News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL- Page 68

THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL

musicaltheatreman2
#1675THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 1:36pm

In the past when NBC releases the DVD of their Live broadcast for purchase (SOM, PP) is it the actual live production that aired on tv with all of the camera mistakes, sound issues and any other mishaps that happen during the live broadcast, or do they release a cleaned up filming of the production that is different from what aired on tv?  Thanks 

Updated On: 12/5/15 at 01:36 PM

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#1676THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 1:38pm

Tag said: "#3 from Playbill's 5 Things You Never Knew About The Wiz But Should List

3. Original Glinda, Dee Dee Bridgewater, won a Tony Award for about five minutes of stage time.
Joining the ranks of Marilyn Cooper in Woman of the Year and both Marian Mercer and Katie Finneran in Promises, Promises, Dee Dee Bridgewater holds the distinction of winning a Tony Award for an extremely brief performance. Her character of Glinda didn't appear onstage until the very end of the story; she sang a short entrance song ("A Rested Body is a Rested Mind"THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL, had a brief scene, and then sang a reprise of the show's emotional anthem "Believe In Yourself." When all was said and done, she was on stage for less than six minutes."

Just as I thought! It really didn't matter how long she was on stage. It's what she did while she was up there that mattered - - - and got her not only the nomination, but the award!  Thanks for the info Tag!

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

Theater_Nerd
#1677THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 1:42pm

musicaltheatreman2 said: "In the past when NBC releases the DVD of their Live broadcast for purchase (SOM, PP) is it the actual live production that aired on tv with all of the camera mistakes, sound issues and any other mishaps that happen during the live broadcast, or do they release a cleaned up filming of the production that is different from what aired on tv?  Thanks "

That's a great question. I don't own any of the DVD releases so I myself do not know, but I am planning on purchasing "The Wiz: Live" once it is available. I really loved it more than the other two that were done.

Updated On: 12/5/15 at 01:42 PM

PattyO'Furniture Profile Photo
PattyO'Furniture
#1678THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 2:23pm

Fascinating tidbits, best12 & Theater thanks!

musicaljen Profile Photo
musicaljen
#1679THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 2:36pm

I did not have time to watch yet. but how did it differ from the Orginal Broadway production and the movie?

musicaljen Profile Photo
musicaljen
#1680THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 2:39pm

Theater_Nerd said: "musicaltheatreman2 said: "In the past when NBC releases the DVD of their Live broadcast for purchase (SOM, PP) is it the actual live production that aired on tv with all of the camera mistakes, sound issues and any other mishaps that happen during the live broadcast, or do they release a cleaned up filming of the production that is different from what aired on tv?  Thanks "

I own both Peter Pan and The Sound of Music. Both are great and I think they are both shot during rehearsal, not the actual broadcast. Ok during Peter Pan you can see the wires, but that is as far as it goes. I am planning to get the Wiz too.

"

Theater_Nerd
#1681THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 2:48pm

I am watching it again On Demand and so far I have had to re-wind Stephanie Mills' off-the-charts rendition of "The Feeling We Once Had" about 3 times only to re-watch the entire Munchkinland sequence about 5. Amber Riley was just sooo good as "Addaperle" and her take on "He's The Wizard" was goosebump inducing! 

I have to say the ensemble picked to play the munchkins were so good as well, especially the cutie who looked like a mop top rag doll. She is simply adorable and I cannot take my eyes off of her. She's the one in front in yellow on the right in this picture:

Theater_Nerd
#1682THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 2:54pm

Thank you musicaljen for that information re: the DVD releases of these "LIVE!" telecasts. I am happy to know that the released versions of these shows are actually filmed and not the actual "LIVE!" broadcast because as much as I love "The Wiz: Live" I was not a big fan of the camera work. I hope the version on the DVD does this particular production justice because it is truly one of the best things I have seen on television this year!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#1683THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 2:58pm

That's Tamika Sonja Lawrence, front left, from "If/Then".

Just give the world Love.

Theater_Nerd
#1684THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 2:59pm

Thank you so much uncageg. Do you know who the cutie is on the right?

Updated On: 12/5/15 at 02:59 PM

RW3
#1685THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 3:12pm

I'm not going to lie, but "We Got It" is growing on me.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#1686THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 3:16pm

re: "He's The Wiz" "holy crap does the song just completely suck on the obc."

Strongly disagree. It wasn't done as a belt your face off number but it's still great.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

musicaljen Profile Photo
musicaljen
#1687THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 3:24pm

Theater_Nerd said: "Thank you musicaljen for that information re: the DVD releases of these "LIVE!" telecasts. I am happy to know that the released versions of these shows are actually filmed and not the actual "LIVE!" broadcast because as much as I love "The Wiz: Live" I was not a big fan of the camera work. I hope the version on the DVD does this particular production justice because it is truly one of the best things I have seen on television this year!

The Sound of Music and Peter Pan were fixed and shots were different from the actual broadcast. I am not sure what they will do with The Wiz.

"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1688THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 6:52pm

I was very impressed with the ensemble who played Munchkins, then had to dance their asses of as poppies, Emerald City citizens, Winkie slaves, and Winged Warriors. Their line readings were good (and funny), their singing was great in solo lines, and they could all dance. Real triple threat chorus, and my hat is off to them.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1689THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 6:54pm

Oh, they also played the Kalidahs, which looked to me like a forest full of Macavitys from "Cats."

This is how Denslow illustrated them in the book ...

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 12/5/15 at 06:54 PM

teddy1996
#1690THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 9:19pm

I absolutely enjoyed the emerald city ballet and the poppies dance. That was fantastic. The choreography for the emerald city ballet was amazing. The poppy dance was fantastic as well. I loved the music for it too. I wish the emerald city ballet was at least 2 minutes longer tho. But i still enjoyed it. I was getting my life in the living room lol

Showface
#1691THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 9:24pm

best12bars said: "Oh, they also played the Kalidahs, which looked to me like a forest full of Macavitys from "Cats."

This is how Denslow illustrated them in the book ...

"

Ohh...are they the inspiration for the whole "lions and tigers and bears" thing? 

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#1692THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/5/15 at 9:27pm

I loved the show but the only thing i detested ( probably in the minority) is the emerald city "ballet" dance. I'm not a fan of vogue and I had absolute no idea what was going on when I saw the dance. I didn't get the vogue reference until someone pointed it out on these boards. I much prefer the choreographed sequences from the film.

I guess it's just because they really hype up the emerald city and it's suppose to be this glorious place and all I saw was 12 dancers doing weird motions with their hands while moving to techno music. Was just sort of a let down.

Updated On: 12/5/15 at 09:27 PM

musicaltheatreman2
#1693THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/6/15 at 12:19am

Hamilton - the vogueing in the emerald city ballet was reference to black culture made popular in the late 80's early 90's and is still used today which was a perfect modern reference for this new production. You should watch the documentary  Paris is Burning and will get it. 

Updated On: 12/6/15 at 12:19 AM

#1694THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/6/15 at 12:22am

I liked the more urban take on the show as well. The live version was very glossed over. I would have liked to see more African dancing, or cotton club style dancing. Or break dancing.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#1695THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/6/15 at 12:40am

I wasn't as impressed with the Emerald City Ballet either, the coreo was fine but they stripped most of the music away. I never expected them to use the '75 arrangement but they could have tried a little harder to adapt it.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#1696THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/6/15 at 12:44am

Wait Teddy never voiced his opinion?? He really was nothing but a shill.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#1697THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/6/15 at 12:46am

SNL just did a (non-funny) spoof.  Their costumes were on point though!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#1698THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/6/15 at 1:00am

I think that SNL skit was meant to address some of the things being said on social media and comment on the broadcast more than be laugh out loud funny.  I liked it. And yes, the costumes looked exactly like what they wore Thurs. Almost as if they went and grabbed the real ones.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 12/6/15 at 01:00 AM

daisybeetle Profile Photo
daisybeetle
#1699THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 12/6/15 at 1:10am

I have  slight obsession now with the Emerald City ballet. I think I've watched it about 10 times ( its not very long),  concentrating on a different dancer each time. They're all doing these special movements I find mesmerizing, and they all look cool doing it  too, especially the women. 

Ah well, to each her own huh?

Videos