News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

What’s Next for the St. James?- Page 3

What’s Next for the St. James?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#50What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/16/24 at 8:45am

How about this scenario:

Illinoise to the St James

Sunset to the Majestic

Stranger Things to the St James after Illinoise (presuming Illinoise becomes a hit on Broadway)

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#51What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/16/24 at 8:56am

Similar shows like Movin’ Out have been considered musicals for the purpose of awards. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#52What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/16/24 at 9:16am

It's actually quite a large footprint for a show. The band alone would take up half of most Bway stages. My guess is 54 wasn't big enough.

And they did sell out their run at the Armory, so possible producers think they have a shot at selling at least most of the St James. (Though I wonder if they use both balconies.)

As for the Tonys, there's still time for a breakout critical or commercial hit. But so far, it does indeed look to be an open field.

BETTY22
#53What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/16/24 at 9:42am

Illinoise to the St James for 10 weeks

Sunset opening at St James in October 

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#54What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/16/24 at 6:45pm

Spam closes April 7th and the cutoff date for TONY eligibility is April 25th.  That’s a crazy tight turnaround.  I don’t see how they would get this open in time.  

chrishuyen
#55What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/16/24 at 7:06pm

Also if we take into account that two shows can't have the same opening night, the latest they could schedule opening is April 16 unless they do a matinee on one of the other dates. The Broadway Journal piece did say they'd essentially be doing it with no previews so I guess it could work, but still fairly tight. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#56What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/16/24 at 7:10pm

Not true, two shows are opening on April 22 and April 25. 

Seaview is one of the lead producers on Illinoise, and they also rushed Sidney Brustein’s Window to Broadway last season, playing only three previews. If there’s anyone I trust for a quick turnaround, it’s them. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 3/16/24 at 07:10 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#57What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/16/24 at 9:25pm

yyys said: "Think the question right now is will the Tony's even consider it as a musical. There is a only a band playing with singers. None of the dancers sing or talk. At the very least it might win Best Choreography.

inception said: "What happens if it were to win Best Musical?Wouldn't they want to be in a theatre where they could extend if sales were good, and not in one where producers of the next show would be breathing down their necks?"

"

See Contact, Movin' Out.

Does make you wonder if it becomes a hit and wins some Tony Awards, where they'll move the show.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#58What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/17/24 at 9:08am

If it’s coming, when are they announcing?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#59What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/17/24 at 9:50am

DramaTeach said: "If it’s coming, when are they announcing?"

probably next Tuesday when it closes at the Armory.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 3/17/24 at 09:50 AM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#60What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/17/24 at 9:53am

Announcement tomorrow, apparently.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#61What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/17/24 at 1:49pm

It’s a tight turnaround for sure but definitely feasible. Load out of Spamalot and load in of Illinoise the week of April 8 (during which time I’m sure they will be rehearsing to make any staging adjustments for the new space), tech the week of April 14, performances and opening the week of April 21. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

kurtal
#62What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/17/24 at 2:47pm

To respond to an earlier message, different shows are allowed to open on the same date, just not at the same performance time.  So Illinoise could schedule a matinee as their opening.  Here's the current schedule of openings for the eight days leading up to the Tonys deadline:

April 17: The Wiz
April 18: Suffs
April 19: Stereophonic
April 20: Hell's Kitchen
April 21: Cabaret
April 22: The Heart of Rock and Roll & Patriots
April 23: Mary Jane
April 24: Uncle Vanya
April 25: The Great Gatsby & Mother Play

I'm guessing a matinee on 4/21 or 4/24 is the likeliest target opening.  

JSquared2
#63What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/17/24 at 2:51pm

Famebroadway2 said: "Spam closes April 7th and the cutoff date for TONY eligibility is April 25th. That’s a crazy tight turnaround. I don’t see how they would get this open in time."

The SPAMALOT set is built for touring -- it'll be a 2-day load out.

wcoyote
#64What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/17/24 at 3:18pm

JSquared2 said: "Famebroadway2 said: "Spam closes April 7th and the cutoff date for TONY eligibility is April 25th. That’s a crazy tight turnaround. I don’t see how they would get this open in time."

The SPAMALOT set is built for touring -- it'll be a 2-day load out.
"

5 days with restoration. Illinoise loads in April 15th.

Videos