um....West Side Story?....sorta

theatreboi11
#0um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:04am

I thought I would share a rather interesting event I attended tonight.

Basically I just saw West Side Story without an ounce of dancing.....no I am not joking....no I am not exaggerating.....it was, for lack of a better word, werid! It was like watching A Chorus Line without dancing! I just sat there and could not understand!

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:05am

.......I'm not even going to ask.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#2re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:05am

What did they do for all the music set aside for dance breaks? Like during Cool? Did they just STARE at each other?

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

theatreboi11
#3re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:08am

Lets just say there was a lot of running, fighting, and high fiving. And the best part was that every time there was a dance break they would switch to the cast recording! I didn't understand the orchestra was actually extremely good when they did play!

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

bwayballerina
#4re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:13am

Oy vey. The dancing is what makes West Side Story so amazing. America without Latin-flavored dancing? Cool without the random outbursts of pirouettes or whatever? There's a reason why West Side Story is this dancer's favorite musical. And switching to the cast recording, that's just... strange.

Sporti2005
#5re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:13am

this must have been some SERIOUSLY down home community theatre....yes?

"grace, you're stuffed in a box getting rid of ass plaque. let's face it, this evening is a bust."

theatreboi11
#6re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:16am

yes it was community theatre but they have never put on this bad of a show. Last year the show was amazing and this year well.....Chino was played by a 54 year old....Maria was 16.......Anita was 44.....Bernardo was 15......lets just say alot of interesting love scenes!

Updated On: 8/5/05 at 12:16 AM

life_so_far Profile Photo
life_so_far
#7re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:23am

Oh... my...

Mujhse Dosti Karoge?

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#8re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:25am

Oy what about the DANCE IN THE GYM?!?

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

theatreboi11
#9re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:28am

There was some very middle school partner dancing....just all impromptu and then after a bit the gangs starting yelling back and forth and doing the whole my dick is bigger than yours thing. Lights went out.....for came out of no where.....and Tony saw Maria....end of scene.

timote316
#10re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:32am

I thought Jerome Robbins' estate requires that all productions of his shows require his choreography... hm.

I cannot imagine WSS without dancing.

theatreboi11
#11re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:34am

Hmm I don't think that is true because I have been in the show where it was just a random person's choreography. So either that or every community/high school production is illegal.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#12re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:44am

Hmm, I'm also involved in a well summer theatre high school performance of west side story. I'm interning as assistant musical director and playing in the pit...and we do have dancing thank god, not fabulous...but the staging of the ending is pissing me off...

I'm pretty sure the script calls for, or at least the way my high school did it two years ago, is Maria refuses to let Shrank touch Tony, so then the Jets start to carry him off, but he almost falls so some Sharks unconsciously run to grab him, then they kinda look and realize what has happened and make up without words. Some others follow, and a couple walk off very confused, still unable to let go of gang violence..oh and a Jet puts the scarf on Maria's head, and then the last scene on the stage is Chino being held and the four adults just staring blankly into space, not knowing how this all happened or how to control it. I love that last part...

The way this is staged...after Maria refuses to let Shrank touch him, she motions to everyone...and Chino is the first one to come over and pick him up...I don't think he's seen the error of his ways in that many seconds, he certainly shouldn't be first, and Jets and Sharks come and carry him off at Maria' motioning...then the scarf is put on her and the last image is Shrank walking Maria off...wtf?? Why would Maria let Shrank walk her off, it just doesn't make sense.

Sorry, had to vent, I've been hating watching that last scene of rehearsals.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

MargoChanning
#13re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:48am

I believe only major Equity productions require the Robbins' choreography. Jerry Mitchell (who, at last word, is slated to direct the next Broadway revival of the show in 2007) has said he's been part of some WSS productions that used the Robbins choreography and others that have not. Thankfully, he plans on recreating the Robbins choreography for the next revival (assuming it's still happening).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#14re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:50am

I think they should do "West Side Story" without the songs and dances. They could set it in Old World Verona and have it about two feuding families instead of the gang members. I could see this working....

theatreboi11
#15re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:58am

haha marquise!

ProducerJeff Profile Photo
ProducerJeff
#16re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 9:25am

I produced WSS for a local community theatre a couple of years back....and in the contract I signed with MTI it does state something to the effect that the original Jerome Robbins choreography should be used....etc., etc. (not sure on the exact wording and I am too lazy to dig up the contract).

We did keep to the spirit of the Robbins choreography, however it is hard when you don't have dancers that have the training necessary to do some of the moves.

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#17re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:08pm

If I'm not mistaken the Robbins Estate says that original staging and choreography should be used if possible. If more than 90% of the choreography is used billing says originally choreographed by Jerome Robbins - choreography re-created by Jon Doe. If not it just says original...JR - Choreographed by Jon Doe. Or something like that.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#18re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:15pm

How old are the characters in WSS? Are they really supposed to be in high school? I always figured Maria to be about 16, Tony was 17 or 18 and Anita and Bernardo maybe a year or so older then that. Maybe I'm just going off the movie, though.

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#19re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:21pm

I'm guessing that since they dance at a school gym they're probably around the high school (or high school dropout) age range

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#20re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:22pm

Is it the school gym? I thought it was like a Rec center...

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#21re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:24pm

It isn't a school gym it is indeed a Recreational Centre gym. They are supposed to be late teens - early 20's.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

peach
#22re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:37pm

Egad. WSS without dancing is sacrelige (but I'm a dancer, so....)
This is a tough show to do - I don't think groups should even attempt take it on if they can't *really* take it on!

Each time I've been in it (always non-equity) we used Robbins' original choreography, or at least most of it. It had to be credited as such for legal reasons, I suppose.

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#23re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 12:41pm

Where did you see it? Someone else on this other message board saw it last night too and said it hasn't held up at all and couldn't fathom it being anyone's favorite musical since it was so depressing. Wonder if it was the same production.

"Some of us have it worse, you know, Dana. Some of us are dating lesbian men. Okay? C'mon."

theatreboi11
#24re: um....West Side Story?....sorta
Posted: 8/5/05 at 1:34pm

I saw it in Highland, Indiana haha Doubt it was the same production

Videos