News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions- Page 28

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#675Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 3:42pm

I really cannot imagine Sunset Blvd winning Best Revival given its generally lukewarm reception from both critics and audience aside from Glenn Close. Dolly is a stronger production all around.

Close is reprising a role she was already awarded for- it makes no sense to award the production for it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/26/17 at 03:42 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#676Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 3:50pm

Outside of a Best Revival nomination, I don't think it would be that surprising to see Sunset Boulevard otherwise shut out in such a crowded year. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#677Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 3:53pm

wonderfulwizard11 said: "Outside of a Best Revival nomination, I don't think it would be that surprising to see Sunset Boulevard otherwise shut out in such a crowded year. "

It could receive a Best Orchestrations nod if eligible- in fact, I would consider that a pretty big snub if it didn't, considering its orchestra was the second reason it was produced.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#678Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 3:56pm

Kad said: "wonderfulwizard11 said: "Outside of a Best Revival nomination, I don't think it would be that surprising to see Sunset Boulevard otherwise shut out in such a crowded year. "It could receive a Best Orchestrations nod if eligible- in fact, I would consider that a pretty big snub if it didn't, considering its orchestra was the second reason it was produced."

It was indeed deemed eligible at the committee meeting about the show, so I assume it'll get nominated. The orchestra was one of the best parts of that show.  

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#679Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 3:59pm

Ah, hadn't thought about that- fair point, and I'd agree. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

bear88
#680Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 4:10pm

elephantseye said: "Brittain Ashford is almost certainly going to divide Tony voters-- she has an unconventional style that is very polarizing.

I agree with this. I thought Ashford's performance of 'Sonya Alone' was one of the best things in Great Comet. My wife found her voice a bit annoying. My guess is that Gray, who's very good, will emerge as the only Best Featured Actress nominee from the show, even though I would love for Ashford to get a nomination.

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#681Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 8:03pm

Please forgive me if this is totally impossible (I do admit I'm less well-versed in straight plays than musicals, so I apologize if this is a completely ludicrous suggestion) -- but is there any chance of one of The Play That Goes Wrong's male performers picking up a featured actor nom? From what I've seen all the current predictions are actors in dramatic roles, and – at least as far as I've seen – they usually like to nominate at least one comedic performer in each acting category. The reviews for TPTGW singled Dave Hearn out a lot; I recall at least two or three outlets likening him to John Cleese circa his Monty Python days, and after seeing the show I'd say his performance was rather brilliant, and I'd love to see one of the actors from the show get recognized. Again, I'm a total dud when it comes to the straight plays so this could sound ridiculous, but I was just curious to peoples' opinions on his chances? 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#682Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 8:06pm

I would LOVE if Dave Hearn got a nomination. He was a highlight of my theatregoing season!

Nycat63
#683Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 8:53pm

leighmiserables said: "Please forgive me if this is totally impossible (I do admit I'm less well-versed in straight plays than musicals, so I apologize if this is a completely ludicrous suggestion) -- but is there any chance of one of The Play That Goes Wrong's male performers picking up a featured actor nom? From what I've seen all the current predictions are actors in dramatic roles, and – at least as far as I've seen – they usually like to nominate at least one comedic performer in each acting category. The reviews for TPTGW singled Dave Hearn out a lot; I recall at least two or three outlets likening him to John Cleese circa his Monty Python days, and after seeing the show I'd say his performance was rather brilliant, and I'd love to see one of the actors from the show get recognized. Again, I'm a total dud when it comes to the straight plays so this could sound ridiculous, but I was just curious to peoples' opinions on his chances? 

Don't know the chances but I loved this show - Henry Shields is actually the one I would liken to Cleese (and I think some critics did as well).  If we are going with the Python theme (and I agree there were lots of pythonesque elements - which is why I loved it) Hearn is a bit more Michael Palin.  

Would love to see either get a nom!

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#684Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 9:52pm

Don't know the chances but I loved this show - Henry Shields is actually the one I would liken to Cleese (and I think some critics did as well).  If we are going with the Python theme (and I agree there were lots of pythonesque elements - which is why I loved it) Hearn is abit more Michael Palin.  

Would love to see either get a nom!

I think you're right with the MP assessment; I definitely got Cleese vibes from Henry moreso than Dave. I actually looked it up and it seems we're both correct--Deadline called Dave the Cleese, and Variety did so for Henry! 

I would definitely love to see either of them (or Henry Lewis, even!) get a nod. Just from reviews though, I'm feeling that Dave is the most likely. 

Guess we'll see! 

Updated On: 4/26/17 at 09:52 PM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#685Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 10:29pm

I really do think someone from TPTGW will be nominated for best featured actor, I just can't figure out who. Nobody was collectively singled out in reviews. I'd have to think it would be Henry Shields.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Nycat63
#686Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 10:49pm

little_sally said: "I really do think someone from TPTGW will be nominated for best featured actor, I just can't figure out who. Nobody was collectively singled out in reviews. I'd have to think it would be Henry Shields.

"I tend to agree though from what I did read critics did seem to single Hearn out a bit more.  While he was fabulous, I actually think Shields' straight man role is harder to pull off than the bumbling "yay look I'm on stage" character played by Hearn.  That said, in less capable hands, Hearn's character could have been overacted and grating yet he was brilliant and struck exactly the right balance.  But I still maintain the "straight man" is the tougher of the two to pull off  (and completely nail) comedically.  

MNC77
#687Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 2:39am

Could the fact that there are two essentially equal featured actresses for Great Comet actually hurt their chances? My understanding is that each member of the nominating committee casts their own votes, and the nominees are decided based on those votes. I could see a large group of the nominators wanting to nominate someone from Great Comet, but if some nominate Gray and some nominate Ashford they could both be left out.

With a lot of solid choices this season (Rachel Bay Jones, Stephanie J. Block, Jenn Colella, Kate Baldwin, Caroline O'Connor to name a few) I would be surprised if many of the nominators went the fun home route and nominated more than one of the two. Maybe I'm off, but I could see them both getting left out simply because they split votes

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#688Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 12:05pm

I think the Featured Actress in a Musical race will be very interesting. I've seen most of the women that people here seem to think will be nominated. I wanted to make a point about Jenn Colella and Come From Away. While her role is certainly proper for the featured category, she is undoubtedly the leader of the production and has been receiving much more attention and press coverage than a featured performer normally would. I know that articles don't mean Tony votes, but I think Jenn is really being put out there and promoted which is just an interesting layer to the race. Her expert portrayal of a real person, who happens to be active in promoting the show herself, definitely makes for a compelling human interest story.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#689Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 12:21pm

There's also a lot of industry affection toward Colella, who is a real trouper who has yet to have a hit after years and years of consistently great work.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#690Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 12:29pm

A win for Colella would also be a way to award COME FROM AWAY, which doesn't look like it'll pick up anything else.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Kimbo
#691Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 12:29pm

Kad said: "There's also a lot of industry affection toward Colella, who is a real trouper who has yet to have a hit after years and years of consistently great work.

Of course the same would also be said in many quarters about Kate Baldwin, Stephanie J Block, and Mary Beth Peil.  Which, of course, wouldn't necessarily stop a Rachel Bay Jones from winning. (In fact I too wouldn't be surprised if the Great Comet women split the nominating vote, and those 5 I just listed were the nominees.)

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#692Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 1:13pm

I seriously hope Peil doesn't get nominated over the incredible Great Comet women - particularly Amber Grey. I found Peil to be insufferably melodramatic when I saw the show in Hartford. Hopefully she's toned it down a bit since then, but I doubt it. I've enjoyed her in other roles in the past, but here I just felt like she was chewing the scenery. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#693Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 1:29pm

JBroadway said: "I seriously hope Peil doesn't get nominated over the incredible Great Comet women - particularly Amber Grey. I found Peil to be insufferably melodramatic when I saw the show in Hartford. Hopefully she's toned it down a bit since then, but I doubt it. I've enjoyed her in other roles in the past, but here I just felt like she was chewing the scenery. 

"

I believe that just may happen as the theatrical community adore her!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#694Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 1:31pm

Peil also seemed to be well-received for her performance.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#695Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 2:03pm

Kad said: "Peil also seemed to be well-received for her performance.

"Kad, that is certainly true!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#696Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 2:06pm

CHOREOGRAPHY

Andy Blankenbuehler - Bandstand

Warren Carlyle - Hello, Dolly

Peter Darling - Groundhog Day

Kelly Devine - Come From Away

Denis Jones - Holiday Inn

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#697Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 2:23pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Robbie2 said: "RJ14 said: "Since I love Hello, Dolly! soooo much I want it to be nominated in every category as possible: Best revival, Best Actress, Best Actor, Best Featured Actor, Best Direction, Best Choreography, Best Costume, Best Scenic Design, Best Lighting Design, Best Orchestrations. 

which comes to 11 noms, same amount of noms as the original production!!!!. Oh how I wish the score could be nominated again since it's the best score playing on Broadway right now anyway

"That's 10 Nominations...I believe it will receive that!"
"

It could end up receiving 11 nominations if Kate Baldwin gets in for Featured Actress.

"Jeffrey, that just may happen now (DOLLY 11 Nominations) as Kate Baldwin received glowing notices

Trish2
#698Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 3:10pm

Robbie2 said: "CHOREOGRAPHY

Andy Blankenbuehler - Bandstand

Warren Carlyle - Hello, Dolly

Peter Darling - Groundhog Day

Kelly Devine - Come From Away

Denis Jones - Holiday Inn

How does Carlyle get "rewarded" for recreating 90% of Gower Champion's work?

"

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#699Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/27/17 at 3:30pm

Daddy Warbucks said: "I finally got around to seeing Sunset Blvd and I was blown away!  I think this is the sleeper pick for Best Revival of a Musical - especially since Glen won't be up for Best Actress. 

"Daddy, No way...it's all about DOLLY this year!  Have you seen HD?

Videos