News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread- Page 26

The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#625The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 11:40pm

Weird night of typical inside jokes for Broadway folks, all of which were pretty funny imo, but also really trying hard to appeal to the mainstream. Plenty of hits and misses in that respect.

Was not into the Memphis number during the show or post BM win.

AndAllThatJazz22
#626The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 11:41pm

The lackluster Tony Awards were only a reflection of the 2009-2010 season.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#627The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 11:47pm

anyone know why The Addams Family didn't perform?? yet Promises, Promises; Come Fly Away & Everyday Rapture all performed something??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#628The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 11:48pm

Late to the party but...

Not a fan of Sean Hayes, but he was charming and funny and all-around great company.

Clearly a great night to be either a celebrity or a Brit (in that order).

Was disappointed by Zeta-Jones' "Send In The Clowns"...fussy and druggy, if I may say so.

Lea Michelle singing "Don't Rain On My Parade" as if she's singing "And Eve Was Weak"...interesting new take!

MEMPHIS...oh Jesus don't get me started.

Do you think RED would have been such a critical/Tony voter darling had it gone through the U.S. regional workout (say, Seattle, then La Jolla, then Chicago, then Broadway) rather than getting the--bow your head--Donmar approval beforehand? Before you answer, think of CIDER HOUSE RULES, THE KENTUCKY CYCLE, ANNA IN THE TROPICS just to name a few.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

morethan just malice Profile Photo
morethan just malice
#629The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 11:52pm

I so agree about the lackluster, over-the-top, pointless, wrong, and even disgusting performances and shows of the Tony's and this year's winners. Somebody earlier on these boards said that the lyrics of The Addams Family weren't good. Please! They are adorable, interesting, and keep you waiting and surprised, unlike the hackneyed Na Na Na Na Na of Memphis and the boring mimic of old performers from the 50s (can anyone say, Jersey Boys!). Ugh. I'm glad Nathan and Bebe shined, but of course they would because they are the "real deal" not that miscast, can't-act, strange performance from Catherine Z. J. Ugh.

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#630The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 11:53pm

"Lea Michelle singing "Don't Rain On My Parade" as if she's singing "And Eve Was Weak"...interesting new take!"

I liked her rendition but that made me lol.

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#631The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 11:55pm

jan maxwell was robbed.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#632The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/10 at 11:59pm

but of course they would because they are the "real deal" not that miscast, can't-act, strange performance from Catherine Z. J. Ugh

You mean Montego Glover, right?

Catherine Zeta-Jones is an Oscar and now Tony winning actress. Saying she can't act is ridiculous. Sure she had an awkward performance tonight, but I think the producers are more to blame for not including Hanson and for truncating the song.
Updated On: 6/14/10 at 11:59 PM

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#633The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/10 at 12:00am

Very glad I decided to DVR The Tony's, watch True Blood instead, and then fast fwd thru that mess.

rmusic11322
#634The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/10 at 12:00am

Goodbye Mysterious Lady Voice. We'll hear you next year.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#635The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/10 at 12:07am

Promises and Come Fly Away were both nominated for Best Choreography, so why not see it?

Rapture also got a few noms.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

malletgirl02
#636The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/10 at 12:08am

Did anyone think the song the cast of Memphis performed sounded like the "Greatest Love of All" song?

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#637The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/10 at 12:20am

I have nothing new to add, I'm sure. Nor do I feel like scanning this whole thread. But I have only two thoughts:

1) Sean Hayes's penis in the Spiderman costume.
2) WTF Tony Awards. WTF.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#638The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/10 at 12:22am

If it wasn't for the people I was with, I would have probably royally hated this year's TONYS but I had a good time.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

othell Profile Photo
othell
#639The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/10 at 12:32am

Does CBS own a piece of PROMISES, PROMISES? They are sure featuring Kristin and the show sign and poster at every chance they get. I honestly did not enjoy this as much as last year; I just think Sean Hayes was trying too hard. To me it mostly just fell kind of flat. I really enjoyed the bit where Nathan and Bebe were presenting-- probably better banter than featured in the show they are currently in, and definitely much funnier than anything I had seen all evening. Unfortunately, I have seen better Tony Award shows and performances. Plus, I was disappointed that Jan Maxwell lost to Scarlett-- Jan deserved to win something tonight.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#640The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/10 at 12:38am

1) Sean Hayes's penis in the Spiderman costume.

Spiderman? What about the Billy Elliot tights?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#641The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/10 at 12:39am

That was a dance belt. This was full on man penis. Like... I could pick it out in a lineup after that.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#642The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/10 at 12:43am

You're blaming the producers for making her sing one of Sondheim's rare songs to achieve standalone status all over the world?

It's been sung "out of context" to enormous success by Frank Sinatra, Judy Collins, Barbara Cook, Barbra Streisand, Shirley Bassey and every two-bit cabaret singer everywhere.

She's a star. It's a hit song. Choosing it was an easy call.

Trouble is: Miss Zeta Jones doesn't have a clue about the song and sings it badly.

Just watch the video.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#643The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/10 at 1:07am

"Did anyone think the song the cast of Memphis performed sounded like the "Greatest Love of All" song?"

The melody, to me, sounded like it was plagiarized from IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND, which was used in STUDIO 54 by Amber, Ultra Nate and Jocelyn Enriquez and was originally (I believe) sung by Gordon Lightfoot. And the NA NA's drove me insane. If they were going to borrow someone's melody, couldn't MEMPHIS at least supply some original lyrics?

And whoever handled last year and this year's audio equipment for the TONY Telecast needs to be replaced/terminated ASAP.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#644The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/10 at 2:04am

I knew Lansbury wouldnt win sadly so I didnt mind most of the winners. I was bothered that Denzel didnt bother to know who was giving him this most prestigious award. The performances were kinda sub par for me. Im thrilled CZJ won but will say out of context that number doesnt work and was terrible. I enjoyed American Idiot quite a bit and enjoyed the dancing for Memphis though the show still holds little intrest for me. Fela was the weirdest thing I've ever seen and several jokes were made about it at the Tony party I was at. Those are my thoughts on this year. Lackluster to say the least, hopefully next season will be better.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

eatlasagna
#645The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/10 at 2:05am

who was that guy speaking for Memphis... he was pretty damn annoying...

and Lea Michele was pretty good... but I thought she was trying too hard to get the attention of Will Smith and Beyonce

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#646The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/10 at 2:18am

Tonight's broadcast was a complete and utter disaster. The sound was awful, the camera work was atrocious and it was embarrassing to watch so many people make so many mistakes. What was the rehearsal for? It makes me glad that the show always gets such low ratings because if this was any one's first exposure to Broadway it was certainly not the best example of the professionalism usually on display in a Broadway theatre. The American Theatre Wing needs to take a huge step back and stop focusing on the impossible task of increasing the television ratings for an awards show with little appeal to mainstream America, and instead focus on producing a quality broadcast that is more reflective of the majority of their other media projects produced year-round.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#647The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/10 at 4:25am

"and Lea Michele was pretty good... but I thought she was trying too hard to get the attention of Will Smith and Beyonce"

I thought Lea Michele was adequate. I've heard at least two other women who can easily outsing Michele's version of DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE. And it was a little irritating for her to stand in front Jay-Z and Beyonce as if she were asking them to sign her on to a record deal then and there.

Man, if ALL SHOOK UP were new this season, then I guess it would have done really well at the Tonys! What does that say about the state of last season's shows?

And I wanted Barbara Cook to win. Oh well...

I liked Sean Hayes and his bit with Kristin Chenoweth, which was basically a big FU to Newsweek and to Ramin Setoodeh. Good for him. Best sight gag was Hayes in that Spider-Man costume singing a muffled DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE!

broadwayjim42
#648The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/10 at 7:20am

Best things were Sean as host (liked him a hell of a lot better than NPH, who came off as very full of himself last year) and Christiane Noll and "Ragtime." "Ragtime" was my favorite theatrical experience of the past year and to see it come off so well, however briefly, made me very happy.

Everything else...meh. The point of the broadcast is to make you want to see the shows being showcased and I still have absolutely no desire to see "Memphis," "Fela" and, to a lesser extent "La Cage."

And I still think David Hyde-Pierce looked unwell. More gaunt and fragile than usual.

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#649The Official 2010 Tony Awards Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/10 at 12:04pm

"You're blaming the producers for making her sing one of Sondheim's rare songs to achieve standalone status all over the world?

It's been sung "out of context" to enormous success by Frank Sinatra, Judy Collins, Barbara Cook, Barbra Streisand, Shirley Bassey and every two-bit cabaret singer everywhere.

She's a star. It's a hit song. Choosing it was an easy call.

Trouble is: Miss Zeta Jones doesn't have a clue about the song and sings it badly.

Just watch the video."

Although we have similar disdain for CZJ, she apparently sings it this way in the show nightly, so I would have to say the director of ALNM has something to do with it. She is directed to do it a certain way and I suspect is also performing the way she is told.

ljay -
she may have won the Oscar and yes was a very adequate Velma Kelly, but I don't think she deserved the Oscar either. She has both now,yes, but many many people feel both were not deserved. Her husband campaigned like heck for that oscar, and who knows why they voted for her for the Tony. When I saw her family there in the front i think i knew in my heart she was going to win. It is just my opinion.

"it's a dirty little war"

Videos