News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Radcliffe, Groff, and Mendez star in MERRILY - Reviews & News Thread- Page 18

Radcliffe, Groff, and Mendez star in MERRILY - Reviews & News Thread

Sara904
#425Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/13/22 at 2:13am

TaffyDavenport said: "halfhourcheckwithmerman said: "Will be interested to see reviews tonight."

It opens tomorrow.
"

And the reviews are great, i think the transfer to Broadway will be announced soon after all this praise

https://playbill.com/article/reviews-critics-weigh-in-on-off-broadway-merrily-we-roll-along-led-by-jonathan-groff-lindsay-mendez-and-daniel-radcliffe

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#426Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/16/22 at 8:16pm

The Other One said: "JayElle said: "Biggest disappointment: smoking onstage, especially in such a small area."

You cared about that?!

Damn straight!! Especially for those who have breathing disabilities (asthma, pulmonary hypertension, etc), much like epileptics have problem with strobe lightning.  Troublesome if sitting near stage."  So yes, it was biggest disappointment folks still feel a need to use that prop especially since it's problematic for folks trying to breathe.

Updated On: 12/16/22 at 08:16 PM

ImAProphet
#427Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/16/22 at 11:30pm

Esteemed character actress Margo Martindale was there tonight.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#428Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/18/22 at 1:29pm

Robbie2 said: "muscle23ftl said: "I was at the show last night, I was the first person who asked Maria Friedman 2 questions. In case anyone was there.

Whoever said that Company is a better show than this one, I disagree.

I think Merrily is the best show that Sondheim ever wrote. I feel that the production at Encores with Lin Manuel Miranda and Collin Donnell was superior -but they also had a 30 piece orchestra and a much larger venue.

The good: the show itself. The stars of the show, Daniel and Jonathan are brilliant in it. Reg Rogers is brilliant and steals every scene any chance he gets. The score. The ensemble is fabulous.

The bad: wish they had dancers on the opening of act 2 like they did at Encores! The actress playing Gussie Carnegie was totally miscast and the actress playing Beth couldn't hit the notes as usual, and had to act it because she simply can't hit the notes or sustain them. Elizabeth Stanley and Betsy Wolfe were superior in every possible way.

In any case, 4 and 1/2 out of 5 stars. I am amazed how much people are willing to spend on this production or go through to get a ticket, but hoping a Broadway run is announced soon so no one is not able to pay the rent this month to see a show Off Broadway. I wish people would have half the enthusiasm to see shows like Diana, Bombay Dreams, The Woman in White, KPOP or other shows that are great entertainment but can't find an audience. Or even Merrily, that finally found an audience after all these years, and it's well deserved, because it's in my point of view, Sondheim's best creation.

"

I'm hearing from my industry friends that Maria's sister Sonia wants it for the Hudson next season but not sure of actual timing though.

Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
"

COMING TO BROADWAY FALL 2023

https://merrilyonbroadway.com/

Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

somechrysanthemumtea Profile Photo
somechrysanthemumtea
#429Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/20/22 at 4:53pm

Hi all! Did the cancellation line last Wednesday (14 Dec),  so I’m here to chime in with my experience on the cancellation line for their first ever Wednesday matinee! (Which was coincidentally the longest cancellation line they’d seen yet!)

I arrived at 9.30am, and was 5th in line, 6th arrived a few minutes after me. The first three came around 6am, and the person before me came about 9.20am. A few more people trickled in before 10am; but most people got to the theatre between 10:30-11am. When the box office opened at 11am, the line was around 20-25 people deep. Wild.

The first ticket was released right at 11am, the next one around 11:40am, after that a pair of tickets were sold at 12:10pm. What seemed to be the final ticket was sold right around 12:55pm, but at 1:05pm they told us they had two more tickets (so me and the man behind me got in). So in total; there were 7 tickets sold to 6 people via the cancellation line for the Wednesday matinee.

We were in what I believe were house seats so they were truly excellent :) it was really cold so please layer up properly and wear the right things! I couldn’t feel my toes :/

RAR85558
#430Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/21/22 at 12:06am

Thank you so much for this detailed info. I am going to try this in a few days, so you have prepared me for the magnitude of waiting that long. I was remembering heavy coat, gloves, and scarf, but forgot that a double pair of socks would also be needed. Glad that you got in and thanks again for the info.

EvvieDrake
#431Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/21/22 at 7:02pm

At this moment (just before 7 p.m. on Wednesday 12/21), the ticket site shows 2 tickets not together for the Friday matinee and 1 for the evening. Edit: gone by 7:10.

Thanks for sharing your experience in the cancellation line. I'm hoping to try it next week but I know it's a busy time for shows. Sounds like I could wait in line alone and buy 2 tickets so my mom can arrive 30 minutes before curtain to attend with me without waiting in the cold. If anyone knows different, let me know. I'm also thinking of bringing a tiny backpacking chair that fits in a backpack that would then fit under a theater seat. And hand warmers!

I'm curious how tickets go to the website vs. the cancellation line! I will keep refreshing in case something comes through to save me from waiting in the cold.

Updated On: 12/21/22 at 07:02 PM

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#432Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/21/22 at 7:08pm

Advice???...As someone who doesn't particularly like "Merrily"... I love the score just not the structure and I will admit the only production I've seen is the City Center production. Will this version change my mind or should I save my money?

JasonC3
#433Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/21/22 at 8:16pm

it is one of the better productions you'll likely see for some time, so I'd try to see it when it transfers. As to trying to wait in the cancellation line for NYTW tix, that's up to you and your desire and stamina for what it will entail. Seeing it in the more intimate space to me is always desirable, but I think you have to love a show to stand in the cold for 4-5 hours to make that happen.

chrishuyen
#434Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/21/22 at 8:22pm

If the inherent structure and plot are a big issue for you then I'm not sure that this production will fix it. What the production does is really enhance the characters and their relationships to each other so the actual events may not feel as important and you wouldn't necessarily just watching for the series of events, if that makes sense. Imo Merrily also just works better on a second watch once you've figured out what's going on and can just settle into the music and the characters themselves, but that's just me. You can try watching the proshot on YouTube as well as it's essentially the same production, but I like the actors at NYTW much better in the roles 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#435Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/23/22 at 12:23am

There are 2 seats available right now on the NYTW site for Friday 12/30 at 2.

pupscotch
#436Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/24/22 at 10:18am

For another cancellation line story: I did the cancellation line yesterday on 12/23 looking to get tickets for the matinee at 2pm. I got there at about 8:45am and was the third person in line, but both people in front of me were looking for two tickets (you're allowed to buy up to two, which I didn't know until I got there). The fourth person didn't arrive until 11:15am, and then ended up leaving later, and there was a steady stream of people starting at 11:35. By the time the box office opened, there were ten of us in line. The first tickets were sold at 12:35pm, and then the person in front of me got tickets at 1pm. At 1pm, I was offered tickets to either the upcoming 12/26 or 12/27 performance, which I ended up taking! Not sure how many people ultimately got in.

RAR85558
#437Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/24/22 at 4:16pm

I had mentioned in another post that I would be trying the cancellation line. So, here is my story. I took the train from Phila and booked a hotel so I would have 3 chances to try "the line" This was Thurs 12/22 eve and Fri 12/23 mat and eve. I went from the train to hotel for a bag drop and then to the line. Arrived at 4:45pm and was 8th in line. About 5pm, the first person was called to the box office. Then soon after the next 2 were called and then the next 2 were called. The next solo man wanted 2 tickets, and was offered 2 on another night, which he did buy. Then the man in front of me was called inside. It was about 6pm and I had made it to the #1 position in line. After 6pm, it starts getting busy with pick-ups and those who like to arrive early. No one addressed the line again until about 6:55 when a man came out and said, "I'm sorry, but there are no more tickets for tonight.' There were about 7 more people behind me. Then he looked at me and said "I have one ticket for tomorrow night. If you don't want it, I will offer it to the person behind you." Of course, I said yes and bought it. It was a 4th row seat on the aisle.

Sorry to ramble, but I wanted to be as accurate as possible, Moral (to me) is to make sure that you are aware that you can stand in line and potentially be offered a ticket to a future performance. The woman next to me (at the show last night) was in the line on Wed and offered a ticket for Fri. And the two next to us had won the lottery. So perhaps the 4th row is where the "house seats" are located?

It was absolutely outstanding. Groff and Radcliffe were superlative, but I think that the MVP may need to go to Mendez, who finally uncovered the essence of Mary for me. She is heartbreaking and glorious.

One update - I just saw that today at 3:15pm, two single seats popped up for the eve perf on Dec 28th!

Good luck and Happy Holidays.

melfi39
#438Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/24/22 at 4:50pm

Thank you to everyone who has posted about the cancellation line. I’ll be attempting it the week after New Years. Wish me luck! 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#439Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/26/22 at 8:56pm

7:00p show cancelled tonight at 8:15p due to technical difficulties, at which time the 3 leads came out to do a Q & A instead.

Springtime
#440Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/26/22 at 8:58pm

The 26 December performance was cancelled due to technical difficulties. Apparently some equipment had frozen due to the weather. Jonathan, Daniel and Lindsay appeared after an hour’s delay to announce the cancellation and then stayed for a short Q&A.

Update: a frozen console.

Updated On: 12/26/22 at 08:58 PM

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#441Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/26/22 at 10:36pm

Did they say anything about rebooking? Or just giving refunds and that’s that?

Gertrude McFuzz2
#442Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/27/22 at 1:00pm

The impromptu q&a looked awesome last night! It was nice they did that for the audience. There are a ton of videos on this page: https://www.tiktok.com/@dramafiendspod

hearthemsing22
#443Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/27/22 at 1:10pm

Gertrude McFuzz2 said: "The impromptu q&a looked awesome last night! It was nice they did that for the audience. There are a ton of videos on this page:https://www.tiktok.com/@dramafiendspod"

I love Daniel, he is such a genuinely nice person, but this made me a fan of J.Groff now too. 

tbway0987
#444Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/27/22 at 1:32pm

I have two extra tickets for Merrily We Roll Along for Thursday, January 12th at 7:00pm! Row B (second row) center. I have 4 tickets total and will be attending with a friend, so the other two tickets are now up for grabs, and can meet you at the theater with the tickets as soon as they are picked up from will call.  Taking best offer by January 1st for one or two of the tickets (PM me)!

Akitarent
#445Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/28/22 at 12:40am

just sent you a message

bway0987 said: "I have two extra tickets for Merrily We Roll Along for Thursday, January 12th at 7:00pm! Row B (second row) center. I have 4 tickets total and will be attending with a friend, so the other two tickets are now up for grabs, and canmeet you at the theater with the tickets as soon as they are picked up from will call. Taking best offer by January 1st for one or two of the tickets (PM me)!"

brdwybound04
#446Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/28/22 at 1:09am

I also sent you a message earlier about buying one of your tickets, Tbway0987!

Ensemble1672216601
#447Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/28/22 at 10:21am

Hi, I also sent you a PM, Tbway0987.  Thanks.

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#448Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/28/22 at 1:50pm

Gertrude McFuzz2 said: "The impromptu q&a looked awesome last night! It was nice they did that for the audience. There are a ton of videos on this page:https://www.tiktok.com/@dramafiendspod"

Thank you so much for this link!  Not on Tiktok so completely would have missed this otherwise. 

What a lovely principal cast...I can't wait to see this in a couple of weeks.

EvvieDrake
#449Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/29/22 at 2:34pm

Any word on whether NYTW is trying to accommodate the audience members from the cancelled show?

I’m planning to try the cancellation line tomorrow. I don’t see anything saying that they’ve stopped doing it, so I assume my odds will be similar to what people have posted about so far. But I would love to know if anything has changed. Thanks!

Videos