News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD- Page 26

THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#625THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:05pm

I don't have fangs out. I really have no opinion of Midler, honestly. I am not into Diva worship. She farts, I will tell you it stinks. Won't rave about the bouquet because it is Bette.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

A Director
#626THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:43pm

Kevin Spacey was the worst Tony host ever!

The song from War Paint was awful with boring music and lyrics.

Bette Midler's speech was great.  She woke up the show.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#627THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:49pm

THE WRAP is stating that viewership was down 44% from last year...

http://www.thewrap.com/tony-awards-ratings-hamilton-stanley-cup-penguins/

Broadway61004
#628THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:51pm

I'm sorry, but did I completely miss this Dear Evan Hansen "sweep"? It won 6 awards. Not 11 like Hamilton or 12 like Producers or even 9 like Mormon. It and Dolly combined for 10, or less than half the awards. Everything else won 2 or less, resulting in 9 different shows winning out of 24 categories. I'd actually say that's "spreading the wealth" pretty well.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#629THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:52pm

Are you really sorry to ask that?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

romain2
#630THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:52pm

Biggest Shouts of Glee from Me:  the Best Director win for Indecent (truly inventive); all 4 of the Play Acting wins (although I would have been thrilled if Richard Thomas had won Featured Actor); the Actor, Featured Actress, and Book wins for Dear Evan Hansen; and even though I haven't seen Hello, Dolly! (who has the cash?), I was thrilled to see Gavin Creel finally win--love that guy!

Biggest Disappointment:  the Best Play win for Oslo.  I managed to catch all 4 of the nominated plays (on an out of town visit) and Oslo ranks a distant 4th for me.  I found that the two Norwegian characters didn't have enough to do.  I would have loved to have seen Sweat or Indecent win instead.  Although I do have to say Michael Aronov kicks some much-needed energy into the piece in Act 2, and I thought Anthony Azizi was also good.  But seriously, it needed to 3 hours long?  I spent a lot of time wondering why Ehle and Mays had little more to do than stand around and watch with concerned looks on their faces--not enough character development.

My Controversial Opinion:  the Best Director win for Come from Away was deserved.  I loved Great Comet too, but let's be honest:  some people say they couldn't keep up with some of the action, and many on this board have complained about sight lines.  Come from Away had a tricky task for Ashley--the director had actors doubling up on roles and had to make all of this role shifting clear.  The fact that he managed to make all of this potentially confusing action easy to navigate is a credit to his work with the gifted ensemble.  I would have liked a 3 way tie (DEH, CFA, GC).

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#631THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:04pm

The only performances that sold their shows were Great Comet and Bandstand.

DEH was fine, but both their promotion and the performance make the entire show about Ben Platt, and the show is sold out until he leaves. Then what?

I'm told Hello Dolly performed, but I certainly didn't hear a single Hello Dolly song during the telecast. If they didn't want Bette to perform (for whatever asinine reason) they could have done a modified Put On Your Sunday Clothes or Elegance. At least those are classics. This was like having a major Sound of Music revival and having them perform No Way to Stop It at the Tonys.

Kevin Spacey was awful and his repeated closet jokes were offensive.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 6/12/17 at 02:04 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#632THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:06pm

Caught a lot of it. Waiting for On Demand to put the 2nd and 3rd parts up. All that I have seen so far I enjoyed. Thought Spacey did a womderful job. The first part of the opening was a bit clunky but was still funny.

Would like to have seen Greif finally win an award. Of the three plays I saw I was torn between A Doll's House and Indecent. By last night I was hoping Indecent would win as the show has stuck with me since seeing it 2 weeks ago.

Yeah, Bette's speech was fun but being a fan of hers since the 80's, I just lost some respect for her with her behavior during Tony season. I am sure they could have come up with a nice production number for the awards. And did I read somewhere that she arrived late last night? Bad form, in my opinion. Just my opinions.

Just give the world Love.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#633THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:08pm

romain2 said: "My Controversial Opinion: the Best Director win for Come from Away was deserved.  I loved Great Comet too, but let's be honest:  some people say they couldn't keep up with some of the action, and many on this board have complained about sight lines.  Come from Away had a tricky task for Ashley--the director had actors doubling up on roles and had to make all of this role shifting clear.  The fact that he managed to make all of this potentially confusing action easy to navigate is a credit to his work with the gifted ensemble."

I agree, and in My Controversial Opinion™ (I love that), Come From Away should also have won Best Musical. Mr. Platt was the clear winner for Best Actor, but I observed too many plot issues with Dear Evan Hansen (most of which have already been adequately outlined here) to merit the top prize.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 6/12/17 at 02:08 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#634THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:13pm

"Yeah, Bette's speech was fun but being a fan of hers since the 80's, I just lost some respect for her with her behavior during Tony season. I am sure they could have come up with a nice production number for the awards. And did I read somewhere that she arrived late last night? Bad form, in my opinion. Just my opinions."

Just curious as to what behavior you are referring too?  As far as I can tell she only missed one award ceremony.  So just curious.. besides not performing at the Tonys which as far as we know probably had nothing to do with her.. what behavior?   BTW..  the full show is  is already out there  .. if you know how to look.  One with Gavin and one without. 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 6/12/17 at 02:13 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#635THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:17pm

QUOTE OF THE DAY  

"Shut that crap off" - Bette Midler to the music that tried to play her off as she was giving her Tonys speech for best actress in a musical. Nobody puts Bette in a corner.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#636THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:41pm

Dame, I thought she was a no show for a few things. And if not, I hear she also was behind wanting to broadcast from the theater. Just my opinion but I thought she should be live at the awards in a production number.

As far as where to watch. I can wait for On Demand. I have seen a alot of it out of order online. I just like to watch it from beginning to end in one sitting. On my couch!  Waiting has given me time on my day off to do a lot of laundry and make myself a nice meal for lunch and dinner!

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#637THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:46pm

Now that was one God awful opening--messy,unfunny,busy and those parodies of unknown[to me] songs just boring[wonder if after8 commented]--at least the host had a reasonable singing voice and the audience was sensible enough NOT to give it a standing ovation.

Why is it funny to make yourself look like an idiot and wear a groundhogs' mask?--childish.

With all the talent around is that the best idea they could come up with for an opening????

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#638THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 3:01pm

uncageg said: "Dame, I thought she was a no show for a few things. And if not, I hear she also was behind wanting to broadcast from the theater. Just my opinion but I thought she should be live at the awards in a production number.

As far as where to watch. I can wait for On Demand. I have seen a alot of it out of order online. I just like to watch it from beginning to end in one sitting. On my couch!  Waiting has given me time on my day off to do a lot of laundry and make myself a nice meal for lunch and dinner!

"

Nope.  Except for one thing she went where she said she would.  There was one luncheon she also missed.. but I believe she was never going.  When you say behavior I thought you meant like tantrums or something.  BTW she has had perfect attendance...   and something I do know as a fact.. the Hello Dolly company loves her.  She has been very generous with all of them in every way. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#639THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 3:02pm

uncageg said: "Caught a lot of it. Waiting for On Demand to put the 2nd and 3rd parts up. All that I have seen so far I enjoyed. Thought Spacey did a womderful job. The first part of the opening was a bit clunky but was still funny.

Would like to have seen Greif finally win an award. Of the three plays I saw I was torn between A Doll's House and Indecent. By last night I was hoping Indecent would win as the show has stuck with me since seeing it 2 weeks ago.

Yeah, Bette's speech was fun but being a fan of hers since the 80's, I just lost some respect for her with her behavior during Tony season. I am sure they could have come up with a nice production number for the awards. And did I read somewhere that she arrived late last night? Bad form, in my opinion. Just my opinions.

"her behavior???

THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 6/12/17 at 03:02 PM

smidge
#640THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 3:04pm

DAME said: " "Yeah, Bette's speech was fun but being a fan of hers since the 80's, I just lost some respect for her with her behavior during Tony season. I am sure they could have come up with a nice production number for the awards. And did I read somewhere that she arrived late last night? Bad form, in my opinion. Just my opinions."

Just curious as to what behavior you are referring too?  As far as I can tell she only missed one award ceremony.  So just curious.. besides not performing at the Tonys which as far as we know probably had nothing to do with her.. what behavior?   BTW..  the full show is  is already out there  .. if you know how to look.  One with Gavin and one without. 

Dame, when you say full show are you talking about the Tonys or Hello Dolly? One with or without Gavin confused me.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#641THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 3:05pm

He's referring to bootleg videos.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#642THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 3:06pm

He?

10086Sundays
#643THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 3:07pm

Bette's head looks freakishly large and photoshoppped in that picture. 

Question about the opening number:  Why were the dancers only male?  I'm truly not asking that to get into a discussion or insults/jokes about Kevin Spacey's sexual orientation.  I'm really curious to know why. 

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#644THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 3:10pm

Question about the opening number:  Why were the dancers only male?  I'm truly not asking that to get into a discussion or insults/jokes about Kevin Spacey's sexual orientation.  I'm really curious to know why. 

"

Honestly, I doubt there was really any reason. 

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#645THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 3:17pm

I really enjoyed the show. Come from away was the last of the 4 I needed to see and I rushed it yesterday. After seeing it I definitely agree with Dear Evan Hansen getting the win for best musical. 

Michael Arnov deserved the award, I caught the show from the front row last week and his range of acting was fantastic, he could go from intense to making a joke in a minute and has awesome facial expressions. I went into Oslo not really looking forward to it and he really made me like it more than I expected to. 

I enjoyed groundhog day when I saw it but they should have picked a different song for this. 

Great comet was a lot of fun but I can't believe they made all those people do 3 long days of rehearsal to barely participate, they basically just shook the shakers. Im sure it was still an amazing experience but I expected them to be more involved.  

Updated On: 6/12/17 at 03:17 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#646THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 3:20pm

Oh no, I did not mean being nasty or difficult. I pass by the stage door a lot and have seen her being quite gracious to passerbys.

smidge
#647THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 3:30pm

ljay889 said: "He's referring to bootleg videos.

Thanks, ljay, I thought so. I think uncageg was looking for the Tony Awards on demand.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#648THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 6:42pm

watching finally now... was the murder at the beginning of Miss Saigon's performance like... necessary

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#649THE OFFICIAL 2017 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
Posted: 6/12/17 at 6:52pm

I wish they'd done more of the beginning of that scene, honestly.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Videos