News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD- Page 27

THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#650THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 7:10pm

DAME said: " "Yeah, Bette's speech was fun but being a fan of hers since the 80's, I just lost some respect for her with her behavior during Tony season. I am sure they could have come up with a nice production number for the awards. And did I read somewhere that she arrived late last night? Bad form, in my opinion. Just my opinions."

Just curious as to what behavior you are referring too?  As far as I can tell she only missed one award ceremony.  So just curious.. besides not performing at the Tonys which as far as we know probably had nothing to do with her.. what behavior?   BTW..  the full show is  is already out there  .. if you know how to look.  One with Gavin and one without. 

"

Can someone please point me in the right direction? I've wanted to see it again but obviously due to ticket prices, that's not happening anytime soon and I've looked in all the normal broadway bootleg places and keep coming up short.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#651THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 7:24pm

Loved Bette last night.   From her stint as a presenter to her speech after having won the well deserved Best Actress in a Musical Tony Award.   I could have listened to her all night.

Bravo to David Hyde Pierce for doing a fabulous job performing a number surrounded by such controversy.  What a thankless position he was placed in.  

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

#652THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 9:47pm

I'm a little surprised at the hate from some for Bette's speech. If you watch some of her old awards speeches on YouTube, you will see she has always been like that. She is completely over the top, camp, diva like and cheeky. That is the Divine Miss M character she has played on stage for the past 50 years and it has worked pretty well for her. If you read a lot of the news reports for the Tonys most of them are saying she owned the show with her speech. Congrats to all the winners, they ALL earned their spots on the awards.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#653THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:11pm

Jed2 said: "I'm a little surprised at the hate from some for Bette's speech. If you watch some of her old awards speeches on YouTube, you will see she has always been like that. She is completely over the top, camp, diva like and cheeky. That is the Divine Miss M character she has played on stage for the past 50 years and it has worked pretty well for her. If you read a lot of the news reports for the Tonys most of them are saying she owned the show with her speech. Congrats to all the winners, they ALL earned their spots on the awards.

Yes, we know, she has always been awful. Doesn't make it better now.

hamiltonboys
#654THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:26pm

I was texting my dad throughout the ceremony as he is planning his honeymoon to NYC in September. He already has Come from Away tickets. I told him that Great Comet might interest him and didn't receive a response after they performed, but he was impressed with Bandstand (which doesn't surprise me as he loved American in Paris which is also dance-heavy and old-fashioned). 

I really do think Bandstand's performance will help them survive until the fall at least.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#655THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:39pm

"Now let's get the hell out of here before Bette Midler starts thanking more people. Oh, did I say that one out loud?" < THIS.

For that one crack I almost forgave him for the Carson bit

( REALLY? is there anyone under 45 who knows who Carson is?)

I was disappointed CFA did not get best book.( Not surprised tho but that is for the Tony Bitter thread)  Ron Duguay? I get he is a great hockey player but THAT'S the best Canadian Content  they could find? Martin Short maybe?  Catherine O'Hara?  Andrea Martin?  Hell Loren Lipowitz?   Nope gots to be a shinny player. Jeez Louise!

Yankees please espalin' why all the love for Dr Biden- why her of all people to intro  Bandstand?

My heart went out to DHP. OH there was reason that clunker was cut originally. He stands a little taller to me for his  well meant  if  none the less thankless performance.

I know I'm in the minority but I kinda liked the Rockettes bit- I spect that was the reason for the all male chorus in the beginning: they knew they were gonna give the male heteros some candy  and wanted to distribute it evenly.

cheeky

I'm not commenting on DEH. I'm not it's demographic.  Saw nothing there that would change my mind.

I did not like the In Memoriam- I found it visually over busy and hard to follow though the quartet made a nice change.

I appreciated all the tributes to arts funding, arts ed even the blatant begging "a lot of you are rich found an arts scholarship and change a kids life" 

all in all C+ B- for the show.

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#656THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:50pm

sabrelady said: ""Yankees please espalin' why all the love for Dr Biden- why her of all people to intro  Bandstand?

Dr. Jill Biden has worked and continues to work tirelessly for military members and their families.  She was a perfect choice to introduce "Bandstand".  Yes, she is loved.  There is not one single negative comment that can be made about the former Second Lady.  

Updated On: 6/12/17 at 10:50 PM

#657THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:50pm

"Yes, we know, she has always been awful. Doesn't make it better now."

Sorry you have that much hate for another person Hork.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#658THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 11:55pm

THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

hork Profile Photo
hork
#659THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/13/17 at 1:52am

Jed2 said: "

Sorry you're such a weirdly sanctimonious exaggerator.

"

#660THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/13/17 at 2:10am

hork said: 

I don't stoop for trolls, cya!

hork Profile Photo
hork
#661THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/13/17 at 2:21am

Jed2 said: "hork said: 

I don't stoop for trolls, cya!

A troll is someone who tries to provoke an emotional response, which is precisely what I don't want from you.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#662THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/13/17 at 7:29am

Jed2 said: "I'm a little surprised at the hate from some for Bette's speech. If you watch some of her old awards speeches on YouTube, you will see she has always been like that. She is completely over the top, camp, diva like and cheeky. That is the Divine Miss M character she has played on stage for the past 50 years and it has worked pretty well for her. If you read a lot of the news reports for the Tonys most of them are saying she owned the show with her speech. Congrats to all the winners, they ALL earned their spots on the awards.

"

She might be. But rules are rule not just because there are there to cramp you; CBS will lose money if the show goes overtime. Also, since when is it okay to not be respectful whoever you are?  

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#663THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/13/17 at 7:50am

gypsy101 said: "watching finally now... was the murder at the beginning of Miss Saigon's performance like... necessary

"

Yes. That's my favorite scene in the show and totally slams Don'tBuyMissSaigon's comments on Kim being a weak character.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#664THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/13/17 at 8:41am

Cat Guy said: "sabrelady said: ""Yankees please espalin' why all the love for Dr Biden- why her of all people to intro  Bandstand?

Dr. Jill Biden has worked and continues to work tirelessly for military members and their families.  She was a perfect choice to introduce "Bandstand".  Yes, she is loved.  There is not one single negative comment that can be made about the former Second Lady.
"

Dr. Biden was also the stepmother of Beau Biden, who served in the Delaware Army National Guard during Operation Iraqi Freedom. She's a military mom through and through. Rest in peace, Beau. 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."
Updated On: 6/13/17 at 08:41 AM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#665THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/13/17 at 8:51am

Dancingthrulife2 said: "gypsy101 said: "watching finally now... was the murder at the beginning of Miss Saigon's performance like... necessary"

Yes. That's my favorite scene in the show and totally slams Don'tBuyMissSaigon's comments on Kim being a weak character.
"

My favorite scene as well, and yes, it illustrates the lengths that Kim will go to to protect her child (she then segued into "I'd Give My Life For You", get it?).

I was thrilled when I heard they were doing "This Is The Hour", although I was a little disappointed that they didn't let the wonderful Devin Ilaw sing at least a couple of lines before killing him.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#666THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/13/17 at 9:01am

Based on Eva's performance at the Tony's, I now wish she was Kim instead of her alternate when I saw Miss Saigon. It looks like she had the better voice. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#667THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:14am

Big Apple2 said: "Based on Eva's performance at the Tony's, I now wish she was Kim instead of her alternate when I saw Miss Saigon. It looks like she had the better voice."

I saw Eva Noblezada twice and then saw Lianah Sta. Ana, and I definitely feel that Ms. Noblezada is the stronger singer and actor. When I saw Lianah Sta. Ana, her vocals were often buried in the music.

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#668THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/13/17 at 1:34pm

This year's Tonys took a dip in the ratings. Although they didn't go head-to-head with the NBA Finals unlike in past years, they unfortunately were up against game 6 of the NHL finals.

Sunday’s Hamilton-less Tonys on CBS averaged 6 million viewers, down 31% versus last year, and down 44% among the A18-49 demo (adults 18-49).

broadwayfreak4 Profile Photo
broadwayfreak4
#669THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/15/17 at 1:49am

Any word on when or if this will be released on iTunes? I didn't get a chance to watch them.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#670THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/15/17 at 8:10am

broadwayfreak4 said: "Any word on when or if this will be released on iTunes? I didn't get a chance to watch them."

I don't know about iTunes, but I believe you can still watch the entire show here:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/tony_awards/

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#671THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/15/17 at 9:14am

sabrelady said: ""Now let's get the hell out of here before Bette Midler starts thanking more people. Oh, did I say that one out loud?" < THIS.

For that one crack I almost forgave him for the Carson bit

( REALLY? is there anyone under 45 who knows who Carson is?)

"

I do.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Videos