could sing One Song Glory

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1436SMASH
Posted: 4/7/13 at 4:58pm

That looked like the interior of the St. James.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#1437SMASH
Posted: 4/7/13 at 6:43pm

Let me give a definitive answer for the Jimmy in the alley/drug thing. I watched that episode a million times because I got it on a screener in December AND I am young and know about young people things. Jimmy was on ecstasy in that scene. You know this because after he kissed her he said "Wow. And I'm not just saying that because I'm rolling". Rolling is slang for being high on ecstasy.... So there ya go, from the mouths of babes.

Ps. LOVED this episode and it was obviously superior because it focused on Ivy which has not been the case this season (but of course I don't need to tell you that).

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#1438SMASH
Posted: 4/7/13 at 7:04pm

Rolling is slang for being high on ecstasy.... So there ya go, from the mouths of babes.

But would Karen know what that meant? I didn't until you told me just now.

I'm just saying, it's not a surprise, but it's very possible she had no idea Jimmy did hard drugs (or possibly fooled herself into believing he didn't).

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#1439SMASH
Posted: 4/7/13 at 7:39pm

I really hope Scott and Marc push to get Bombshell to the actual stage.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1440SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 1:28am

Ivy-centric episode! Huzzah! Megan Hilty rules all. I want Ivy to get her own spin-off.

I didn't know until today that my dad was a fan of Smash. He thinks Katharine McPhee can do it all - sing, dance, act! He was also very surprised to find out that Tom wasn't gay in real life. He was also surprised that I knew that already when he told me.

I've also decided that after the finale I'm going to write Smash fan fiction. There will be a couple of deaths. And arcs.

Also, with all the talk of tech, I really thought at the end, when Jimmy asked Karen to go on a date with him then and there, she was going to say she couldn't because they were in tech.

Updated On: 4/8/13 at 01:28 AM

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#1441SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 2:46am

"Rolling is slang for being high on ecstasy.... So there ya go, from the mouths of babes.

But would Karen know what that meant? I didn't until you told me just now."

It's pretty plausible that Karen would know what that meant...I'm not a recreational drug user by any means but I know what "rolling" means in that context.

I don't remember that being said in the episode but it isn't an uncommon slang term.

GottaHaveAGimmick Profile Photo
GottaHaveAGimmick
#1442SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 8:58am

Best line of the episode? "Call Liza." BAM!

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#1443SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 10:17am

^So true!! I couldn't help squealing.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#1444SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 11:00am

I've also decided that after the finale I'm going to write Smash fan fiction. There will be a couple of deaths. And arcs.

Oooooh, can we collaborate on this like Tom and Julia?!

I have a great plot point in mind. I don't want to spoil anything but let's just say mini-baseball bat, vaseline, two BBQ grills, a citronella candle, 8 blow darts, Derek Wills, Patti Lupone, Harvey Fierstein and the triumphant cinematic return of Steve Guttenberg.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1445SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 1:03pm

We can collaborate for sure, but Sam dies on the first page no matter what.

Updated On: 4/8/13 at 01:03 PM

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#1446SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 1:10pm

I have a question about the constant obsession with this magical divide between Manhattan and Brooklyn. I'm going to assume this is Josh Safran's doing because it was a huge point made on Gossip Girl.

It's mentioned how they went all the way to Greenpoint for Jimmy's party. "Reach for Me" includes it in the lyrics. "Original" talks about hipsters.

At this point there is really no difference between Brooklyn and Manhattan. If anything it's been a 180 and Brooklyn is the more desirable place to live. This whole notion just seems very hackneyed and old to me.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

#1447SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 1:28pm

The best line of the episode- of any episode, possibly the best line ever "You're older, you're wiser/and look! I got ya Liza!"

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#1448SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 1:41pm

I'm all for Sam dying on page one of Fifty Shades of Smash!

Can it be in a Jesse L. Martin/Leslie Odom Jr "I'll Cover You (Reprise)-Off? Loser faces death by being forced to fast until Karen shows facial emotion while performing on stage?

#1449SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 1:46pm

I want fanfic where Jesse L. Martin nails Ellis.

Videos