News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#100Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/23/07 at 8:08pm

They are in no way saying PQ will close anytime soon. In fact, the article states they may move the dates for YF if PQ is still running past Labor Day - that's in SEPTEMBER. So really I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. They are being business people and negotiating, and if they think the Hilton is an option than it's their perogative to wait and see what happens... but why make it seem like it's pushing PQ out?
Updated On: 4/23/07 at 08:08 PM

brianveen Profile Photo
brianveen
#101Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/23/07 at 8:09pm

"The Pirate Queen had an 8 million dollar advance!"

What percentage of that 8 mil were groups who will cancel a flop?

- Brian

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#102Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/23/07 at 8:12pm

"If Brooks wants the Hilton, he'll get the Hilton- simple as that. "

No, it's not that simple. Since when did Mel Brooks become the most powerful force on Broadway? We don't know what the exact agreement is that the Pirate Queen producers have with Live Nation, but I doubt that McColgan and Doherty said "Oh, we'll just run our little show here until you find something you like better, and then we'll get out of your way." I would venture to guess that a contract was signed, and that this contract specified a level of grosses below which the Hilton theater would have the right to evict PQ. If PQ's grosses are higher than that level, it doesn't matter the slightest bit what Mel wants.

This is probably why the big 4-23-07 "announcement" was a new bit of animation on the YF website. Wow!

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie

worrell4077
#103Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/23/07 at 8:16pm

"Since when did Mel Brooks become the most powerful force on Broadway?"

Since the success of The Producers and the record breaking 12 Tony awards. I think that given that track record, any theatre owner would jump on the chance to house the next Mel Brooks musical.

I'm not going to believe anything these articles say about Brooks looking at the Hilton for YF until the announcement is released about the dates, cast, theatre, etc. Besides, every article I've read in regards to YF or The Producers closing has said that YF will take the St. James next.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#104Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/23/07 at 8:20pm

Yes, but every article that mentions Brooks' interest in the Hilton says that while the St.James was his first choice, the big sets seem more appropriate for the Hilton which is why he has expressed interest in that theatre in the first place (well, that and the fact he can get more money at the Hilton).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

TechEverlasting
#105Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/23/07 at 8:21pm

Of course any theater owner would want Young Frankenstein. I'd rent them my garage if they wanted it.

This is why productions sign contracts that specify the conditions under which they can and can't be evicted from their theaters, to keep from being suddenly kicked out when something more promising comes along.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#106Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/23/07 at 9:03pm

Billy is wrong that Grease will take the St James. Every article on broadwayworld, playbill.com and broadway.com talking about the show says it will open at the Brook Atkinson. And, every newspaper article says it will open there as well as ticketmaster.com. So, I believe those more then I would believe some poster saying he knows for sure without anything to back him up.

I don't think that Pirate Queen will leave at all anytime soon. The ticket sales are doing well and it is the kind of lavish musical tourists want to see when they come to broadway.

I thought the whole idea was to close the producers and put Young Frankenstine there.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#107Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/23/07 at 9:09pm

Check the Outer Critics thread on who is actually taking the Hilton. It is on the last page of the thread.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

TechEverlasting
#108Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/23/07 at 9:21pm

Does anyone know what sort of percentages are generally specified as the point where a theater owner can evict a show?

It's interesting to note that McColgan and Doherty originally wanted to buy the Hilton theater.

postergirl
#109Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/24/07 at 11:10am

According to today's news, it looks like some people owe Billy the Kid an apology.

TechEverlasting
#110Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/24/07 at 11:54am

"According to today's news, it looks like some people owe Billy the Kid an apology."

Are you referring to the Variety article that BWW posted which just rehashes Michael Riedel's column from last week?

Yes, we all know that Mel Brooks wants to put his new show in the Hilton. Billy the Kid posted over the weekend that contracts had already been signed for YF to take the Hilton, but there has been no confirmation of this, unless I've missed something.

What exactly was it we were supposed to apologize for?

Updated On: 4/24/07 at 11:54 AM

postergirl
#111Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/24/07 at 12:03pm

Well, how about the round of disparaging comments and leaping down his throat at the suggestion.
I made my comment partially tongue-in-cheek. Sorry I omitted the requisite smiley-face.

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#112Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/24/07 at 12:07pm

^
^
^
It wasn't a suggestion, it was a "statement of fact" with no evidence to back it up. The bashing is warranted in this case and no apologies are due (as of yet).

TechEverlasting
#113Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/24/07 at 12:10pm

All my comments here are partially tongue in cheek as well.

However, Billy didn't make a "suggestion", he told us that he had inside information and was giving us the straight dope, telling us the "truth".

I'm happy to read rumors and speculation, but these should be presented as such.

Edit: Show me contracts that were signed this past weekend for YF to take the Hilton, and not only will I apologize, I will walk down Times Square in a Pirate Costume wearing a sandwich board which says "Billy the Kid knows all".

The funny thing is I doubt anyone would even notice.

Updated On: 4/24/07 at 12:10 PM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#114Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/24/07 at 12:16pm

Postergirl,

I can understand if you were being toung and cheek about your comments. The point is still that if Billy wants to be taken searously at all he would know that he has to not present rumors as facts espically when he has nothing to back them up whatsoever. And even the article on the front page of the site today just re stated the same rumor and speculation that we all were having about what theatre YF would go in.

Personally, I do think that the ticket sales for PQ aren't going to be the best but on the same tolken I don't see them dropping so bad two weeks in a row that would warrent the show from closing.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

postergirl
#115Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/24/07 at 12:23pm

Tech, I'd be delighted to come to Times Square and watch you - I'll bring the parrot.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#116Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/24/07 at 12:26pm

Also, realize that Billy is the same person who in a different thread said that for sure grease was going into the st james despite the fact that every single article about the show said it was headded for the brooks atkinson theatre.

postergirl
#117Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/24/07 at 12:31pm

Well, let's hunt him down and slap him silly............no, seriously

TechEverlasting
#118Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/24/07 at 12:32pm

Postergirl, if it turns out that Billy did have legitimate inside info and these contracts were in fact signed I'll be sure to let you know when I'm doing this. We'll make it a matinee Wednesday. The parrot sounds like a great idea.

l might give you a camcorder as well. I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to get CastCom to cover this event.

Billy the Kid
#119Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/24/07 at 12:55pm

Billy the Kid knows all. Guys you will see soon!!!

nathanlaneismyhero Profile Photo
nathanlaneismyhero
#120Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/24/07 at 1:28pm

Grease is going to be in The Brooks Atkinson theatre right after Kevin Spacey is done in A Moon For the Misbegotten. And I have been keeping up with all the articles on Young Frankenstein and there is nothing that says they are definitely in The Hilton Theatre. And even if it is, why is everyone making such a huge fuss about it? Because of The Pirate Queen?? Seriously, the show was a bad idea from the start. I wish I could bitch-slap the creative team and the people who gave them money to put it on. I see previews for that show and all I can think is, What the hell is happening to Broadway? Or theatre for that matter.

Man, I hope this gets me a comment like, " Let's hunt him down and beat him." I hope you grow up sometime soon. If Billy the Kid wants to say that he knows all, then let him, just don't pay attention to what he writes, if you know you aren't going to believe it. It's as simple as that.

Hold me touch me, Hold me touch me... Kiss me feel me, Yank me spank me, Suck me fu... ah! Hold me touch me!

postergirl
#121Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/24/07 at 1:33pm

Okay. Let's hunt you down and beat you.

Maybe when you grow up you'll learn to get a joke.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#122Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/24/07 at 1:41pm

Just came back from Times Square.

The "Size Matters" billboard is gone and has been replaced with the "It's Alive" logo from the show's official website.

And underneath it says "October 2007."

That's it.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

nathanlaneismyhero Profile Photo
nathanlaneismyhero
#123Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/24/07 at 1:42pm

Oh I get the joke. I get that the whole thread is a joke. That's why I said that people shouldn't even read what he said.

Hold me touch me, Hold me touch me... Kiss me feel me, Yank me spank me, Suck me fu... ah! Hold me touch me!

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#124Young Frankenstein
Posted: 4/24/07 at 6:56pm

Does anyone have any idea how long it would take The Pirate Queen to recoup their investment? I don't know anything about the operating costs, but even though they're playing to 77% capacity, aren't they still losing money?

Since the show is reported to have cost $16 million, I'm just guessing that it would take about 2 years or more to recoup unless they can turn The Pirate Queen into a mega-hit and gross $1 million a week. I remember that Ragtime ran for 2 years and still closed in the red. I don't know the cost of the investment for Ragtime but it also had high operating costs because it was a lavish show just like The Pirate Queen.

I'm just making an un-educated guess. But if it seems that The Pirate Queen will not be able to recoup, I can see why the theatre owners would want to push it out. And like others have already said, Young Frankenstein will most likely be a cash cow. Who wouldn't want it playing in their theatre?

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 4/24/07 at 06:56 PM

Videos