Ok, Grease!!

Broadway fan2
#0Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 10:52pm

Love it? Hate it!!? and if you love it, what is your Fave song from it?

I loved it... My fave song is a toughy though.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 2:15am

love it!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#2re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 2:16am

My grease doesn't sing.

stage_door76 Profile Photo
stage_door76
#3re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 3:12am

very funny.

i like born to hand jive and those magic changes

what'd you all reckon? agree with me? they're so the best two songs

"...But Kungurtseva reels off multiple fouettes and the tape is stopped so she can take a bow. The Jester, an abomination introduced to Swan Lake in Soviet times, extorts applause from the audience. The cuts don't help the storytelling, the production is bare bones and they go for the '50s-style happy ending. The audience cheers like mad at the end. It's the Russian ballet, after all..."

ashley0139
#4re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 8:05am

Sorry but, HATE IT!!!! With a fiery passion. The word Grease makes my blood boil. I've always hated it, but the past three summers when I have worked at a theatre camp, we have had to do this show not once, but twice. Forty little kids running around screeching out Summer Nights and Hopelessly Devoted, etc. Hearing the songs over and over and over... Aaaaaaah! But like I said, I disliked it before all that started anyways.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

ProducerJeff Profile Photo
ProducerJeff
#5re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 8:14am

This is a tough one......personally the music is not my cup of tea and the book is fair at best. However, having recently produced the show for eight nights--we had some of the best crowds we've had in a while---so needless to say the show made this producer very happy!

kathryn_with_a_y Profile Photo
kathryn_with_a_y
#6re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 11:37am

I love Grease. It's really cheesy & the music isn't even all that good. but I love it. I just did it for my school show this past year; I played Patty Simcox & I loved it. My favorite song is either 'raining on promnight' or 'mooning'.

"OK, rule number one. Unless you're served in a frosted glass, never come within four feet of my lips." - words of wisdom from Karen Walker

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#7re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 11:38am

Love the movie. Mostly hate the stage version.

leon1489 Profile Photo
leon1489
#8re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 11:43am

The stage version is weird. At least the original. I don't think the mix of seriousness and comedy is approached properly. The characters never really develop, so for instance, when Rizzo sings "Worse Things I Could Do", I can't really take her seriously... because up to that point she's been a very 1 dimensional character.

And if you do take her character seriously, it's like 1 in the entire show. I realize the show isn't meant to be taken seriously, but when you put a song like that in there, it just kind of makes everything weird.

Danitriniqueen
#9re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 11:57am

How much diff was the stage version?

joeybiltmore1
#10re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:08pm

"Grease" strikes me as a show that is much more fun to DO than it is to sit through.

I have never found the outcome satisfying (in order to get the one you love you have to CHANGE) nor the show to be an appropriate one for high schools to produce (I'm pregnant! No I'm not! Yay!) but there sure are some terrific tunes.

To single out one sems unfair when so many are such fun, but today I'm leaning toward "Beauty School Dropout".

leon1489 Profile Photo
leon1489
#11re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:09pm

Very. The supporting cast is more in the forefront. Doody, Marty, Roger and Jan each get songs. The stageshow also makes a lot of cheesy references to the 50's that the audience probably won't get. A lot of the songs featured during the prom, for instance, are sung by the characters. Magic Changes is done by Doody (that's me!), Freddy my Love is done by Marty, Mooning (I actually don't know if this is in the movie) is done by Roger and Jan and Rock & Roll Party Queen is done by Doody & Roger.

jeanne
#12re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:23pm

i loved the movie i was 15 when it came out i will be seeing a local production of it soon here in san diego

all the songs just makes you happy

jeanne

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#13re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:27pm

Ahh.. hate it, enough said...lol

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#14re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:37pm

Who else CAN'T STAND the Sandy on the original Broadway Cast Recording?

cathyhyatt
#15re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:44pm

the movie is great...not too fond of the stage version.

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

leon1489 Profile Photo
leon1489
#16re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:50pm

None of the singers in the original CD impressed me. I think the only song I prefer from the original to the revival is "Freddy My Love." It sounds sexier when it's done low.

Im a Protestor Profile Photo
Im a Protestor
#17re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:51pm

i love it. i mean, its obviously not supposed to be the deepest thing in the world, and it does a good job @ being cheesy and corny and whatever. plus, its almost impossible not to have fun being in it. i did it last year w/ my school. chorus/sandy's us. its just a fun thing to do. not the most profound, but who cares?

Hey there, you with the stars in your eyes.

Jera Profile Photo
Jera
#18re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 1:03pm

I love the movie! I've never seen the stage version, and to be honest, I don't really want to.

jera

"It's not a problem, it's just a challenge, it's a challenge, to resist temptation."

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#19re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 1:31pm

I absolutely love GREASE! My favorite song is "Summer Nights."

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#20re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 1:33pm

I haven't seen or heard the original broadway stage versionm. My mother loved the show on Broadway and saw it several times. I realy like most of the cut songs. I was going to buy the original bway cast, but i bought MAME instead, I think i should ahve gone with grease. I like mame, well because angela is in it!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

WildhornFanatic
#21re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 1:34pm

Is there nudity in the stage version of GREASE? I heard this rumor and I didn't know whether it was true or not.

leon1489 Profile Photo
leon1489
#22re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 1:40pm

Um... definitely not. Unless something was rewritten, there's no nudity necessary in Grease.

Buscee
#23re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 1:56pm

I saw the original production and the only nudity was Roger actually mooning the audience, but thats it. I happen to love the show and the movie. The original production was a nostalgic look. The movie reinvented it as a romantic musical which was brilliant in its own right. The film cast was perfect. My problem was the revival. They made a spoof of a spoof, and it turned out to be more like a Las Vegas show. But that was entertaining in its own right. My big objection to the show is that alot of schools, camps etc. perform it. The overall meaning of the show is if you become a slut, and change your good image you get to be accepted into the community. Not a good idea for children to be taught

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#24re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 3:07pm

I like the movie and I love the stage production. The stage production was actually a bit raunchier, but had so much energy. After the movie cleaned up the show a bit, most amateur and professional productions took that route and the original spirit of the show is pretty much extinct. You're the One That I Want and Sandy are ok songs, but I much prefer the original versions, All Choked Up and Stranded at the Drive-In. Should there be another Broadway revival (which is most likely), I would love to see it produced more like the original production. The London revival was pretty much a stage version of the film, with the actors phoning in their performances. The audience talked through the show until there was a song they knew and then sang along. It was horrible.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Videos