News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!

rocker05
#0Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 12:46am

I know this has been posted in previous threads, but i just thought i'd mention that Laura and Amy were both out tonight, but their understudies did great. I actually wanted to see Tina in the role of Julia and she did a good job, but she still needs to get herself a little more acquainted with the role. She was way too innocent, but she fits the role really well. Cara Cooper was great as Holly, but I really wanted to see Amy Spanger, it was a little disappointing. Stephen Lynch and Felicia Finley were great as always, and tonight Kevin Cahoon stole the show. The show's book is pretty flawed and most of the jokes ended up falling flat, but the score kept the show on it's feet. I know all of you have heard this many times before, but I thought I'd just write a review mainly because this must have been Tina's 2nd or 3rd time at playing Julia. Overall, it's a fun night out at the theatre.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#1re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 12:49am

I want to see Cara and Tina so bad!!!

rocker05
#2re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 12:54am

I was thrilled to see Tina play Julia! I saw her in Mamma Mia three years ago and she has such a great presence. Her portrayal was very different than Laura's. She had the right amount of innocence Julia was supposed to have, well, maybe a bit too much. She really did fit the role, it's a shame it's not hers, she and Stephen had great chemistry during their romantic scenes.

Up In Lost
#3re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 1:07am

I saw the matinee and they were both out then, too. I thought the show was a lot of fun, I felt a little all over the place at times, but I liked how you were sort of a part of the weddings in a way. Very fun, liked it a lot!

Well, I'm glad he got away with it.

jimnysf
#4re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 2:32am

Not for nothing but isn't it kind of early in the show's run to have multiple cast memners out at the same time? If Harvey were in the show, he would never stand for it!

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#5re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 3:04am

rocker, Im sorry about Amy not being in the show, you should go back to see it, just to see her, she is amazing! how was her understudy?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#6re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 3:17am

Amy sounded sick when I ushered Friday... she was raspy and cracked badly on the last note of her song in Act 2. She probably took the day to rest, very wisely.

iluvtheatertrash
#7re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 3:55am

jimmy, Amy and Laura have come down with an incredibly awful bug that's been circulating around the cast. Kevin was sick last week, he said. And one of the ensemble members I believe was sick earlier today and made it into the evening show (I think).

Give them a break. People can't help sickness.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
Updated On: 5/28/06 at 03:55 AM

jimnysf
#8re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 4:00am

I was just asking. That's all. I know people can get sick. I have a 3 day weekend and I am home sick as well.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#9re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 11:11am

re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!

Who else saw the girl with golden hair?

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 5/28/06 at 11:11 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#10re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 11:16am

I saw Tina go on. Tina and Laura's takes on the role are vastly different and both wonderful. Tina's a lot more like Drew - Laura creates her own persona: both personalities lively and wonderful. Tina has a lot more chemistry with Richard's character - Glen - and Laura doesn't. Which definately is an obvious acting choice to show how wrong for Julia Glen is.

*shrug* I loved both performances.

rocker05
#11re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 11:19am

Cara does a great job as Holly, she plays it a bit different than Amy, but she does a really great job at it, especially in "Right In Front Of Your Eyes". The one problem I have with the show is the change with Julia's first number. "Someday" in my opinion is awful. Maybe it was the way Tina sang it, but I really miss "Right On Time". It was a great experience to see Tina and Cara play Julia and Holly, it was a nice departure.

iluvtheatertrash
#12re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 12:11pm

'Someday' isn't nearly as good as 'Right on Time' but it works better dramatically. You'll fall more in love with the new song when Laura sings it. Remember - Tina's only done it three times now, Laura's been doing it for over a month.

Updated On: 5/28/06 at 12:11 PM

muscle23ftl
#13re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 12:30pm

"'Someday' isn't nearly as good as 'Right on Time' but it works better dramatically. You'll fall more in love with the new song when Laura sings it. Remember - Cara's only done it three times now, Laura's been doing it for over a month".
Trash: you mean Tina?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

PottstownTeacher
#14re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 12:30pm

It's amazing how much changes in 3 days. I saw the show Wednesday evening on the 24th and everyone was in. There was no sign up in the lobby, no inserts, no announcement. The entire cast was in. I thought the show was a hell of a lot of fun. And I said to my buddy sitting next to me ... "OK, there are me and my friends 20 years ago!" I know Laura has gotten a lot of flack for her performance, but I just thought she was super! And I didn't know she could belt! Amy Spanger was hilarious and adorable! Great theatre? NO! But certainly a hell of a lot of fun! I hope everyone is healthy again soon and back to work!

fishergirl819 Profile Photo
fishergirl819
#15re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 12:35pm

"Remember - Cara's only done it three times now, Laura's been doing it for over a month. "

Actually, Cara's done the role 12 times. I believe you mean Tina. re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!

I had the pleasure of seeing Tina go on as Julia yesterday afternoon. When I saw the understudy board, I squealed with happiness. I've been of the opinion from day one that Tina would be the perfect Julia, and I was ecstatic that I'd get to see her, finally.

She was a bit rough, as this was only her second time playing the role as it is now (I believe she went on a few times in Seattle), but she was absolutely wonderful. I do love Laura (she's grown on me immensely), but I just sat there thinking, "now, THAT is Julia Sullivan."

This was my second time seeing Cara as Holly, and she's definitely enjoyable. I actually think I prefer her "Right In Front of Your Eyes" to Amy's, shockingly. However, that final note in Saturday Night in the City...she just can't hit it at all. But, eh, it's only one note. Overall I prefer Amy, but Cara is a great substitute if you don't get the chance to see Amy.

Also, there was a very, very strange part of the show that completely threw me for a loop - Angelique Ilo was on for J.Elaine Marcos, the ensemble member who usually does the Amelda Marcos (totally spelled that wrong) impersonator at the end. During the chapel scene, she wasn't onstage. I kept thinking, "how the hell are they going to do the Amelda Marcos line??" And then, when Nancy Regan runs in to play the organ, instead, Joanne Manning (who was covering Cara Cooper, and should've been Nancy Regan) ran in...dressed as Amelda Marcos. And Fake President Regan said "Ooh, our final witness has arrived. We can begin." And therefore, there was no Nancy Regan in that scene. It was very, very odd. I mean, I guess Angelique Ilo just couldn't do an Amelda Marcos impersonation, so Joanne went on instead, but it just completely threw me for a loop.

On a side note, for those interested, the guy at the merch booth said that they expect to have the cast recording available for purchase in a few days, which would make it available at the theatre prior to the official release date.
Updated On: 5/28/06 at 12:35 PM

muscle23ftl
#16re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 12:46pm

Tnx for the info fisher.

iluvtheatertrash
#17re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 12:55pm

Yeah, I meant Tina. Sorry, I'm a little exhausted.

It was definately fun seeing some understudies go on, and I really did LOVE Cara's performance as Holly. She was so sassy and fierce in that role.

But now it's time to get back to Amy and Laura. I missed them, no matter how amazing Tina and Cara were.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#18re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 9:07pm

Was Tina on at today's matinee?

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

muscle23ftl
#19re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 9:25pm

Phantom, you need to see Tina in this show immediatly! go to the theatre every night and check the board. You are going to fall in love with her, and her golden hair. She was so nice at the stage door.

Updated On: 5/28/06 at 09:25 PM

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#20re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 9:36pm

I have already fallen in love with her and her golden hair. re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!

Updated On: 5/28/06 at 09:36 PM

muscle23ftl
#21re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 9:57pm

I know! LOL!!! you're so funny.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#22re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 10:00pm

She's really awesome and really funny and very married. re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#23re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/28/06 at 10:54pm

I hope Laura and Amy are back for next Sunday.

Rachel2789 Profile Photo
Rachel2789
#24re: Wedding Singer 5/27 Review!
Posted: 5/29/06 at 12:38am

Just curious...who is Stephen Lynch's u/s?

Videos