News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 81

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

Ham3
#2000SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 12:18pm

"Perhaps season three will focus on the Gatsby play, with no music. Ivy vs. Karen for Daisy and Leo as Jay."

No, Leo as Meyer Wolfsheim.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#2001SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 2:40pm

Is that Christine Ebersole in the inset with Cheyenne?
NBC Reveals Synopsis for SMASH Season Finale

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#2002SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 2:41pm

SORRY!! Removed

Updated On: 4/24/13 at 02:41 PM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#2003SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 2:51pm

whizzer - OK, I will bite. Since you probably know how the season/series ends, do you think most of us will like or hate the ending?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2004SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 3:05pm

Jesus F*CK, I'd love to have one plot point of this entire season not spoiled on here.

suestorm Profile Photo
suestorm
#2005SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 3:08pm

^^ seriously, wheres the common courtesy of a SPOILER ALERT WARNING

FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#2006SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 3:13pm

yankeefan- I didn't have the ending completely spoiled, but from what I know I think people will like it. The biggest reason is probably because the writers knew the end was coming (or at least planned for the strong possibility that this was the series finale), and decided to wrap stuff up.

It sounds like both Ivy/Bombshell fans and Karen/Hit List fans will be happy with the Tony results.

Hilty has a knockout number in 2nd to last episode (now I guess part 1 of the finale).

I'm surprised by this announcement of a 2 hr finale though. Those were two separate episodes...the nominations and the awards. They are just burning them off on the THIRD night of week Smash has aired this season.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#2007SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 3:36pm

Sunday?!?

alxscrz2 Profile Photo
alxscrz2
#2008SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 3:53pm

@ TFMH18, urgh really, you couldve warned us with a #SPOILERS BELOW# befor posting about Ivy. I been avoiding that article all day...... please no more spoilers, I just want to watch the episode when it airs and enjoy it :)

Updated On: 4/24/13 at 03:53 PM

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#2009SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 5:09pm

Removed it! Sorry airhead moment!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2010SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 5:40pm

BTW....Smash's Official FB page listing the date/time change uses the phrase: SERIES Finale.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#2011SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 5:42pm

Interesting that they're trying to get cast members to go to the NBC Upfronts though…or atleast that's what I'm hearing whispers of.

Updated On: 4/24/13 at 05:42 PM

Gothampc
#2012SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 6:48pm

Come on along and listen to
the lullaby of Broadway
The hip hooray and ballyhoo
the lullaby of Broadway

And in the center of it all
is The Hotel Carter

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

JohnyBroadway
#2013SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 6:50pm

KLG' does the fox mambo

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#2014SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 7:12pm

Cool! Hope we get a full version of Megan singing that. I wonder, though, if the kids "see" Bombshell after that master class... and if Ivy takes her clothes off...

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#2015SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 7:25pm

I need a full recording of Hilty singing the songs from SMASH, none of that Karen nonsense. I do admit I love McPhee's version of the mambo but Hilty's version must be out of the world. Totally random but is "History Is Made at Night" still in the fictional show or did it go out the window when they reconceived it after Boston? I was listening to it recently and forgot how much I liked it.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2016SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 7:36pm

It's in, but now the Shadow Marilyns sing it. The Shadow Marilyns get their own arc in season 3.

kieranbec Profile Photo
kieranbec
#2017SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 7:50pm

"Perhaps season three will focus on the Gatsby play, with no music. Ivy vs. Karen for Daisy and Leo as Jay."

Leo will play Gatsby's pool.

crushgroove
#2018SMASH
Posted: 4/24/13 at 8:02pm

Look guys…I wanted to love this show. I LOVED the pilot…but it never lived up to it. There were glimmers of hope–mostly Megan Hilty’s amazing performances (Let’s Be Bad, Never Met a Wolf Who Didn’t Love to Howl, Moving the Line). But let’s face facts. Not enough people are watching it.

For all the people who saying it wasn’t promoted enough… ARE YOU KIDDING??! I remember seeing ads for it back in October. TVLINE and other outlets were constantly announcing when guests starts and new actors were being added since Season 1 ended (that’s free advertising people!). It was promoted all over it’s genre based demographics main websites (ie Broadwayworld.com, Broadway.com) and broader entertainment sites as well. It had huge billboards all over LA and NY/Times Sq. The only problem I see is in the way it was aired. Showing the first half of season opener on Hulu and iTunes….in this day and age…does nothing to help the show. I remember about maybe 6 years ago a lot of cable shows would get leaked online through off the radar channels (ie bit torrent, peer2peer downloading). That was almost grass roots promotion. But now that everyone has access to Hulu and such…why would they tune in on TV if they can see it online? (With much fewer commercials). And NBC should have either aired it in the Fall where viewers hoped it would be or waited to pair it with The Voice in the Spring.

The horrible writing didn’t help either. Jimmy’s character was horribly written. I don’t blame Jeremy Jordan one bit. I think he has a natural screen presence and likability…but not with this character. If they would have written the character a little more gritty…rather than glossy gritty… I think he would have been more compelling. He turned out so whiny and bi-polar. Kat McPhee has never been known for her acting skills…just her voice. But come on, pitting her against Hilty, who has more Marilyn in left pinkie than McPhee has in her whole body, was NEVER believable. The problem from the start was that the show moved WAY too fast. The girls were basically vying for the part in the first episode…where only what 3 songs were written for the show with NO BOOK… Don’t you usually wait til you have some basic structure for a show before you cast the role?

As for any other channel picking this show up… Why would they dump money into a show that has already lost money and viewership? Very few shows have EVER made a channel leap. The few that I can think of–Scrubs, Medium, The Hogan Family–switched networks and didn’t last long after that….the thing about those shows, they started out as hits and had broader appeal than Smash. The shows that have made leap and have been successful have moved to channels where they have a built in demographic. (Ex: The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd moved from ABC to Lifetime and ran for 3 more years) Or they have moved to synication…where no doubt they have taken a budget cut….something that Smash couldn’t afford. (It would slim the cast–most of the main actors–ie Messing & Houston–would take a pay cut or leave the show. Also the production values would go down.)

All in all….we have seen the last of Smash, at least as a TV show anyway. I think the only way we will see it again is if Bombshell makes it to Broadway. And it better be with Ms. Hilty.

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#2019SMASH
Posted: 4/25/13 at 1:14am

I'll add myself to the list of people who would love a Bombshell CD with Megan singing all of the songs. Although I did enjoy Katherine's performance in That's Life (and of course Hilty's), that was the first time that I really enjoyed her performance. I didn't hate Katherine's singing, but every time Megan sang I wanted to jump up and cheer and give a standing ovation - in my living room. After being giddy with excitement whenever Megan sings, it is harder to sit through 'well, i guess that was fairly nice' when Katherine sings the songs. If it does go to Broadway (of course with Megan), i hope that they will do an OBC with her singing all of the Marilyn songs. I will buy tickets and the CD for that.

By the way, I also loved the meta moment of Marc Shaiman playing piano while Megan sang, and of Marc and Scott playing themselves, but not as the composers. So in the Smashiverse, they exist, but didn't write those songs. That is some serious meta-ness.

Updated On: 4/25/13 at 01:14 AM

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#2020SMASH
Posted: 4/25/13 at 6:57am

Thanks for summing it all up Crushgroove.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2021SMASH
Posted: 4/25/13 at 4:19pm

Do you think that they'll put on after The Voice next season?

AEA AGMA SM
#2022SMASH
Posted: 4/25/13 at 4:32pm

I think it's strong enough that they are going to put it as the lead in for all of the shows, even the ones on other networks.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#2023SMASH
Posted: 4/25/13 at 4:36pm

I'd put it up against the Super Bowl.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#2024SMASH
Posted: 4/25/13 at 4:55pm

Crushgrove - Honestly, I don't remember people really complaining about it not being promoted. Fans of the show have complained about NBC scheduling of the show. Really, what genius at NBC thinks it was a good idea to let people watch the 2 episode premier online before it airs on TV.

I never expected this show to be a hit, it does not have broad appeal. It is not like "Glee" and have most of the music being hit songs by artists that are very popular. Most songs were original and what "Broadway" type of song have you seen become a hit in the recent past. Yes, the show has faults and what show does not have some. Was the show totally realistic, not always but have you ever watched medical shows with a nurse and or doctor. They will laugh hysterically at the inaccuracies.

I found the show faults and all to be entertaining. Hilty is a major talent and lights up the TV screen. I am not a McPhee basher, I think she is a decent pop singer and pretty nice looking. Once SMASH started concentrating more on the two shows heading to Broadway, I think the quality got so much better. Obviously, it was too late to save the show but I believe if it was given a chance it might really get even better.

Updated On: 4/25/13 at 04:55 PM

Videos