News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 60

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1475SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 9:27pm

The way people are in denial about Smash mirrors the denial I'm in about Community.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#1476SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 9:39pm

@Phyllis -- I wasn't talking about moving Smash back to Mondays at 10. NBC wouldn't do that because Revolution is doing well there. I meant moving Smash to Tuesdays at 9 behind The Voice results show. They totally could have done that since New Normal has aired its finale and Go On is airing its soon too.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#1477SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 9:42pm

It didn't even need to go after The Voice it should just not have moved to a 10pm timeslot

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#1478SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 9:49pm

But Kyl, I think the point was NBC simply wouldn't have done that. They used The Voice to bump up Smash when it started. That's the practice often with a new show--and then in its second season they try (or hope) to see if it can continue on its own (and ideally help bump up ANOTHER new show.) Smash had its chance--now that they see it as dead, they're eager to give the choice post-Voice timeslot to a *new* show.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#1479SMASH
Posted: 4/8/13 at 11:14pm

SMASH

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1480SMASH
Posted: 4/9/13 at 12:40am

The AV Club was pretty good this week.

The other storylines all have to do with Hit List, which continues to feel like Rent, if the plot of Rent was told to you by a suburban mom, based entirely on what she’d gleaned from reading a couple of news articles about it back when the show opened. (“I think they were on the drugs?!”) I still don’t entirely know what Hit List is supposed to be about—even though Kyle and Jimmy have told the audience the plot point blank several times—and the more I learn about it, the stupider it all seems. Basically, it seems like a musical tailor-made to have Katharine McPhee’s non-Broadway voice not seem so non-Broadway, so it mostly consists of songs that wouldn’t sound out of place on an Avril Lavigne album ... This means every episode, we get a generic “pop-rock” type song that McPhee and Jeremy Jordan belt their way through, and then characters nod about how “edgy” and “interesting” it is, because those are adjectives our theoretical mom would apply to Rent. Tonight’s original number is the nadir of that approach, as Karen sings some bullsh*t about pop stars wanting to be “original,” and it’s probably the worst original song in the history of the show (and, in general, I think the original songs have been one of the best reasons to keep tuning in).

This one made me laugh out loud.

for the most part, it’s turned into a long parade of talented people and Katharine McPhee

SporkGoddess
#1481SMASH
Posted: 4/9/13 at 9:13am

Todd's one of my favorite AV Club reviewers, I'm happy that he's covering Smash now.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

beautywickedlover
#1482SMASH
Posted: 4/9/13 at 5:33pm

This going be a little off-topic, but when Derek said, "That's so sweet I'm getting a cavity" I remembered immediately it from somewhere else. I'm sure a lot of people say it but I remember when it was once said on the season one finale of my favorite anime, 'Sailor Moon' by the main villain Queen Beryl.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#1483SMASH
Posted: 4/9/13 at 6:24pm

The other storylines all have to do with Hit List, which continues to feel like Rent, if the plot of Rent was told to you by a suburban mom, based entirely on what she’d gleaned from reading a couple of news articles about it back when the show opened. (“I think they were on the drugs?!”)

This! It's basically my biggest pet peeve with HIT LIST, it's exactly what an older person who's never ever paid attention to contemporary Broadway shows thinks is "modern." That AV Club recap was hilarious, I need to start reading those for as long as the show is on...which is forever of course.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#1484SMASH
Posted: 4/9/13 at 7:24pm

Best line of the AV Club recap

If this season ends with a cliffhanger based on whether Karen or Ivy wins the “Best Actress in a Musical” Tony, I am going to set things on fire.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1485SMASH
Posted: 4/9/13 at 7:29pm

There will be no cliffhanger. They already re-shot the series finale. All ends will be tied up.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

EricMontreal22
#1486SMASH
Posted: 4/9/13 at 9:02pm

I love Todd's av club reviews too and glad he's the new person covering it. I agree with most of what he'd say (though I'd prob give it a half score more...

Beautywickedlover--I'm ashamed to admit it but I always think of the Sailor Moon dub when I hear that expression too--must have been where I first heard it.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1487SMASH
Posted: 4/9/13 at 9:03pm

and this facebook page has been formed.
DON'T CANCEL SMASH!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#1488SMASH
Posted: 4/9/13 at 9:39pm

^Already liked and shared!!! Please everyone like this page!! Even if you don't like the show, help save it so you can continue to hate on it. Lets all unite BWW, don't let NBC rain on our parades!!

mb87
#1489SMASH
Posted: 4/9/13 at 9:45pm

Are the songs not being released on Tuesdays anymore since the show airs on Saturdays?

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#1490SMASH
Posted: 4/10/13 at 12:49pm

Interesting the show that SMASH got bumped for got the same ratings.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#1491SMASH
Posted: 4/10/13 at 12:55pm

This may have already been mentioned, but I just watched the latest episode this morning and I refuse to read through all of the "Maybe this will survive because it got 3 more viewers on Saturday Night" posts.

I'm pretty forgiving for ridiculousness in a TV Show, but the "Tom makes it up to Ivy by calling Liza" thing was just silly. It was great for the television show, but in that moment it made no sense.

Ivy's mother is a decorated Broadway star. She likely would have crossed paths with Liza anyway as this is a small world. However, let's say that she truly never met Liza.

If it was truly her "dream since she was a little girl" to meet Liza Minelli and her best friend Tom was close enough to Liza to pick up the phone and have her learn a new song in a couple of hours (which lets face it, it'd take Liza that long to figure out how to answer the phone at this point) and then have her perform it in a public setting for Ivy the same night wouldn't he have a good enough to relationship to set up a lunch or something between the 3 of them so his best friend could meet her?

It's little things like that where I find it tough to defend a show. I realize they know they are likely getting cancelled, but Jesus Hobart Christ can't they at least have a dramaturg (since anyone can apparently do it at the drop of a hat) read some of that crap for logic and continuity purposes?

EricMontreal22
#1492SMASH
Posted: 4/10/13 at 3:58pm

As silly as it was, I think yours is the first negative take on the Liza thing surprisingly. Even the bitchy bloggers have said that's the fantasy Broadway world they wanted.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1493SMASH
Posted: 4/10/13 at 4:16pm

Does anyone except the characters on Smash use the word "dramaturge" the way they do?

ray-andallthatjazz86
#1494SMASH
Posted: 4/10/13 at 4:19pm

I really don't think so, Phyllis, maybe it's part of the Broadway fantasy too. I don't know why they won't use the term "show doctor" or something like that.

Ivy's mother is a decorated Broadway star. She likely would have crossed paths with Liza anyway as this is a small world. However, let's say that she truly never met Liza.

Exactly! I thought the idea that Ivy Lynn wouldn't have known Liza or would've been star struck by her was just silly like so many of the show. It's just so inconsistent.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#1495SMASH
Posted: 4/10/13 at 4:24pm

'Exactly! I thought the idea that Ivy Lynn wouldn't have known Liza or would've been star struck by her was just silly like so many of the show. It's just so inconsistent.'

Seriously? In a show that insists that Karen Cartwright is a universally recognized talent, this is where you're going to plan your flag???

SMASH

ray-andallthatjazz86
#1496SMASH
Posted: 4/10/13 at 5:38pm

Oh, SonofRobbie, I've planted my flag all over the plotholes, this is yet another thing to bitch about, of course it's not like any of this will make me stop watching so the joke's really on me. But you're right, in a world where Katharine McPhee *is* Marilyn (as they kept saying in season 1), anything is a go.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#1498SMASH
Posted: 4/10/13 at 6:19pm

Here is some solace. Ready for Love just got adjusted down to a 1.5, which truly couldn't be a bigger disaster for NBC. I bet they are sh!tting themselves over these numbers today. I guess the only comfort they have is that Ready for Love is much, much cheaper to produce than Smash. This all points to the massive ineptitude that only the execs at NBC could pull off.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/04/10/tuesday-final-ratings-the-voice-ncis-hells-kitchen-ncisla-ready-for-love-adjusted-down/177275/

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

FindingNamo
#1499SMASH
Posted: 4/10/13 at 6:24pm

Is it true Smash is going to replace Last Call with Carson Daly for half an episode?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Videos