News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Stage Door situation 2023

Theatrefanboy1
#1Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/26/23 at 11:14am

I just heard that Shucked has “paused” their stage door situation.  Any other shows?    

Im also curious since stage dooring has returned has anyone noticed a little less craziness than 2019 or to what level the situation has been (I’m assuming a show like Sweeney Todd must have insanity ) but I’m curious if there’s been any regain of “sanity” at the stage door as well

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#2Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/26/23 at 12:04pm

As far as I’ve observed, things have proceeded as normal. I don’t see an overall change since the smaller shows have a smaller crowd and the bigger, star-driven shows have bigger ones.

Some shows are showing intermittent caution. HERE LIES LOVE for example, has a sign that said something to the effect of cast members may decline to stop and sign due to the rise in COVID cases. (Conrad and Lea were knocked out early in the run and Conrad also just had the flu for a week). 

I think it’s just important to remember:

1) It’s is not a right of the theatregoer or requirement of the cast member to participate in the stage door experience.

2) Doing so means you and the cast member assume all risks and caveats.

3) If a cast member declines, you have ZERO right to complain about it on any platform

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#3Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/26/23 at 12:46pm

I think we may see a pause happening. There have been positive Covid cases happening. It seems there are now two new strains hitting. The first one wasn't really bad (EG.5), I think I had it, with chest congestion and fatigue. I have been hearing that people are getting one that has had them in bed for up to 4 days and have been hearing from friends in the medical profession that there is an uptick in hospitalizations. I suspect with the BA.2.86 strain. Had some friends go on vacation the other week. some shared hotel rooms. A bunch came back with Covid. So I suspect Broadway is just going to start being careful to keep the actors healthy. 

Just give the world Love.

BroadwaysBroad
#4Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/26/23 at 3:34pm

I’m seeing Goodnight Oscar tonight, does anyone know if Sean Hayes is stage dooring?

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#5Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/26/23 at 3:48pm

BroadwaysBroad said: "I’m seeing Goodnight Oscar tonight, does anyone know if Sean Hayes is stage dooring?"

Sean Hayes doesn't stage door.

mshalo18
#6Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/26/23 at 6:35pm

Theatrefanboy1 said: "I just heard that Shucked has “paused” their stage door situation. Any other shows?

Im also curious since stage dooring has returned has anyone noticed a little less craziness than 2019 or to what level the situation has been (I’m assuming a show like Sweeney Todd must have insanity ) but I’m curious if there’s been any regain of “sanity” at the stage door as well
"

Josh Groban posted on his Instagram last night that he wouldn't be stage dooring for a few days. Sweeney is particularly insane and some of the fans seem downright rabid  (I remember driving by back in the spring past the Lunt after seeing Parade- you could hear the screaming from the corner of 46th St). 

Honestly-all shows should curtail stage dooring for the time being. 

BroadwayRox3588
#7Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/26/23 at 7:42pm

I honestly don't think all shows should stop stage dooring. If some shows want to, that's obviously their call; but it shouldn't be an industry-wide thing. In the grand scheme of things, it's really no more risky than anything else one would do in NYC. You can't avoid crowds in the Theater District. It's literally impossible.

Considering the higher-risk activities actors have to participate in (i.e. riding the subway), stopping stage dooring would have little-to-no effect on covid.

Updated On: 8/26/23 at 07:42 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#8Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/26/23 at 8:51pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "I honestly don't think all shows should stop stage dooring. If some shows want to, that's obviously their call; but it shouldn't be an industry-wide thing. In the grand scheme of things, it's really no more risky than anything else one would do in NYC. You can't avoid crowds in the Theater District. It's literally impossible.

Considering the higher-risk activities actors have to participate in (i.e. riding the subway), stopping stage dooring would have little-to-no effect on covid.
"

Yes, at this point there is no mandate so some things are "risky". Also, not all actors ride the subway. Some are picked up by a driver. Don't know if Groban is but, he got it. 

It's called taking precautions. Even if an actor doesn't get really sick, all it has to do is affect their throat or chest and they are out. As mentioned, I think I had the last one and I had chest congestion which turned into a slightly scratchy irritated throat. And also had a cough. I was blowing my nose after jacking phlem up. And it spread easily and fast. 

So I think anything they can do is good to keep the actors in the shows.  But it is also up to the actors themselves to be cautious outside of the theater. And they don't have to stagedoor, that is a courtesy they give to fans. If fans don't understand or are upset that  an actor decides not to stage door then they will just have to be upset. They will have to get over it. They saw them in the show which is why they were there. Stagedooring is just a perk. 

BroadwayRox3588
#9Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/26/23 at 9:07pm

uncageg said: "BroadwayRox3588 said: "I honestly don't think all shows should stop stage dooring. If some shows want to, that's obviously their call; but it shouldn't be an industry-wide thing. In the grand scheme of things, it's really no more risky than anything else one would do in NYC. You can't avoid crowds in the Theater District. It's literally impossible.

"

Yes, at this point there is no mandate so some things are "risky". Also, not all actors ride the subway. Some are picked up by a driver. Don't know if Groban is but, he got it.

It's called taking precautions. Even if an actor doesn't get really sick, all it has to do is affect their throat or chest and they are out. As mentioned, I think I had the last one and I had chest congestion which turned into a slightly scratchy irritated throat. And also had a cough. I was blowing my nose after jacking phlem up. And it spread easily and fast.

So I think anything they can do is good to keep the actors in the shows. But it is also up to the actors themselves to be cautious outside of the theater. And they don't have to stagedoor, that is a courtesy they give to fans. If fans don't understand or are upset that an actor decides not to stage door then they will just have to be upset. They will have to get over it. They saw them in the show which is why they were there. Stagedooring is just a perk.
"

totally agree that actors don't have to stagedoor. However, many of them enjoy doing it. Those who do should be allowed to do so. And those who don't should not be dragged for it.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#10Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/26/23 at 9:55pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "uncageg said: "BroadwayRox3588 said: "I honestly don't think all shows should stop stage dooring. If some shows want to, that's obviously their call; but it shouldn't be an industry-wide thing. In the grand scheme of things, it's really no more risky than anything else one would do in NYC. You can't avoid crowds in the Theater District. It's literally impossible.

"

It's called taking precautions. Even if an actor doesn't get really sick, all it has to do is affect their throat or chest and they are out. As mentioned, I think I had the last one and I had chest congestion which turned into a slightly scratchy irritated throat. And also had a cough. I was blowing my nose after ha,cking phlem up. My cough has gotten better but 3 weeks in I am still coughing up stuff from my chest. And it spread easily and fast.

So I think anything they can do is good to keep the actors in the shows. But it is also up to the actors themselves to be cautious outside of the theater. And they don't have to stagedoor, that is a courtesy they give to fans. If fans don't understand or are upset that an actor decides not to stage door then they will just have to be upset. They will have to get over it. They saw them in the show which is why they were there. Stagedooring is just a perk.
"

Itotallyagree that actors don't have to stagedoor. However, many of them enjoy doing it. Those who do should be allowed to do so. And those who don't should not be dragged for it.
"

Agree about actors that want to do it. I was also commenting on if they can't/are asked not to. That was iny head, sorry if it didn't come through in my post.

Updated On: 8/27/23 at 09:55 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#11Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/26/23 at 9:58pm

I've noticed cast members leaving the theater with masks on more and more frequently lately.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BroadwayRox3588
#12Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/26/23 at 10:33pm

ACL2006 said: "I've noticed cast members leaving the theater with masks on more and more frequently lately."

The times I've stagedoored over the past couple months (which is honestly hit or miss; I don't do it as often as I used to for multiple reasons), there's usually been at least one actor from most shows who has come out with a mask. Sometimes they sign/take photos.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#13Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/26/23 at 11:18pm

I got COVID this summer while traveling to Ptown. The illness itself was uncomfortable but mild. However, the cough lasted 2 months and if I talked for too long I’d start  hacking or my voice would just quit. My MD is seeing more of that and feels it is the new strain. Something like that would be brutal on an actor and vocalist. 

It sucks that this disease goes for the respiratory system. I don’t blame any actor for avoiding crowds and masking up. I mean an actor might just be out of a show for a few days but if they get a cough that lasts for months that is pretty precarious. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Zeppie2022
#14Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/26/23 at 11:45pm

"I think it’s just important to remember:

1) It’s is not a right of the theatregoer or requirement of the cast member to participate in the stage door experience.

2) Doing so means you and the cast member assume all risks and caveats.

3) If a cast member declines, you have ZERO right to complain about it on any platform"

Well said and I agree with your points 100%.

QueenTwinnied
#15Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/27/23 at 1:39am

uncageg said: "I think we may see a pause happening. There have been positive Covid cases happening. It seems there are now two new strains hitting. The first one wasn't really bad (EG.5), I think I had it, with chest congestion and fatigue. I have been hearing that people are getting one that has had them in bed for up to 4 days and have been hearing from friends in the medical profession that there is an uptick in hospitalizations. I suspect with the BA.2.86 strain. Had some friends go on vacation the other week. some shared hotel rooms. A bunch came back with Covid. So I suspect Broadway is just going to start being careful to keep the actors healthy."

It makes me want to scream that a new variant is on the rise right when we're about to get a new round of updated vaccines.

I had covid two months ago and it was pretty miserable. I agree that shows should be taking all precautions necessary at this point

BroadwayRox3588
#16Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/27/23 at 1:50am

I don't think anyone should begrudge anyone for taking precautions. At the same time, though, I also think the ship of shaming other people for not viewing covid exactly the same way as you (in general, not speaking to anyone here) sailed around mid-2022. Which is why I don't think industry-wide restrictions are the answer at this point. Rather, I think we leave the decisions up to individual shows to do what they feel is best (as Shucked is doing – I applaud them for going against the grain, whether or not I agree with the decision). I think we need to treat the adults who comprise of more than 95% of Broadway's performer apparatus like adults, and trust them to know what the right decisions for themselves are. Like we do with any other virus.

One thing I think we can all agree on: Anyone who throws shade at anyone for not stagedooring, for wearing masks, for avoiding crowds, or anything else like that, is a bonehead. It costs literally nothing to mind our own business; and like has been said by multiple posters here, stagedooring is an added bonus, and not part of your ticket.

Updated On: 8/27/23 at 01:50 AM

BroadwayRox3588
#17Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/27/23 at 1:56am

Another thing I think is important to note: There will always be new variants. As long as the virus circulates (which it will for the rest of our lives), it will continue to evolve, mutate, and spawn new variants. Just as all viruses do. So if you're among the camp that gets frustrated every time we get a new variant, I think you need to just, for lack of a better phrase (and I apologize if this sounds harsh), get used to it.

QueenTwinnied
#18Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/27/23 at 3:13am

BroadwayRox3588 said: "Another thing I think is important to note: There willalwaysbe new variants. As long as the virus circulates (which it will for the rest of our lives), it will continue to evolve, mutate, and spawn new variants. Just as all viruses do. So if you're among the camp that gets frustrated every time we get a new variant, I think you need to just, for lack of a better phrase (and I apologize if this sounds harsh), get used to it."

You really could've kept this condescending sh it to yourself, asshole. I'm not a child, I'm very aware of this and will continue to be annoyed when new variants pop up. 

Updated On: 8/27/23 at 03:13 AM

BroadwayRox3588
#19Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/27/23 at 3:52am

QueenTwinnied said: "You really could've kept this condescending sh it to yourself, asshole. I'm not a child, I'm very aware of this and will continue to be annoyed when new variants pop up."

You sure sound like one here.

QueenTwinnied
#20Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/27/23 at 5:01am

BroadwayRox3588 said: "QueenTwinnied said: "You really could've kept this condescending sh it to yourself, asshole. I'm not a child, I'm very aware of this and will continue to be annoyed when new variants pop up."

You sure sound like one here.
"

Wow you really got me with that predictable response. Someone got an A+ in basic internet snark. My point still stands that you could’ve kept that condescending message to your old crabby self. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#21Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/27/23 at 5:59am

you know what ship has also sailed?  the one where people try to make political hay out of COVID prevention efforts and concerns. Absolutely no one wants to hear that crap anymore, so just stop.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#22Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/27/23 at 6:29am

Bettyboy72 said: "I got COVID this summer while traveling to Ptown. The illness itself was uncomfortable but mild. However, the cough lasted 2 months and if I talked for too long I’d start hacking or my voice would just quit. My MD is seeing more of that and feels it is the new strain. Something like that would be brutal on an actor and vocalist.

It sucks that this disease goes for the respiratory system. I don’t blame any actor for avoiding crowds and masking up. I mean an actor might just be out of a show for a few days but if they get a cough that lasts for months that is pretty precarious.
"

I got Covid also from Ptown last year. Interesting lol

QueenTwinnied
#23Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/27/23 at 7:00am

Impeach2017 said: "you know what ship has also sailed? the one where people try to make political hay out of COVID prevention efforts and concerns. Absolutely no one wants to hear that crap anymore, so just stop."

Wow not sure who would use the word “political hay” unless they were born in 1950….

but regardless I would like to know who is making a “hay” about wanting to keep actors safe from Covid? You sound like a horrible person who needs to drink some prune juice. Go call your grandkids 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#24Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/27/23 at 8:11am

Two things we human beings can count on. The sun’ll come out tomorrow and any thread talking about the stage door will turn into what this one is, now. 

perfectpenguin
#25Stage Door situation 2023
Posted: 8/27/23 at 8:12am

I do not stage door. I have no interest. But many fans and performers do and enjoy doing it. That said, if performers are uncomfortable right now because of an increase in cases, that’s their choice. They are protecting their health and making the best decision for them. 

I agree that a universal/industry wide solution is not an option - for performers or audiences. Leave the choice up to the person for them to decide what to do. 

Videos