News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Radcliffe, Groff, and Mendez star in MERRILY - Reviews & News Thread- Page 16

Radcliffe, Groff, and Mendez star in MERRILY - Reviews & News Thread

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#375Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/2/22 at 7:31am

While the actual calendar still says fall, I and many others think of December as winter.

I understood what they meant perfectly.

Still playing the refreshing game…it’s fun at least! :)

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#376Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/2/22 at 8:27am

If something/anything builds momentum, it seems like a poor idea to then wait maybe 10 months to transfer.  But, maybe the stars won't be available again until next year?  Why the Hudson?  The Lyceum will be available soon.

Would this be of as much interest without these stars?  

Company - a better show - couldn't last with just Broadway names.  Hypothetically, what would the box office have been like if Emma Watson had been cast from the start as Bobbie instead of Ms Lenk?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#377Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/2/22 at 8:36am

"Still playing the refreshing game…it’s fun at least!"

Keep playing...you'll eventually get in. Grateful that I was able to get a single on Tuesday for myself and a single on Thursday for my friend. Was very worried that I wasn't going to get into this, but persistence pays off!

I listened to the OBCR last night and have not been able to stop thinking about this show for the past three days. It was truly outstanding and well exceeded my high expectations. I already have four Merrily recordings on CD, but would be thrilled to add a fifth to the shelf if this new cast is recorded.

Updated On: 12/2/22 at 08:36 AM

smidge2
#378Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/2/22 at 9:35am

WithoutATrace said: ""Still playing the refreshing game…it’s fun at least!"

Keep playing...you'll eventually get in. Grateful that I was able to get a single on Tuesday for myself and a single on Thursday for my friend. Was very worried that I wasn't going to get into this, but persistence pays off!

I listened to the OBCR last night and have not been able to stop thinking about this show for the past three days. It was truly outstanding and well exceeded my high expectations. I already have four Merrily recordings on CD, but would be thrilled to add a fifth to the shelf if this new cast is recorded.
"

Always great to hear from WAT !!!

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#379Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/2/22 at 9:49am

Awe, thanks, smidge!

I don't post too often anymore, but I am still reading this message board every day and am proud to be a long time member! And I still see everything on Broadway. I have a perfect record going back almost 18 years and have no plans on stopping now! I was just so blown away by this Merrily production that I had to chime in. It is certainly the hottest ticket in New York right now, and deservedly so! I hope everyone who wants to gets the chance to see it in this intimate venue.

JasonC3
#380Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/2/22 at 10:27am

inception said: "If something/anything builds momentum, it seems like a poor idea to then wait maybe 10 months to transfer. But, maybe the stars won't be available again until next year? Why the Hudson? The Lyceum will be available soon.

Would this be of as much interest without these stars?

Company -a better show - couldn't last with just Broadway names. Hypothetically, what would the box office have been like if Emma Watson had been cast from the start as Bobbie instead of Ms Lenk?
"

It isn't unreasonable to think that with these stars and potential strong reviews that this will relaunch as a hot ticket whenever it transfers.  A gap may not be ideal, but it also could build anticipation and desire for the transfer among those closed out from the current run ... at least for diehard Sondheim, Potter, or Groffsauce fans who likely are refreshing constantly as they read this.

camillesaur
#381Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/2/22 at 3:18pm

Anyone have any updates on the cancellation line for this? Have people been getting in via the cancellation line recently?

Springtime
#382Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/2/22 at 3:51pm

People are waiting up to six hours each day but apparently everyone on the line got in yesterday (about six people). 

Updated On: 12/2/22 at 03:51 PM

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#383Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/3/22 at 9:18am

"New  York Theatre Workshop is presenting the perennially revised Merrily We Roll Along, another Furth-Sondheim collaboration, in November, starring Daniel Radcliffe, Jonathan Groff and Lindsay Mendez and staged by Maria Friedman.

The director’s sister, producer Sonia Friedman — whose company is a subsidiary of ATG — signed investment papers with Chocolate Factory Productions and Patrick Catullo to raise $2 million to enhance the musical. The “current plan,” according to the papers filed with New York Attorney General Letitia James, is to present the first-ever Broadway revival of Merrily after the off-Broadway tryout."

This was posted in Broadway Journal in August, but haven't heard much more than that.

http://broadwayjournal.com/will-a-new-sweeney-todd-make-its-investors-a-killing-exclusive/

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#384Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/3/22 at 9:48am

Biggest disappointment: smoking onstage, especially in such a small area.

Updated On: 12/3/22 at 09:48 AM

The Other One
#385Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/3/22 at 12:02pm

JayElle said: "Biggest disappointment: smoking onstage, especially in such a small area."

You cared about that?!

The Other One
#386Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/3/22 at 12:05pm

"Also Gussie is such a one-dimensional villain, it's really boring. That's not meant as a criticism of Krystal Joy Brown's performance."

True, the character of Gussie is awfully arch.  Less of her would have sufficed, but I'd call this a minor complaint.  The production is a gem which captures the show's bittersweet essence as well as one could hope.  I would see it again in a heartbeat.

Updated On: 12/4/22 at 12:05 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#387Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/3/22 at 12:51pm

I'm hearing the Broadway transfer won't be this season due to scheduling.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#388Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/3/22 at 11:04pm

I saw the show tonight and really enjoyed it. I hope it transfers as soon as it can! 

Dan-Don
#389Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/4/22 at 1:10pm

Has anyone tried the cancelation line on a matinee day? And how early did you get there?

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#390Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/4/22 at 6:45pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "How's the cancellation line going? Anyone? What time would be recommended for an 8PM curtain?"

Bumping this. Someone said 6 hours, but do they mean 2pm, or are they selling cancellations earlier?

buffalospeedway
#391Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/5/22 at 2:19am

For weekend matinees, I'd get there at least 2 hours before the curtain and ideally, 4-5 hours before. It's a grind, but the first 4 people in the cancellation line will almost certainly get in.

hearthemsing22
#392Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/7/22 at 10:56am

I hate to ask this, especially given my stance on stagedooring right now (in general I would say do it if it makes you happy), but does anyone else come out after the show? 

FranklinDickson2018
#393Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/8/22 at 1:23am

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "There is NO way that story is true, even if it was in what universe would you share that?"

Thanks for this witty response.  I was at the doctor's office in the waiting room reading this.   And suddenly I was doubled over with laughter!!!  Really made my day --- although it did get me strange looks in the waiting area.

What universe, indeed.

hearthemsing22
#394Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/8/22 at 8:42am

Saw the show last night.

Fell in love with the show. 

I really hope a transfer happens-Maria Friedman says she wants to focus on what's happening right now, the production now. So...never say never, I guess? 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#395Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/8/22 at 9:51am

Of course they want to transfer.  No one does a show in a tiny theatre with a big movie star except to get people talking.  They hope that everyone who couldn't get tickets will buy in advance once a transfer is announced.  It is marketing.

Young people lining up daily for cancelation tickets is marketing.:

"What's everyone lining up for over there?"

"Harry Potter is in a notorious flop over there."

"What?!? Harry Potter is doing a show? How can I get tickets?"

" No sorry you can't, it's sold out." 

"What about them?"

"Oh you can line up every day for 6 six hours like a rummy at the Sally Ann hoping to get in."

"But I have a life..." 

"Oh wait now you can buy tickets for $250 to see it somewhere with enough seats"

"Praise Satan!"

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#396Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/8/22 at 9:55am

The theatre gods smiled down on me and I was able to secure a ticket for Saturday night’s final preview. To say I’m excited would be a massive understatement!

EvvieDrake
#397Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/8/22 at 12:58pm

WithoutATrace said: ""Still playing the refreshing game…it’s fun at least!"

Can someone confirm that I'm refreshing correctly? I'm on this page https://www.nytw.org/show/merrily-we-roll-along/tickets/0/ where it has a dropdown for all the shows in each month. I refresh the whole page and click the dropdown for December, see all shows listed as SOLD OUT, change it to January, see all shows except the final higher-priced benefit as SOLD OUT. Is that what I should be checking?

For people who got a ticket by refreshing, did this dropdown stop saying SOLD OUT for that show? Or do I need to be clicking into a sold-out show to see the calendar with every date crossed out, click a crossed-out date, and click the performance time to check that it's not really sold out at that moment?

Thank you for any advice! Planning to try the cancellation line while I'm in town at the end of December too, but I do enjoy the game of trying to get a tough ticket.

JSquared2
#398Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/8/22 at 1:02pm

inception said: "Of course they want to transfer. No one does a show in a tiny theatre with a big movie star except to get people talking. They hope that everyone who couldn't get tickets will buy in advance once a transfer is announced. It is marketing.

Young people lining up daily for cancelation tickets is marketing.:

"What's everyone lining up for over there?"

"Harry Potter is in a notorious flop over there."

"What?!? Harry Potter is doing a show? How can I get tickets?"

" No sorry you can't, it's sold out."

"What about them?"

"Oh you can line up every day for 6 six hours like a rummy at the Sally Ann hoping to get in."

"But I have a life..."

"Oh wait now you can buy tickets for $250 to see it somewhere with enough seats"

"Praise Satan!"
"

Be Random — Steel Magnolias (1989)

chrishuyen
#399Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 12/8/22 at 1:16pm

Yes when tickets pop up, the drop down will not show the sold out label so you'll know which days they pop up for. 

Videos