News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD- Page 24

THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

hork Profile Photo
hork
#575THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:37am

Kind of a boring evening all around. This is the second year in a row in which I wasn't particularly excited by any performances. I used to get excited about everything.

The opening number was cute at first, but mostly kind of painful.

The Best Play presentations were weird and awkward and if I were a Tony nominated writer the last thing I'd want to do would be to go on live television and describe my play. They're lucky all the nominees are good speakers, because a lot of writers aren't (which is partly why they're writers).

Bette Midler is the worst.

MadsonMelo
#576THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:43am

Awards wise: I'm absolutely thrilled that Bandstand and Play that Goes Wrong won their so much deserved awards despite an overall lack of support!

But I have to admit that I wasn't expecting DEH to win so much (book and orchestrations??), and Comet to win so little (one that was undeniable) despite twelve noms, damn!

CFA's win for director? OVER RACHKIN? GIVE ME A BREAK! Also, how Dave Malloy got NOTHING? Completely ridiculous, should've got that Orchestration award from Evan.

Ben Platt's win showed how respected his performance is (and really makes me wonder how DEH will work without him).

Aronov, yummy, winning over DeVito gave me LIFE, I called that and happily went right!

It was sad to see Linney losing to Metcalf, but Metcalf is perfection. And at least, Nixon won and gave an amazing speech.

But can we talk about Midler's speech? At first I thought ''whatever, get out'', then SHE SAID CUT THAT CRAP OFF and I CRACKED and love how she knows her power. It's Divine Miss M, dwarrrling!

A Director
#577THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:49am

The number from WAR PAINT was a bore!

BentleyB
#578THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 4:56am

Dane F said: "loveinnewyorkcity said: "I have second row seats to Hello Dolly! this week. Safe to say I will be taking my seat when Bette comes  out for a bow. Pretentious, obnoxious, and undeserving.

Its too bad her now stale talent is overshadowed by her ugly and disgusting ego.

"

Wow, bunch of tools on this message board,,,,

I have to agree   You want to see her perform?  Pay for a ticket and go to New York   I bought 8 tickets the minute they went on sale and we took 3 couples for my birthday.  She is magnificent and so is the show   Quit being bitchy, mean spirited queens.  Sh owes you nothing but the performance YOU pay for .  I have seen her numerous times and there are few harder working entertainers.  I recently joined this board but your **** attitudes and smug replies have just ended me coming here.  jeez 

"

JBC3
#579THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 5:20am

Spacey was decent, but the entire telecast felt flat to me and others with whom I viewed it. It lacked the humor and energy of some of the previous best productions, and opening number was too long and too insider for too little payoff.

I still have vivid memories of 2013 and the incredible opening featuring all the shows and then the hilarious mid-show number about cancelled shows with Rannells, Benanti, and Hilty. 

Given the incredible talent on Broadway, that level of quality should not be an aberration for TONY performances. The writing this year was consistently weak.

pupscotch
#580THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 6:18am

I must admit my heart broke a little hearing Uma Thurman say that "Glass ceilings are meant to be shattered" directly after Rachel Chavkin lost best director. Dave Malloy not winning at least Orchestrations was also shocking to me.

After Eight
#581THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 6:26am

I was as disappointed as anyone else over Penny in My Pocket. This is the  song used to represent the great Hello, Dolly! to millions? What a letdown.  My heart sank watching David Hyde Pierce try and sell this song out of context in that huge space. Frankly, I felt it never should have been placed in the revival in the first place. Those responsible for this unfortunate situation deserve all the blame they are receiving.

But I also wonder why the producers of Sunday in the Park With George are not being similarly castigated. Here was a critically-acclaimed revival of a show deemed a masterpiece by many, and it wasn't even made eligible for any awards? Shouldn't the actors and creative team have been given their due, and an opportunity for recognition?  And what about audiences watching the Tony broadcast? Shouldn't they have been given the chance to see Jake Gyllenhaal shine? And what about having a scene from the show recorded for posterity?

djoko84
#582THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 6:33am

The show was kind of boring, but it wasn't too bad. It's a much better show than most award shows on TV. I was very happy with the winners since almost all my favorites won and I got most of them right. Onto next year with The Band's Visit sweeping the Tonys!

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#583THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 9:22am

After Eight said: "But I also wonder why the producers of Sunday in the Park With George are not being similarly castigated. Here was a critically-acclaimed revival of a show deemed a masterpiece by many, and it wasn't even made eligible for any awards? Shouldn't the actors and creative team have been given their due, and an opportunity for recognition?  And what about audiences watching the Tony broadcast? Shouldn't they have been given the chance to see Jake Gyllenhaal shine? And what about having a scene from the show recorded for posterity?"

Who are you and what have you done with After Eight?

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#584THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 9:45am

As much as I loathe the whole clap-for-the-famous-dead-people thing, I was very disappointed at the lack of audience response for Martha Swope - of all the people on that list, she arguably contributed the most to the theatre.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#585THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 9:49am

ucjrdude902 said: "Maybe it was the into, but CFA came across very lackluster on television. Never had and still don't have any interested in seeing it."

I saw them perform "Welcome to the Rock" about a month ago on one of the late-night talk shows and thought, "meh". A week later I saw the actual show and was blown away. For some reason, this song (and perhaps the show in general) does not come across on TV like it does when you're actually there. I thought it was absolutely brilliant.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#586THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 9:49am

Updated On: 6/12/17 at 09:49 AM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#587THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 9:55am

chernjam said: "These performances from the shows are always challenging (time limits, new stage, etc) so I try to keep that in mind, but so far CFA and Miss Saigon did nothing for me"

I'm not sure why, but "Welcome to the Rock" doesn't seem to effectively convey the experience of Come From Away.

On the other hand, "This is the Hour" is perhaps my favorite piece of music from Miss Saigon, so I'm thrilled that they did it - now I've got video for my archive!

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#588THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:02am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Miss Saigon was wonderful. Eva nailed it, of course. Was that Jon Jon at the end or a understudy? Clever they didn't do a zoom up on him"

I'm pretty sure it was. The understudy looks nothing like him, and he had just enough time to run backstage and get into the costume and wig after the introduction.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#589THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:02am

songanddanceman2 said: "I loved The Groundhog Day number, it was so simply done and Andy broke my heart."

Me too. It's a deliciously bittersweet song.

wonkit
#590THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:04am

"Welcome to the Rock" sold the show for me - ordering tickets today. "Penny in My Pocket" was so bad I changed the channel. Completely unimpressed by the GROUNDHOG performance, in spite of liking Andy Karl tremendously. Could have done without COMET which seemed loud and overplayed. Wish that Colbert and Midler had stated home since they thought it was about them. At least Midler had an excuse.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#591THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:12am

I had a great time viewing this at the Laurie Beechman theatre sans the sobbing and screaming DEH fan who happened to be at our table (luckily behind me). It was really fun being in a big group of people who understood the more next-level jokes like moving the cast to the arm.

I LOVED the opening number and that Roger Ailes didn't make it into the In Memorium. THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#592THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:13am

songanddanceman2 said: "War Paint, yawn, couldn't understand Patti, plus she always seems to play the same kinda character."

Yes, she plays Patti LuPone.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#593THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:17am

Not to keep rehashing it, but I don't get using Bette's age as an excuse for some of her antics. She's 71, not 91. Yes, she's doing wonderful work, but I don't think her age is a fair excuse for skipping out on award shows, events, and not performing last night.

For example:

Patti LuPone, 68, and Christine Ebersole, 64, performing 8x a week in larger and much more difficult roles than Dolly. They didn't skip certain events and they sang their faces off last night.

In 2015, Chita Rivera at 82 performed 8x a week in a leading song and dance role, did all the press, and performed on the Tonys.

If Bette truly wanted perform last night, she could've. There were other options besides the title number.

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#594THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:19am

Previously, I had listened to CFA and kind of liked the music but that performance of Welcome to the Rock did nothing for me and i found myself cringing at the entire performance including the folksy dialogue. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#595THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:22am

greenifyme2 said: "[Great Comet] did look/sound a little Fiddler on the Roof-ish?@"

LOL, I thought the same thing!

JBC3
#596THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:24am

ljay889 said: "Not to keep rehashing it, but I don't get using Bette's age as an excuse for some of her antics. She's 71, not 91. Yes, she's doing wonderful work, but I don't think her age is a fair excuse for skipping out on award shows, events, and not performing last night.

For example:

Patti LuPone, 68, and Christine Ebersole, 64, performing 8x a week in larger and much more difficult roles than Dolly. They didn't skip certain events and they sang their faces off last night.

In 2015, Chita Rivera at 82 performed 8x a week in a leading song and dance role, did all the press, and performed on the Tonys.

If Bette truly wanted perform last night, she could've. There were other options besides the title number.
"

Good points, but we also cannot assume that age and performance schedules are the same for each individual. I have relatives the same age of Bette and they have dropped their level of activity considerably from one  year to the next.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#597THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:28am

JBC3 said: "ljay889 said: "Not to keep rehashing it, but I don't get using Bette's age as an excuse for some of her antics. She's 71, not 91. Yes, she's doing wonderful work, but I don't think her age is a fair excuse for skipping out on award shows, events, and not performing last night.

For example:

"

Good points, but we also cannot assume that age and performance schedules are the same for each individual. I have relatives the same age of Bette and they have dropped their level of activity considerably from one  year to the next.

"

That is fair! It's just that I don't look at Bette and see an elderly and tired woman. Maybe looks are deceiving, and that's what throws me off when people use her age as an explanation.

Updated On: 6/12/17 at 10:28 AM

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#598THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:38am

David Hyde Pierce's rendition of "Penny In My Pocket" was wonderful.  Just a singer standing in front of a massive curtain performing a fun song.  My favorite moment.

And Bette.  A superstar for half a century.  Bringing people (and their dollars) to Broadway.  Infusing the season with some real excitement.  The producers were waaaay out of line trying to push this legend off the stage before she had her well-deserved moment.  Shame on them.

broadwaysfguy
#599THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:39am

Very excited for Pasek & Paul, Ben Platt, Alex Lacomoire (second year straight, baby) and the entire Evan Hansen team. Sorry and surprised Michael Grief didnt win (would have made up for not winning for Rent). Haven't seen this seasons shows yet, but DEH stands head and shoulders above the other cast recordings for a cold listen without having seen the show(Anastasia is second best cast recording for this)

Thought Great Comet, DEH, and Bandstand gave fantastic performances, and the others fell flat. Kevin Spacey was ok, especially his wink nod references to coming out and his Bill Clinton impression. They really should just give a five year contract to Jackman, NPK or James Corden.  Stephen Colbert hasnt been funny since the Colbert Report, and someone should pull him aside and let him know.

Would have liked to see more love for Come From Away, and a performance number from Anastasia.

I love old time, "golden era" musicals, but have never understood all the love and drooling adoration for Hello, Dolly. (much prefer Jerry Herman's work in Mame and La Cage). Another vote here that thought Bette should have performed. Would have been great to preserve her performance, would have sold more of her cds, would have sold tix when it tours. I imagine she is also too good to meet fans at stage door as well?  She can keep her $750 per orch premium seat,  I'll go see Donna Murphy and the rest of the cast for $197. Love David hyde pierce, Gavin Creel and the other cast members....

Sounds like everyones already giving all of next years awards to The Bands Visit so hoping for some original competition for 2018 and of course very excited for My Fair Lady, Carousel and other 2018 revivals

Videos