Shows You've Done

Mattbrain
#0Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/2/06 at 8:31pm

What's a show you've done that was an absolutely unforgettable experience. For me, it was a community theatre production of Godspell. I'll never forget that experience. The whole cast became one big family and I think we all matured as people. I did.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

mrs felciano
#1re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/2/06 at 8:35pm

Last year I was assisant stage manager/lighting for a production of Guys and Dolls. I didn't actually get to make sure people were doing the right thing backstage because I had to listen to light cues and operate the board.. so stupid me.. I assumed our offical stage manager would do it. For one of the shows he decided to drink backstage. He then climped up the ropes that control the pipes for the drops. I looked over and saw him hanging. Then he got kicked out of the show and I had a lotttt more to do. Stupid idiot.

Yeah, I'll never forget that experience.

Another experience was I was auditioning for Jeanne the cooch dancer in State Fair. I had a fever and the flu at auditions. I had to run offstage three times to vomit and I didn't make it through the dance. I guess I did something right though, because I got the part.

:)

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#2re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/2/06 at 8:36pm

a recent reading I was just involved in. there is nothing like doing an original peice. You feel so bonded and purposeful. You feel like you are soldiers for the writers vision. It was an emotional show and only 6 of us. It was great and I never have felt prouder not only of me but our writer.

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

jboy1 Profile Photo
jboy1
#3re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/4/06 at 12:30pm

I played Pirelli in an amazing production of SWEENEY TODD...it was such an incredible experience. The cast was amazing...we watched a bootleg after the show and were astonished at how good the production was (most times you think it's not that great when you're doing it). Unfortunately, our Mrs. Lovett was horrid (one performance she hummed through 3/4 of "By the Sea", yeah...) but our Sweeney more than made for it.

RIGHT NOW: Closing DISNEY'S WHEN YOU WISH at Marquee Productions (Apr. 23-26)

NEXT UP: Playing Albert Peterson in BYE BYE BIRDIE at The Western Stage in Salinas, CA (Aug. 15-Sept. 5)

Photo: Nick Adams - BEAUTIFUL!!!

NathanLaneStalker
#4re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/4/06 at 12:40pm

I did Sweeney Todd as Tobias and that was life changing for me.

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

rose_pearl Profile Photo
rose_pearl
#5re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/4/06 at 12:47pm

I was assistant director AND stage manager for a production of Damn Yankees. I learned a lot about myself and realized that it could be a potential career choice to be behind the scenes.

~*Sara*~

Who would play you in the movie? "Taye Diggs." --Brian d'Arcy James

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#6re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/4/06 at 2:46pm

I did Into the Woods as Jack's Mother (after changing roles thre times - first I was cast as Little Red, then Florinda, then finally Jack's Mom) a while ago and that was the show that first really turned me on to Sondheim. Aside from that, the cast went through a lot together and really grew together as a family.

MarkRascati
#8re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/4/06 at 3:12pm

Me and My Girl.

Very fun show.

theatahguy Profile Photo
theatahguy
#9re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/4/06 at 3:21pm

unforgettable? life-changing? That would be playing Tom in The Glass Menagerie, and playing John Hinckley in Assassins...not that Hinckley or the show is necessarily life-changing, but the circumstances surrounding the show--9/11 happened right in the middle of our run...I could write a book.....

Flippancy Profile Photo
Flippancy
#10re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/4/06 at 3:31pm

I'd have to say GODSPELL. I got to experience that show in three ways: once in the band (keyboards), once as the "We Beseech Thee" guy, and one as "Jesus". I must say, each were completely different. You'd think that I enjoyed the stint as "Jesus", but you'd be wrong -- I think I liked doing "Beseech". More of a "cuddly" feel, if that makes sense.

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#11re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/4/06 at 3:59pm

Regional production of 42ND STREET directed by Jon Engstrom (original broadway cast). Closest thing to performing on Broadway!

This is Harvard, not a stripper bar...

vmlinnie
#12re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/4/06 at 5:23pm

Did Oliver six years ago, I was only nine and it was my first proper full scale musical, and I did Annie two years ago, which was just amazing. I felt like I was about to cry right through the finale on the last night, but rather successfully held back the tears. At least until the curtain went down! But anyway, yes, I loved Annie. Very enjoyable.

The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller

SarahBeth Profile Photo
SarahBeth
#13re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/4/06 at 5:28pm

Playing Beth in Little Women. It was so perfectly cast and we all formed such a strong bond. Usually i'd just do a couple tears during the death scene but on closing night I full on bawled.

"I'll show you a laughgasm. I'll gasm all over this stage!"
"Interesting choice"

theatrewolf Profile Photo
theatrewolf
#14re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/4/06 at 5:36pm

I was Henri in a production of The Fantasticks in the early 90s.
We could tell the director's heart wasn't in it (she was set to direct A Chorus Line after we opened). So we actors would have our own rehearsals and reblock parts of the show. The director never noticed the changes. She was there for opening night and never came back to see the show again. That experience really bonded the actors together. The only show I cried after it was over.

HiHeatherIloveyourdressit'sso purpleI'llseeyouatthepoolwhodiedGod! Forbidden Broadway

SweeneyPhanatic
#15re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/4/06 at 6:37pm

Two fit this:

"big: the Musical" last November. The show was cast perfectly and it was so cool being with my friends and the middle school kids brought in to play the kids (most of them will actually be joining us this coming school year). Our director had seen the B'way production, national tour, and had done lights for a local production, and he swears that he will never touch the show again because he knows he'll never be able to top it as it was. None of us in the cast can even listen to the cast album anymore. After three months of hearing our own voices sing these songs, it just doesn't seem right.

"Little Shop of Horrors" last April. I was cast as Bernstein and was Mushnik's understudy. To make a long story short, our Mushnik got suspended for two weeks and I took over the role almost 2.5 weeks before we opened. It was so much fun and I would love to direct a production of this show one day (provided I can cast our Audrey as Audrey again).

-- SDG

LyTeMyCanDyI Profile Photo
LyTeMyCanDyI
#16re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/5/06 at 2:22am

The best experience I had was being Marty in Grease. In every other show I'd been in, save one, i was a tree or a flower. (Ok, it was elementary school, but other people had real parts with lines and all.) I had auditioned hoping to be a part of the ensemble but wound up as Marty and the understudy for Sandy.
It was a dream come true, singing a solo in front of a sold out house (1,016 seats)each night.
I made so many friends, got my first kiss, (which given my age was pathetic, but hey, it was Danny Zuko...)and I learned so much and gained so much confidence.

Megan Mullally as Karen Walker on Will and Grace: "Tell me more. Tell me more. Like does he have a car?"

wishinguweresomehow Profile Photo
wishinguweresomehow
#17re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/5/06 at 2:46am

my first community theatre show...yes, it was ANNIE, but it made me realize that there was a world FARRRRR beyond that of school theatre. And also, my senior year of high school, we did Man of La Mancha, and it was an all around great production, and the cast bonded much more than any other cast I had been a part of.

re: Shows You've Done

"Not everyone can come and go by bubble"

Duckie93
#18re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/5/06 at 12:57pm

H2$ one of the frist shows i've ever done, but one of the best

2008 Pirandello Players of SBHS present "Damn Yankees"

ncvalmont Profile Photo
ncvalmont
#19re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/5/06 at 1:15pm

I think the show that had the most impact for me was Aspects of Love. IT was the my first professional West End job...and just getting the role was life altering! I could believe that I was singing Love Changes Everything when I started!!! On my first night...my hands were shaking so bad!!!!

#20re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/7/06 at 5:27pm

Hands down, EVITA. Dinner Theater of all places, 1985. Staged and directed by Mark Waldrop, who was in the original cast. The rights had just come out, we were one of the first regional productions. We did alot of the original staging and choreography, and Mark had great Hal Prince/Patti/Mandy stories. I understudied and eventually played Magaldi, one of the shortest Magaldi's on record re: Shows You've Done

And I was getting paid! Closest thing to Bway for me too, so far.

#21re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/7/06 at 5:32pm

Fiddler On The Roof
- Last summer.

I joined a Teen Players group through my county and they do shows, and I made so many friends through this production and it was an amazing production, they had most of the original music intact (minus The Rumor, which apparently is NEVER done) and we had the Bottle Dance which went amazing the last night of the show. It was fanatasic.

I played Mordcha which was a role, I had played once before in middle school in Fiddler JR and I had so much more to do in the regular verison of Fiddler and doing the wedding scene of Motel and Tzietel was amazing, people laughed at my wacky game show host-like attempt at Mordcha, which was great.

Now were doing SECRET GARDEN which is amazing, and I play Major Holmes which is amazingly awesome but nothing beats last summer's FIDDLER ON THE ROOF.
Updated On: 8/7/06 at 05:32 PM

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#22re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/7/06 at 6:50pm

Acting--When I had the opportunity to play Sidney Bruhl in "Deathtrap."

Directing--This summer when I directed a production of "My Fair Lady."

Phantour
#23re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/7/06 at 8:15pm

I would have to say four shows:

-Romeo in Romeo and Juliet. It was a real challenge since it was my first leading role and I was new to Shakespeare. But it was an incredible process and I really learned how to take risks. I poured my heart in the role and after opening night, it was the only time after a show where my body was totally exhausted.
-Paul in Barefoot in the Park. I became a real Neil Simon fan after this play. This when I started to discover I had a knack for comedy. It was a small cast so we became a family and I learn how to improv and help fellow actors out when they kept forgetting lines.
-Thurio in The Two Gentlemen of Verona. This when I really explored comedy and knew it was a type of role I do the best. It was a lot of fun and a great experience. I was touched when someone came up to me a few days after the show and said I was their favorite person/character in the cast.
-Bailiff/Asst. Manager in Berkoff's adaptation of The Trial. It's such an ensemble piece that I really bonded with my cast members. It taught me such discipline and having to attack with my voice, and intentions of the character. It was a lot of physical work too with Mime and that made me into a better performer. It's show that I'm most proud to have been apart of.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#24re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/7/06 at 8:20pm

I just finished my 4-performance run of The Mystery of Edwin Drood today. I have to say, it's the best show I've ever done. I was Helena Landless, and though I was never voted murderer, it was still an amazing experience. I love each and every cast member and they are all incredibly talented. I miss it already. I actually cried over it today, and I never cry.

#25re: Shows You've Done
Posted: 8/7/06 at 8:21pm

I actually have a couple:

-Copacabana: This was my first show to do tech for and i absolutely fell in love with tech. i could never forget that show!

-Beauty & The Beast: I put so much time into the lights for that show. I was literally at school everyday of our christmas break except christmas eve and christmas. it was so much fun tho and it ended up being a GREAT show!

-Into The Woods: This was my senior show. It was my last high school tech show and we really treated this show as our last ever. we put soo much into it! i think this was my favorite show i have done yet.

Videos