News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?- Page 2

What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?

BETTY22
#25What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/13/23 at 4:00pm

"Boop" has Imperial after Water for Elephants 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#26What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/13/23 at 4:04pm

Are they expecting Water for Elephants to close that quickly?

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

OhHiii
#27What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/13/23 at 4:06pm

BETTY22 said: ""Boop" has Imperial after Water for Elephants"

This is not true.

OhHiii
#28What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/13/23 at 4:07pm

Voter said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Announcement coming after their Chicago engagement or after the holidays (January 2 or beyond)"

Nor is this.

Sammy232
#29What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/13/23 at 5:34pm

OhHiii said: "BETTY22 said: ""Boop" has Imperial after Water for Elephants"

This is not true.
"

From a friend who worked at HLL, Boop was supposed to come in this season to the Broadway, but has pushed off to next season (still at the Broadway) with Great Gatsby (Papermill version) potentially coming in the interim.

BoringBoredBoard40
#30What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/13/23 at 5:36pm

Sammy232 said: "OhHiii said: "BETTY22 said: ""Boop" has Imperial after Water for Elephants"

This is not true.
"

From a friend who worked at HLL, Boop was supposed to come in this season to the Broadway, but has pushed off to next season (still at the Broadway) with Great Gatsby (Papermill version) potentially coming in the interim.
"

this is also not true. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#31What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/13/23 at 5:52pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "Please no! Let Nicole come over with Sunset first! Plain and simple!"

people really need to accept that Sunset is not coming this season for a variety of reasons including it would be a THIRD revival by the same lead producers in the same season which would make zero sense for them financially, with regards to awards season ect...
"

Well then maybe open in the summer. The hype for this production is real and producers wanna fast track it to Broadway. In my opinion, waiting till next fall would be a mistake. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

OhHiii
#32What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/13/23 at 5:58pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said:: "people really need to accept that Sunset is not coming this season for a variety of reasons including it would be a THIRD revival by the same lead producers in the same season which would make zero sense for them financially, with regards to awards season ect..."

Again, as has been clarified MANY times across several threads, ATG is not a lead producer on Merrily. Stop saying things that are demonstrably false simply by looking at the Playbill billing page. They are only the theater owner.

Updated On: 12/13/23 at 05:58 PM

BoringBoredBoard40
#33What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/13/23 at 6:05pm

OhHiii said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said:: "people really need to accept that Sunset is not coming this season for a variety of reasons including it would be a THIRD revival by the same lead producers in the same season which would make zero sense for them financially, with regards to awards season ect..."

Again, as has been clarified MANY times across several threads, ATG isnota lead producer onMerrily. Stop saying things that are demonstrably false simply by looking at the Playbill billing page. They are only the theater owner.

still doesn't defeat my point why would ATG bring Cabaret in which they think could win revival just to undercut their chances with another one of their shows? At this point Sunset is either going into the James or the Shubert of The Broadway or the Belasco or the moon, just because people say it over and over doesn't make it true

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#34What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/13/23 at 6:27pm

Prolific lead producers have multiple shows in the same season all the time. Kevin McCollum has NOTEBOOK and DAYS OF WINE & ROSES this season. Fryer & Carr had the original MAME and SWEET CHARITY in the same season! It's occurred regularly with Sonia Friedman, Scott Rudin, Jeffrey Richards, David Merrick, Alex Cohen, and numerous others.

You go when schedules, money, and theatres align. A show does not go to Broadway just to win a Tony Award. That can help, but nobody should be relying solely on the Tonys to move sales.

Yes, they're risky shows, but they're not appealing to the exact same people. MERRILY and GUTENBERG's successes are not causing HARMONY and OHIO's failures, for example.

Updated On: 12/13/23 at 06:27 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#35What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/13/23 at 6:56pm

BETTY22 said: ""Boop" has Imperial after Water for Elephants"

100% FALSE

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#36What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/13/23 at 7:08pm

OhHiii said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said:: "people really need to accept that Sunset is not coming this season for a variety of reasons including it would be a THIRD revival by the same lead producers in the same season which would make zero sense for them financially, with regards to awards season ect..."

Again, as has been clarified MANY times across several threads, ATG isnota lead producer onMerrily. Stop saying things that are demonstrably false simply by looking at the Playbill billing page. They are only the theater owner.
"

Jumping in to point out that GUTENBERG is also a musical revival lead-produced by ATG.

As I and others have said elsewhere in the thread, the number of shows an entity is lead-producing each season is largely irrelevant. ATG's ownership of both Sonia Friedman Productions and the Hudson is obviously incentive for MERRILY to do well, but the Tonys will have little if any impact on its sales and future life.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#37What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/13/23 at 11:06pm

I was at an industry holiday party tonight with agents, press people, investors etc. and Sunset and Boop are NOT coming in this season. So everyone can stop discussing and speculating and the Majestic will NOT be ready available until fall '24! 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#38What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/13/23 at 11:24pm

Those industry friends of yours also told you that Boop was going into the Shubert. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#39What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/13/23 at 11:31pm

What's your point dude as Boop was planning this season 3 months ago and the Shubert was being considered and or set but Hell's Kitchen has the Shuber now. That's all that matters. Not sure what your point is. Just sharing news from this evening. nite nite

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Voter
#40What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/13/23 at 11:31pm

Robbie2 said: "I was at an industry holiday party tonight with agents, press people, investors etc. and Sunset and Boop are NOT coming in this season. So everyone can stop discussing and speculating and the Majestic will NOT be ready available until fall '24!"

So are Sunset Boulevard and Boop coming next season? Fall 24?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#41What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/14/23 at 5:07am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "BETTY22 said: "The transformation cost millions. Now producers will have to spend a fortune restoring it.

How much money did this show lose?
"

It had a $22 million capitalization. But I assume someone threw in some extra funds to keep it going

Closing Costs are built into the capitalization for every show. For HLL, those costs just happen to be more than the average musical.
"

A few weeks ago I was talking with a Shubert employee who told me (and I can’t verify this, I was just told by him) that for HLL, The Shuberts changed the contract so that the cost of restoring the theater falls on whatever show comes in next, changing it from how usually is on the show that closes. If anyone can verify or even tell me they’d not true, I’d be very interested. 

OMG U Guyz
#42What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/14/23 at 5:26am

jacobsnchz14 said: "Either Guys & Dolls or Paper Mill Playhouse's The Great Gatsby will probably transfer."

I thoughtt guys and dolls wanted a more flexible space? 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#43What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/14/23 at 12:47pm

All yall do is talk in circles on subjects you have zero knowledge in. 

JSquared2
#44What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/14/23 at 12:59pm

Jordan Catalano said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "BETTY22 said: "The transformation cost millions. Now producers will have to spend a fortune restoring it.

How much money did this show lose?
"

It had a $22 million capitalization. But I assume someone threw in some extra funds to keep it going

Closing Costs are built into the capitalization for every show. For HLL, those costs just happen to be more than the average musical.
"

A few weeks ago I was talking with a Shubert employee who told me (and I can’t verify this, I was just told by him) that for HLL, The Shuberts changed the contract so that the cost of restoring the theater falls on whatever show comes in next, changing it from how usually is on the show that closes. If anyone can verify or even tell me they’d not true, I’d be very interested.
"

False.

OhHiii
#45What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/14/23 at 1:10pm

Jordan Catalano said: "A few weeks ago I was talking with a Shubert employee who told me (and I can’t verify this, I was just told by him) that for HLL, The Shuberts changed the contract so that the cost of restoring the theater falls on whatever show comes in next, changing it from how usually is on the show that closes. If anyone can verify or even tell me they’d not true, I’d be very interested."

Well I guess we can add you to the list of folks whose industry friends know nothing of which they speak because this is actually absurd to even consider as fact. ANY rental contract for ANY broadway theatre requires upfront payment of restoration expenses. Every single time.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#46What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/14/23 at 1:38pm

I hae to admit, there is absolutely no logic to that agreement.   No one is going to want a theater if they have to clean up that last tenant's changes.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

OhHiii
#47What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/14/23 at 2:13pm

dramamama611 said: "I hae to admit, there is absolutely no logic to that agreement. No one is going to want a theater if they have to clean up that last tenant's changes."

I'm still getting over the fact that anyone would say these words out loud. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#48What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/14/23 at 2:52pm

OhHiii said: "Jordan Catalano said: "A few weeks ago I was talking with a Shubert employee who told me (and I can’t verify this, I was just told by him) that for HLL, The Shuberts changed the contract so that the cost of restoring the theater falls on whatever show comes in next, changing it from how usually is on the show that closes. If anyone can verify or even tell me they’d not true, I’d be very interested."

Well I guess we can add you to the list of folks whose industry friends know nothing of which they speak because this is actually absurd to even consider as fact. ANY rental contract for ANY broadway theatre requires upfront payment of restoration expenses. Every single time.
"

This was not a friend, just someone I know works for The Shuberts and was confused which is why I asked if anyone could confirm. I never quoted anything as a fact. You CLEARLY have a problem with me for some reason and I can’t control that but if you read what I actually wrote - it would have saved you some time in thinking I stated anything as a definitive fact.  

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#49What’s next for The Broadway Theatre?
Posted: 12/14/23 at 3:01pm

OhHiii, since you seem to know what goes on, do you have any idea what’s coming into the Broadway?

Videos