What show would you do?

ProducerJeff Profile Photo
ProducerJeff
#0What show would you do?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 11:02pm

We are getting ready to select a production to do next summer. We have a 57 year tradition of producing an outdoor summer musical that draws thousands each year.

Our Board has selected a few shows from which to select from. They are:

Crazy For You
Guys and Dolls
42nd Street
Singin' in the Rain
Footloose
Seussical

I am not worried about finding the talent necessary to do any of the shows....fortunately we don't have a problem finding the actor/dancers. I am just wondering what show(s) from the above you think would be crowd pleasers and bring in good audiences in the midwest? We have done Guys & Dolls in the past but it has been several years ago. Our audience consists mostly of families and retired folks.

Your comments or insight on any of the above shows would be greatly appreciated as we make our choice. I guess I am leaning towards Crazy For You, but I am not overly familiar with the show.

Thanks!

RentBoy86
#1re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 11:04pm

As much as I hate it - probably 42nd Street.

ashley0139
#2re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 11:07pm

I would say Footloose (it's my favorite of those) except for the crowd you say you get. Probably not the best choice. I would say Guys and Dolls or 42nd Street.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#3re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 11:08pm

I hate FOOTLOOSE and SEUSSICAL.

The stage version of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN isn't wonderful either...

You already did GUYS AND DOLLS, do something different.

Since your audience consists mostly of families and old people, CRAZY FOR YOU and 42ND STREET would be great choices. They are both very dance heavy shows, the casting is similar (though more of a male dancer for the former), and they contain insanely recognizable tunes.

If I had to choose 1, I would say 42ND STREET.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#4re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 11:10pm

I absolutely LOVE Singin' in the Rain, but I never saw the stage version, so I'm not sure.

If not that, I'd probably say 42nd Street.

EmieMarie Profile Photo
EmieMarie
#5re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 11:14pm

FOOTLOOSE is a huge crowd pleaser, we sold out in our produtcion and the cast had a blast. We had the same type of crowd, pleanty of oppertunities(Sp) for everyone in the cast
Guys and Dolls is only great if you have a million amazing guys and no diva girls! Sorry but it's true and way overdone

Fear no more the heat o' the sun, Nor the furious winter's rages; Thou thy worldly task hast done, Home art gone and ta'en thy wages: Golden lads and girls all must, As chimney-sweepers, come to dust. ~Cymbeline

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#6re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 11:16pm

42nd Street!!!!

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#7re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 11:21pm

I'd say 42nd Street.

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#8re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 11:36pm

42nd Street

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

soapguy17 Profile Photo
soapguy17
#9re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 11:41pm

I'm going to be an oddball and say Crazy For You. re: What show would you do?

I have NEVER met Cheyenne Jackson. I have never hung out with him in his dressing room, he did not tweet me, he never bought me a beverage, and he mostly certainly didn't tickle me. . .that is all.
Updated On: 7/19/06 at 11:41 PM

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#10re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 11:47pm

42nd Street!!

It can turn out amazing if done right- there is no better feeling in the world than nailing one of those tap numbers.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#11re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 11:58pm

Since I am probably the only person responding here, that matches your audience demographic, I say CRAZY FOR YOU.

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#12re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 12:16am

I honestly say Singin in the Rain, because the Old Folks will flock I'm sure, and it can be fun for the kids. If we were just thinking of the families with kids, I would say Seussical of course.

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#13re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 12:35am

I did the stage production of Singin in the Rain and it was one of the worst shows I ever participated in. I would recommend 42nd Street or Seussical.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#14re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 7:31am

Although I have also heard Singin in the Rain on stage is not good, that is probably the title most people will know, and they will probably be more inclined to cough up money if they have heard of the show.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#15re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 1:58pm

Of that lot? Crazy For You. ^_^

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#16re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 2:08pm

"Crazy For You" would probably be your best bet. It features Gershwin music that retirees would like, and dancing that could still thrill young folks.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

#17re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 2:19pm

If you have tap dancers, 42nd street.

If not. Singing in the Rain. The retired people will love it.

Salad_Fingers85 Profile Photo
Salad_Fingers85
#18re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 2:41pm

As much as people probably disagree, I would say Seussical. It is a really good show that is fit specifically for families. Kids love it because they recognize the characters on stage. Seniors will enjoy this show because it is whimsical and fun and easy to comprehend. This show is simple yet fun and makes an excelent family production

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#19re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 3:11pm

42nd Street.

Marguerite Chauvelin
#20re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 3:46pm

I think Crazy for You is cute, but a lot of people will be drawn to Singin' in the Rain.

If Percy Blakeney were in Les Mis....

Percy: Sink me! If it isn't Javvurt!
Javert: Zsah-vair, it's pronounced Zsah-vair.
Pecry: But it's spelled J-A-V-E-R-T Javvurt.
Javert: Repeat after me Zsah...Zsah....
Percy: Oh! Zsa-Zsa! Like the Gabor sister! Well I personally have always prefered Eva.
Javert: (Looks for gun)

Kgshrauder Profile Photo
Kgshrauder
#21re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 3:50pm

I vote Seussical and Crazy for You

It was 6 hours, I don't even like to have sex and eat bacon for 6 hours.
Freddy Benson- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Flahooley Profile Photo
Flahooley
#22re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 4:15pm

I would vote for SEUSSICAL. The others have been done to death. Also, SEUSSICAL has the potential for being profound and entertaining... the others not so much.

anthonycbaron@mac.co Profile Photo
anthonycbaron@mac.co
#23re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 4:53pm

I'd say if you had to pick two, do an old and a new.

I think Seussical is great for families. It's fun and exciting and the kiddies will love it.

For the other one do 42nd or Crazy for You. It'll appease the "old timers"

mvillalobos2004 Profile Photo
mvillalobos2004
#24re: What show would you do?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 5:01pm

Hands down..."Crazy For You" if you find great tappers and your production value is high is one of my favorites!

"The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not..."

Videos