HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?

dancer1076 Profile Photo
dancer1076
#0HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/13/06 at 5:56pm

DOES ANY ONE KNOW THE SCOOP ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL COMING TO BROADWAY??

Over_the_Moon
#1re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/13/06 at 6:01pm

That it shouldn't?

"what have we learned? Don't smoke... don't do drugs and don't sing 'Defying Gravity'." -CATSNYRevival

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#2re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/13/06 at 6:04pm

Did you just get an account today just to ask that question? They do not have any plans about HSM coming to Broadway and, hopefully they never will.
Updated On: 7/13/06 at 06:04 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#3re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/13/06 at 6:09pm

HSM is being released by MTI for amateur performance. There are no plans to bring the show to Broadway.

They are working on a film sequel, however.

darkmist115 Profile Photo
darkmist115
#4re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 12:28am

mmmmmm CAPS ATTACK.

and the search function is always a good idea.

i'm honestly not trying to be rude, but it's just. chill out. and use the search function. for all of our sakes.

:)

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#5re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 12:31am

HSM has to be the worst piece of cr@p that my eyes and ears have seen and heard! It makes CAMP look like Shakespeare.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#6re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 12:34am

Marquise, I could not agree with you more.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#7re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 12:34am

It will [hopefully] never come to Broadway. Please take your caps lock elsewhere.

Chitty Profile Photo
Chitty
#8re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 12:42am

Are we really discussing this?

PersonofInterest Profile Photo
PersonofInterest
#9re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 6:25am

Wow, becoz, you were really mean to the girl who posted this thread! I haven't even seen High School Musical but I do know it has been incredibly popular and has opened up the world of musicals to a whole new generation of eyes and ears. So,if she feels passionate enough about a musical of ANY kind to start posting on a Broadway message board, then I say High School Musical has done SOMETHING right!

mathewbrock Profile Photo
mathewbrock
#10re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:05am

Did anyone else think it was funny that HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL was a film about kids auditioning for their high school musical, and yet we never see any rehearsals for or scenes from said musical? Instead, we see 15 high school guys dancing with basketballs. Ugh.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#11re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 2:38pm

Perhaps because it was all about auditioning for the show? While theatre groups I've been part of in the past have had preliminary rehearsals before the audition stage, ALL the school shows I did had auditions before any rehearsing went on.

Footlooser Profile Photo
Footlooser
#12re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 6:05pm

I think the funniedt psrt of all of this is that if "High School Musical" were to go to Broadway most of the people here would jump at the chance to be in it. Not because of the show, but because it is Broadway.

"You know just because you put a smiley face after it doesn't change the fact that it was an a-hole comment." ~ Sumofallthings

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#13re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 7:19pm

I just heard positive things about it.

Nearly every time I see it in Virgin, or Best Buy, or Circuit City - I hear someone talking about how wonderful it is, or how much their kids LOVE it. It's a big seller.

I saw it, and wanted to PUKE.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#14re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 7:45pm

Let's share a bucket munk. bleh. I am so sick of this show. I knonw the topic has been beaten to death, but I can never give up a chance to beat on this show, when I hear people from my HIGH SCHOOL (aren't we a little old for this?) ragging on about how amazing it is. *deep breath* I am done.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#15re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 9:21pm

Did anyone else think it was funny that HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL was a film about kids auditioning for their high school musical, and yet we never see any rehearsals for or scenes from said musical? Instead, we see 15 high school guys dancing with basketballs. Ugh.

That's what the sequel's for! Which they are unfortunately making.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0810900/

Wow, becoz, you were really mean to the girl who posted this thread! I haven't even seen High School Musical but I do know it has been incredibly popular and has opened up the world of musicals to a whole new generation of eyes and ears. So,if she feels passionate enough about a musical of ANY kind to start posting on a Broadway message board, then I say High School Musical has done SOMETHING right!

You're gonna see a lot of attitude on this board, just the way it is...

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#16re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 9:33pm

PersonofInterest, This is a BROADWAY message board. High School Musical not Broadway. Broadway should never be compared to a little Disney movie. It makes me mad that someone would think HSM was Broadway.

Updated On: 7/14/06 at 09:33 PM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#17re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 9:42pm

It's not just a Disney movie. Disney movies have won Oscars. This was a Disney Channel TV movie. *shudder*

The fact that they're releasing the rights to it is bad enough. Could you imagine the resulting ATC b*tchfights with LaChiusa if this opened on Broadway?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

PersonofInterest
#18re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 9:46pm

Becoz- I get that. I really do. But the question WAS about the speculation about HSM going to Broadway, which is a pretty fair speculation, considering it's success and the commercialization of Broadway. Just felt bad that a first time poster got slammed so fast and probably scared off the board.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel- I see your point and believe me, I have noticed that the board can be pretty negative, and I certainly have some not so kind words posted on here a few times. Just thought this one was particularly snobby.

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#19re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 9:47pm

Munk, I couldn't agree with you more, and I actually rarely agree with you.

High School Musical is so horrible, and I hate the constant praise of it.

I watched it, and I declared to to be the biggest piece of crap that I have ever seen. To heal myself, I watched West Side Story right after it, no joke.

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#20re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 9:54pm

PersonofInterest- I guess i sounded "snobby" to you but, just about everybody here dislikes HSM. When the thread starter posted about High School Musical, in my opinion she was asking for it.

Updated On: 7/14/06 at 09:54 PM

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#21re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 9:54pm

I love WSS.

Isn't Natalie Wood just fabulous?

PersonofInterest
#22re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/14/06 at 11:14pm

No worries. I am sure I was far more sensitive about it then she was! Lol. An you are absolutely right that HSM has been well-established on these boards as "not good." So, if she had searched and read up before she would have known not to post it, I'm SURE she won't do it again. Lol.

ProducerJeff Profile Photo
ProducerJeff
#23re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/15/06 at 12:03am

You know I don't care much about the show...in fact I find it quite boring and I dislike the music. That being said my daughter LOVES the movie and constantly sings the songs as does nearly every other girl/teen in school. It is immensely popular.

That being said, as a producer of community theatre I have to admit that I am considering putting this show up next summer if rights do indeed become available as they appear they will be from MTI. Why? Beacause the show is a gold mine and in this day and age of scrambling for every community theatre dollar out there you have to look at the bottom line. As a non-profit we have to be sure we are making enough to stay solvent and I believe HSM would make us a bunch of money to support our other shows. Sad, but true.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#24re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL?
Posted: 7/15/06 at 12:22am

Oh, what timing.
Story in the LA Times

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Videos