News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 82

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2025SMASH
Posted: 4/25/13 at 4:59pm

Well, only the first hour of the premiere was online, and I think their intention might have actually been to build buzz, but who knows? This was pretty much DOA this season.

What I don't understand is why NBC released a "synopsis" of the finale, or why anyone would even want to read it when there are like three episodes before the finale even airs.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#2026SMASH
Posted: 4/25/13 at 5:13pm

Phyllis, I think they released a synopsis of the finale for the same reason they moved it to Sunday and will air the final two episodes at once: they just don't care anymore.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#2027SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 7:50am

Whizzer - That is sad statement about a network. It is still their show and why not at least try to help it. I wonder if this was a FOX or CBS show it would have been different. I don't think it would be a hit but I think those networks would have tried to find a good day/time for it and keep it there so audience knew where to find it Imagine if FOX had it and they put it on before or after "Glee" for example.

Ham3
#2028SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 12:59pm

As I posted in another thread, whaddaya bet that out there among the fans there are at least ten people trying their hands at writing a book? (Guided by the summary in the CD package, of course.) Just for the fun of it, or in some cases really dreaming that it might happen.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2029SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 1:09pm

Nothing will ever top that act one workshop book that they was chosen, but only after wasting all that time and money on a "dramaturg."

WhizzerMarvin
#2030SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 1:48pm

I want to see a revival of Sunjata's one failed attempt at being a playwright! Did we ever find out what the name of his play was?

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#2031SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 1:54pm

Wasn't it called something like "The Humming Bird" because Julia said "For a second I thought it was a metaphor but NO it's actually like a bird THAT HUMS!"

Ham3
#2032SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 2:15pm

If NBC had any imagination they would sponsor a contest for the best book for BOMBSHELL. Judged by Wittman and Shaiman and a couple of real directors and producers.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2033SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 2:41pm

I think you wrote a book for Bombshell, baby.

WhizzerMarvin
#2034SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 3:11pm

NBC just released 5 drama renewals for next season, and shocking as it may be, Smash is not there:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/04/26/revolution-chicago-fire-parenthood-law-and-order-svu-and-grimm-renewed-by-nbc/179701/

Revolution, Chicago Fire, Parenthood, Grimm and SVU get renewed.

Updated On: 4/26/13 at 03:11 PM

ucjrdude902
#2035SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 3:15pm

Doesn't necessarily mean it's cancelled. Have they announced the renewal of all their other shows?

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#2036SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 3:20pm

An NBC rep says ”there will be more returning series announcements made in the next couple of weeks.”

There's still hope! (There is no hope)

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

WhizzerMarvin
#2037SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 3:21pm

Not yet. I assume they are going to announce the comedy renewals in a different press release and then save any other renewals/cancellations for the unveiling of the new fall lineup.

ucjrdude902
#2038SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 3:22pm

I was about to say, I know The Voice is returning this Fall and there hasn't been announcement yet.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2039SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 3:31pm

Congratulations to Smash!

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#2040SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 3:44pm

I will forever hate NBC if they cancel SMASH! This would be their second drama that I absolutely love and gets cancelled. I never understood why they cancelled the Playboy Club.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#2041SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 3:47pm

The Playboy Club?!?!

SMASH

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#2042SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 4:02pm

From Marc Shaiman's facebook:

"Memorial Day-- an aptly titled holiday for the SMASH series finale."

How anyone can still think there's hope is baffling.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

Ham3
#2043SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 4:28pm

"I think you wrote a book for Bombshell, baby." - Phyllis Rogers Stone

Nope. No talent.

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#2044SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 4:31pm

Thanks for the link. SMASH It's interesting that 4 out of the 5 shows renewed are produced/owned by Universal/NBC. I not sure who produces/owns Smash...?

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

FindingNamo
#2045SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 4:31pm

I worry that they're going to tie up loose ends from SMASH on Law & Order: SVU.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2046SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 4:32pm

Oh Ham3, all you need is a competent dramaturg to steer you in the right direction!

Ham3
#2047SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 5:53pm

I could even use a dramaturge! Oops, only dramaturgs work on Bombshell.

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#2048SMASH
Posted: 4/26/13 at 7:07pm

If I were NBC and had to decide when to announce a cancellation, I'd do it at 7:30 am ET on Tuesday, right before the Tony nominations are rattled off.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#2049SMASH
Posted: 4/27/13 at 6:25am

"Isn't Arrested Development coming back as a Netflix production? House of Cards was that way too, right?

When I watch Hulu and see the ads for their original series I think, 'Damn, some of this looks really good and has a decent budget.'"

Yes, and Netflix apparently did better than expected with House of Cards, and are doing pretty well now with Hemlock Grove, their Eli Roth horror soap, despite much lesser reviews. I admit, the thing I don't like about the Netflix angle is what many people love--unlike Hulu's original programming, they release the entire season at once, to try to encourage the sort of viewing people do with TV-on-DVD. My problem is that if I know I can watch all 10-13 episodes in a few days, I usually put off watching a show for months, even years, even if I am interested in it. I just prefer to have one a week...

But I do think these streaming sites have a big future--something which only two years ago I wouldn't have seen.

Speaking of online original programming, Amazon just released a bunch of free pilots on their site and apparently will pick up a couple of them depending on viewer feedback. I haven't seen any comments here yet, but one of them, Browsers, is a musical sitcom staring Bebe Neuwirth. We can't access it in Canada, and I wouldn't have even known about it except that a friend was an extra in it, but...

"You watch something like American Horror Story and think THIS is what 666 Park Avenue wanted to be, but cable (and a variety of other factors) allowed them to do it better.

Smash is interesting in the context of this discussion. It's a niche show that seems to have a passionate fanbase, but can't find an a live viewing audience and has practically been sabotaged by its network this season. "

Exactly agreed--and I know people have mentioned this before. With much of the same team as last year planned for it, I'm not sure Smash would have been a *better* show on Showtime as intended, but I feel it may have done better (I'm still annoyed that HBO didn't pick up Miraculous Year, the pilot they had Kathryn Bigelow direct that apparently was about a troubled gay musical theatre composer--a portrayal that gossip columnists said Sondheim was horrified by--it had a killer cast and sounded interesting.)

At any rate, I think network tv now basically only can handle scripted dramas that go for the broadest possible audience--and niche shows have to stick to cable (or if they're a teen drama, maybe the CW which only needs young demos to have a hit, not big numbers.) Increasingly, there's just no room for them to work on network tv, and frankly, as you point out about 666 Park Ave, cable can just do niche programming so much better, it seems unfair for the networks to try to compete with watered down variations. I love Parenthood, and it just barely sneaks by on its numbers but even there--with a well written family drama--much like with Jason Katims' past shows from working on My So-Called Life to Friday Night Lights, it would probably have more of a chance of survival on cable.

Anyway I only now was able to watch last week's Smash. And... I enjoyed it. All the same problems we're used to (plot points suddenly brought up and being focused on for the next 30 minutes, etc) but it does seem to have found some sort of rhythm in the past few weeks.

Videos