pixeltracker

Possible new Tony for replacements...

Possible new Tony for replacements...

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#0Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 3:11am

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/37801.htm

I think this is an idea that's needed to get into action for a while now. I'd like to see this happen; these people deserve recognition, too. It looks like it might just take off.

Discuss!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#1re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 3:19am

It's about time!

Let the replacers get some recognition! Woo-hoo!

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#2re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 3:19am

Good for them! Many of them deserve it!

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#3re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 3:46am

that is awesome! i've always thought that replacements should get reconized too. this is great news!

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#4re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 3:46am

It's a fascinating idea but fraught with peril. So much depends on the role itself. One of our theatre awards in Australia nominates the same long running shows year after year, and if a comparable leading man role doesn't turn up in a new show, how many times can you give different actors the prize for playing the Phantom or Velma Kelly? Those sort of parts have awards built in to them.
Also, Producers and directors of hits encourage replacements to fit into the fabric of the production as seamlessly as possible (why else do you think every Max Bialystock has been asked to do a carbon copy of Nathan Lane's performance? Because it WORKS). Now if a new star thinks there might be an award waiting for him for being unique, surely he's going to find ways to make himself stand out from his predecessor, possibly unbalancing the entire production and making the production staff very cross indeed.

jjdude2000
#5re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 6:56am

I'm so happy that they are finally considering this!

Grace: I just gave a quarter to a homeless man. I think it was Johnny Depp.

Spooky
#6re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 7:46am

I think it's great. I'll put my vote in now for Jennifer Laura Thompson.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#7re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 10:00am

Melanie Griffith made a splash in Chicago? LOL

It's really too bad they couldn't have done this for Reba during Annie Get Your Gun.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#8re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 10:02am

There are a lot of replacements over the years who would have deserved this, so it's kind of sad for them.

On the other hand, imagine if they ARE eligible to run against the "regulars"...it's going to make the competition a LOT tougher - because all the long-running shows could have a new person every year...imagine how many people could be eligible for each acting award each year.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#9re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 10:04am

Hoping Harvey gets another Tony.
Go Harvey!
WOO HOO!

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#10re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 10:04am

And Andrea Martin. Updated On: 1/7/05 at 10:04 AM

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#11re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 10:17am

I think while this is a good idea to award the repl;acements i dont think they can compete with new shows. Which to me they should add new categories for replacement actors...I dont see how it is fair to anyone for people who have poured their heart and soul into creating a part to be up against someone stepping in a replacing a part that is already there.

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#12re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 10:20am

I agree, umgeo. Not that replacements don't pour their whole heart and soul into a part, but I know it's different. I just think it will be too much if they are competing in the regular categories. Just one award for Best Replacement, or if they feel they must, one male and one female. Not one for each of the four categories (Actor, Actress, Featured Actor, Featured Actress).

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

dry2olives Profile Photo
dry2olives
#13re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 11:01am

How do you get someone to view every replacement performance in a season? How many times can a person see Chicago or Rent in a year? (Don't answer that. I know.) If they do this it's likely only the big name replacements will even be considered.

Lifeoftheparty2 Profile Photo
Lifeoftheparty2
#14re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 12:26pm

i think thats a good idea because jlt really deserves recognition cuz she rocks as glinda

*Always be a first rate version of yourself, instead of a second rate version of someone else* -Judy Garland

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#15re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 12:26pm

rath i completely agree with you that they should have their own category and only 1 category...sorry the tonys keep adding more and more categories which mean we get to see less and less of them on tv...

but it is set that this year they will not be eligible the first year it possibily could go into effect is next year...

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

timote316
#16re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 1:23pm

If the replacements have their own category, then I'm all for it. However, I don't think they should be against the originators.

I'm pretty sure JLT has it all wrapped up, tho lol

gherbert
#17re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 1:26pm

I think it is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

This award will be created to stroke the egos of replacement stars and greedy producers, upset they can't advertise the show's original acting awards or nominations.

Replacements deserves recognition and their own awards. If this actually becomes a Tony it won't be fair. The Velma Kelly that plays the role for 2 months might be just as good if better than Brooke Sheilds in Wonderful Town, but would she get the recognition?? No.

This award is just implausible because there is no way that they can make it fair. A special Tony is fine by me, but an actual category is ridiculous.

And Riedel's comments about including replacements in the acting categories that have been around for fifty years is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. If this must happen it should happen spearately. While they both have their merits and defects, originating a role and replacing in a role are two very different things.

TheGaIsSilent Profile Photo
TheGaIsSilent
#18re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 1:31pm

Note that Harvey, JLT, and Andrea wouldn't be considered. The earliest Tony broadcast this would be effective for is in 2006.

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#19re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 1:34pm

They need time to come up with a better name for the award. Best Replacement? Ugh.

TheGaIsSilent
#20re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 1:35pm

Best Actor We Got After Our Famous Actor Left?

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

QueenMuppet Profile Photo
QueenMuppet
#21re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 1:44pm

I'm happy to see that this 'might' be happening. How many times have I seen 'replacement' performances which were superior to the 'original' ones.

I completely agree with what other people have mentioned before, I think I'd like to see a different category for the replacements as the original performers should definitely be honoured in their own category.

On the other hand, I'd love to see the fierce competition if they decide to have them all in one category. re: Possible new Tony for replacements...

QM

'He really wasn't good as Fieyro. Is it just me or does he sort of come across as a pimp? Just...the hand motions I've seen him do and the attitude..not that Taye is a pimp.' - SallyBrown on Taye Diggs as Fiyero

gherbert
#22re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 1:49pm

Sorry kids, it's a no-go according to Playbill.com.

The reason that there was never an award for replacements is because in the days when Broadway was your only career and shows didn't run a vulgar decade and a half, there were no replacements save the last few months of a run or something.

But very rarely would a star leave their vehicle for Hollywood or just because their contract was up. Often they might stay the entire run, maybe taking a vacation or some time off. Ethel Merman always stayed the entire run of her shows and in addition never missed a performance. Alfred Drakes, John Raitt, Gwen Verdon, Mary Martin, Chita Rivera, and others would normally stay the majority of their shows run and then leave when their next show was ready to go up, while their former show winded down.

Now, since ever person in theatre stays their eight-month contract and then rushes to the other coast like a stampede, we have become accostumed to replacements and don't think them eventful at all.

And in a time when there was such a wealth of rich material on Broadway it didn't seem necessary to honor replacements because most of the top talent was already on Broadway in an original cast.

Now, since good material is seriously waning and shows run forever and a day, it might take five years to get to originate a role in a Broadway muscial, which is absolutely ridiculous. So big stars, not wanting to have to go through the whole proccedings, replace other stars.

It's quick, easy, two weeks rehearsal and a two month run.

I just think that implementing this category would be the final say that there is nothing good that opens on Broadway and that we need to honor TV stars who "slum" it by doing Broadway with some sort of reward.

That's just stupid.

Article on Playbill

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#23re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 1:53pm

Who says it would only go to TV stars? I think Carolee Carmello, Karen Ziemba, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Judy Kaye, etc., who have all been replacements, would be prime candidates for an award such as this.

TheGaIsSilent
#24re: Possible new Tony for replacements...
Posted: 1/7/05 at 1:54pm

Did we read the same article? Playbill says it's not a part of the January 20 discussion, which is just about this year's Tonys. I wouldn't be shocked if it got implemented in May. It's a great idea.

Videos