How hard would CATS be?

ProducerJeff Profile Photo
ProducerJeff
#0How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 3:39pm

A community theatre group I work with is very interested in doing Cats in the upcoming months. R&H is handling the rights and they will be avialable early 2006. My question is (not being overly familiar with the show) how hard would it be to put up? Hard to sing? I would guess choreography is hard? Obviously costuming is a key element.

Also your thoughts as to if it would be a successful draw?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#1re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 3:48pm

please, please, please if you're gonna do it RENT your sets and costumes, otherwise, just don't...
Updated On: 9/14/05 at 03:48 PM

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#2re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 3:49pm

Well...I would say it's a fairly difficult show to put up.

In essence, it's almost a ballet. The performers really need to learn to be cats, they need to get everything down...the mannerisms, their agility...I don't know how the original Broadway company did it...but they really became the animals...their performance was flawless.

As far as singing goes...it's not the hardest score to sing. There are Webber scores that are harder.

Dancing...well...make sure you have one HELL of a choreographer. Actually, I would hire more than one...a pair of them to work together and bring different styles to the show.

The set is very compicated. It's stationary, yes, but it's MASSIVE. You also need a great deal of hydraulic work with the tire that rises to the ceiling at the end. Unless you decide to stage that number differetly.

Overall, I'd say it's a pretty difficult show to stage. But it's not impossible if you have the resources and the right team.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

peach
#3re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 3:57pm

Ditto everything FOAnatic says...personally I like Cats (even though I know it's not the most popular show) - back in it's day, when I first saw it, there was really nothing else like it. And as a dancer, I enjoy watching the choreography.

You are going to need some very strong dancers with a solid core ballet background. The acting is important - each cat has a personality (even the ones in the "chorus") that needs to be mastered to keep in character. Watching some of thse performers *is* like watching my two cats at home (they like watching this DVD by the way!).

As far as singing - it's not the most difficult. If you have a solid group of musical theatre performers, they should be able to sing this score just fine.

Try to watch the DVD with Elaine Paige as Grizabella - this is actually a pretty good recording of a stage show - it's grainy, but there's not a lot of close ups, so you can actually *see* the staging, the sets and the dancing.

Costumes and makeup are key, but are certinaly doable with a good craftsman at the helm.

I think the sets could be tricky to build. I agree, rent them if you can.

Good luck, and let us know if your group decides to do it!

EDIT: Also, saw hydraulics and it made me think - if I recall, there are some light pyrotechnics (mostly in magic tricks) in this show? You may need to adjust staging for certian scenes depending on building codes.

Overall probably quite a challenge to put on, but I don't think it's impossible!

Updated On: 9/14/05 at 03:57 PM

theatrefanatic17
#4re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 4:02pm

I`ve been in cats before and let me tell you- it`s NOT simple at all. All the make up, the costumes, the set,the lighting, and most imporantly, the voices. Secondly, try perfoming this in June when it`s 90 degress out with fur, makeup, tights... yuck. Yes,sadly, we were not in an air conditioned facility, which makes things hard. Plus, you gotta have a choregographer who really knows what he/she is doing. Lots and lots of dancing. So, to answer your question, don`t take on this show all by yourself. lol. Trust me. -Cameron.
Updated On: 9/14/05 at 04:02 PM

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#5re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 4:49pm

I too have been in this show before back in the mid-late 90's and it is an extremely difficult show to do. While vocally the parts aren't terribly hard you try dancing your butt off and trying to sing it all at the same time. You will need "The CATS Chorus" which are offstage/pit singers to help fill the sound of the show.

This is another show that frightens me that community theatres are attempting to do. The production cost is very high not to mention the talent that you need to do this show and do it well. I honestly would recommend that your community theatre think of doing another show.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

CATSNYrevival
#6re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 5:01pm

what frightens me the most is that community theatres think they can do it while not having to spend a lot of money on the sets and costumes... it looks awful... and whoever thought it was a good idea to do the show in an abandoned tire factory to cut back on the set cost needs to be shot...

Fosse76
#7re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 5:07pm

What is frightening is that people here think that the only way to put on a show is to replicate the Broadway production. I've seen this in threads about shows high schools should and shouldn't do, etc. Set wise, it needs to look like a junkyard. That shouldn't be too difficult, but it won't be cheap. Contrary to poular belief, one does not need hydraulics simply because the Broadway and London productions used hydraulics. An imaginative director should be able to stage anything on a modest budget. The concern I would have is the dancing, though you can't possibly do a worse job than Gillian Lynne, who is the Bristish equivalent to Wayne Cliento (ok, she's not THAT bad, but still).

heaja123
#8re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 5:11pm

isnt there a tape of the show ? mabye you could watch it and get some ideas

Fosse76
#9re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 5:15pm

There is...its the only Lloyd Webber show that was filmed as a replication of the stage production (albeit with some trims in the dance sequences). They used the UK tour set, so that should give you an idea of what it looked like.

Gothampc
#10re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 5:25pm

Rose & Blanche did it on The Golden Girls. If they could do it, how hard could it be?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

CATSNYrevival
#11re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 5:35pm

hehe. that's a good episode...

Jon
#12re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 6:04pm

No, you don't HAVE TO study the DVD and totally plagiarize the set design, costumes, and choreography, but you know damn well that's what most community theatres will do.

JakeB
#13re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 6:16pm

"What is frightening is that people here think that the only way to put on a show is to replicate the Broadway production."

Ditto. I couldn't agree more. Well said.

I think this is a great production for community theatres to do, and I'd love to see high schools do it in a slightly abridged edition, perhaps removing some of the lengthier dance sections if necessary.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#14re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 6:32pm

this show is deceptively hard. people just think oh, cats. singing and dancing with funny makeup. It is a lot harder than it seems. the people on here have said it is not a very vocally demanding show, but the sopranos need to sing a high C I believe, and most of the time, in commonity theater, it doesn't sound pretty. I agree with the idea of looking for another show. this show will cause a lot more stress than you think.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#15re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 6:49pm

Ditto, Fosse76!

High Schools and colleges for decades now have been doing "My Fair Lady." But I'm sure people in their day said, "Wait, you can't do that show, because the costumes and sets are too expensive," or "You can't do Sweeney Todd unless you have a iron foundry brought in and assembled."

There are other ways to make these shows work. As with any play in any theatre, you have to have a talented cast, creative team and crew. The rest (to get corny for a moment) is the "magic."

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

grizzabella
#16re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 7:26pm

I agree with those who say that with imagination in the sets, and with most of the budget going for first rate costumes and makeup,and an inspired choreographer, this show is do-able in community theatre. The big trick will be the choreography. You will absolutely need first-class dancers who can *become* cats. In its day, the mastery of cat body language by the cast was one of the draws of the show. The score is not terribly hard, but your sopranos need to be able to reach a high B and C without screeching. There are also different numbers and set pieces done in different vocal styles from light operatic to jazz to more traditional musical singing.

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

Fosse76
#17re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 7:51pm

Unless the score is transposed. Argue though you may, composers, to this day, allow works to transposed for a particular performer. It's the whole package. It can't be just about the singing. An altered note here or there doesn;t change the show, the character, or the meaning. I get irritated by complaints in Phantom the the e flat (or whatever that note is) is lowered in the film, when I don't see how that matters. It's not like it was lowered into a baritone range. Personally, I like Madonna in Evita, and I can't stand Patti LuPone's high screeching on the OBC. Just because a score is altered doesn't make the performer less capable of doing the role. (Just explaining my view). CATS is hardly anything to complain about for altering the ranges, as long as it sounds good.

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#18re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 9:13pm

We're doing Cats next year and were the first high school to recieve the rights. I have no doubts it will be bad, but I am still curious as to how it will be staged and choreographed. I should turn out pretty good.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#19re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 9:15pm

I agree again, Fosse76. I think songs should be tailored to a performer to show him/her in the best possible way, just like a costume is. It's like expecting a tall actress replacing a short one to fit into all the clothes with no alterations. It ain't gonna happen much.

They need to be right for the part, but "right for the part" (to me) doesn't hinge on whether or not they can hit the same high C or not... any more than whether or not they can wear the same belt size. There's more to a character than that.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 9/14/05 at 09:15 PM

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#20re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/14/05 at 10:32pm

I don't know how hard it's gonna be for you, but it is definetely gonna be hard for the audience LOL ! Even the Broadway and London productions were unbearable ! re: How hard would CATS be?

ProducerJeff Profile Photo
ProducerJeff
#21re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/15/05 at 10:08am

THANKS for all of your input.....not sure if we will do it or not now, but your comments will help in the decision making process and make for lively discussion and discourse.

Rose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
#22re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/15/05 at 11:26am

Whatever you do, make surer than sure that whoever you get on board for costumes is up for it. I've done a few CATS costumes for Halloweens past (go to my Fan Photos to see my Bombalurina!)and they are above-average difficulty, not to mention expensive (a good unitard runs about $50; X that by 30 and you're talking serious money...). A s**t CATS costume is about one of the ugliest things in the world. Get as many people as you can as your costumers. If you think you have too many, you're on the right track.
I woud recommend trying somewhere like ADA Discount Dance (http://www.adadance.com) to find unis. They also sell an item called a Cat's Kit, which is a faux fur hood that can be adapted into a good CATS wig. It takes a little work but the end results are SO worth it. Sometimes local costume shops carry them too, as well as Bn Nye and Krylon makeup.
If you live in the Denver, CO area I'd like to help with this stuff! Let me know!

http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#23re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/15/05 at 2:10pm

I have the show on VHS and it is a beautiful piece. The dancing is very difficult, and the people need to be well trained. I'll defiantely double the part about the mannerisms. They must be CATS! The set is very detailed, but can easier be built together, it's basically a junk yard. I think when I get out of class I'm gonna watch CATS. Hope this helped.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Fosse76
#24re: How hard would CATS be?
Posted: 9/15/05 at 2:58pm

"have the show on VHS and it is a beautiful piece. The dancing is very difficult, and the people need to be well trained. "

See...here we go. The show does not have to replicate the dancing on the video. While the actors should be capable of dancing (or at least look like they're dancing as opposed to having random spasms), it doesn't mean they have to be Broadway-caliber performers. These won't be professionals, but they should be able to move.

Videos