Flopaholics Anonymous

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#0Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/5/05 at 5:16pm

Does anyone else seem to be drawn to flops like a moth to the flame?

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#1re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/5/05 at 5:18pm

all too much!!

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#2re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/5/05 at 5:35pm

Yessss! I get so mad about it too. It sounds silly but in my mind, if it sounds great to me it should sound great to everyone else, hahaha!

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

incendiary_wit Profile Photo
incendiary_wit
#3re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/5/05 at 5:39pm

Hello, my name is Beth and I'm addicted to musical flops and continue to harp on them when everyone else has moved on.

1. Ted Allen: Everyone has an interesting life if you ask the right questions.
2. Great buckets of Spoffnor, they're going to sing!
3. "I love shrubs that are historical." -Johnny and The Sprites
4. "We're not singing it to you, we're singing it for us." -Rosario Dawson, about La Vie Boheme
5. "The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours." -The History Boys
6. "Pass the parcel. That's sometimes all you can do. Take it, feel it and pass it on. Not for me, not for you, but for someone, somewhere, one day. Pass it on, boys. That's the game I want you to learn. Pass it on." -The History Boys

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#4re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/5/05 at 5:57pm

I don't know if I quite qualify as a flopaholic, but I definetely understand the sentiment...FLOPS ARE FASCINATING!

HA, and I get a kick about picking them apart...I love being analytical, even if its just for my own purposes. The director in me I guess :0)

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/5/05 at 6:50pm

Me

I have seen many a turkey in my time is all I will say & loved every minute. I would loved to have seen more

Loved every minute of Dracula

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 7/5/05 at 06:50 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#6re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/5/05 at 6:58pm

My name is Robbie and I'm a Flopaholic.

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#7re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/5/05 at 7:07pm

Hi, Robbie. Coffee and doughnuts available.
I have tried the 12 step Flop program many times. It has yet to work. I still love them.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#8re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/5/05 at 7:12pm

Except for Bklyn. That's my only flop I don't like.

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

Starchild Profile Photo
Starchild
#9re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/8/05 at 11:42am

I loved BKLYN. And it's going on tour, is it officially a flop? Lasted 300 performances? I guess I will need a definition of flop, can someone oblige?

VB: Mr. Wonka, my name is Violet Beauregard... WW: I don't care.

WOSQ
#10re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/8/05 at 11:46am

Moss Hart said, "Nobody learns anything from a hit."

Flops teach us, at least in theory, not to make the same mistakes again (and again and again).

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#11re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/8/05 at 12:03pm

Yep! Anyone heard the cast recording of Goldilocks, with Elaine Stritch? FABULOUS score, but you can tell just be reading the CD liner notes that the show was a complete mess. :)

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#12re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/8/05 at 12:55pm

Starchild- 300 performances sure, lots of fans, yes. But I don't know how great of a success it was...

Little Women is considered to many a flop, and it is going on tour as well......

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#13re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/8/05 at 2:08pm

Isn't a "turkey" or "terrible musical" different from a "flop"?

I thought "flop" was a financial term that had nothing to do with artistic or critical merit. In fact, aren't most productions considered flops, as they never re-coup their investment?

Now, as for terrible musicals I was drawn to...I saw "Buskers" (aka, Stage Door Charley) three times when it was in SF years ago. I don't remember whether critics liked it or not (assumption is no), but I, and the rather slight audiences that saw it in SF, enjoyed the show, especially the tap dance numbers. Also, absolutely fantastic sets of a London Bridge and we also saw Marcia Lewis as a Busker! She was fantastic! Oh yeah..there were also puppets. I don't remember much about them.

The musicals downfall, IMO, was that Tune was WAAAAAAY tooo old to be playing Darcie Robert's love interest. She was 19 or 20 at the time, and he was 50 plus. No Cruise and Holmes, were they...

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#14re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/8/05 at 2:16pm

I think flop is a financial term.

There have been many flops of great shows....and many terrible shows have not been flops.

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#15re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/8/05 at 2:18pm

God knows that's true, thenardier!!

re: Flopaholics Anonymous

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#16re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/23/05 at 2:04pm

I found a new one (well, old) - Drat! The Cat!

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#17re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/23/05 at 2:09pm

One of the best scores to a terrible musical is "One Night Stand" Jule Styne and Herb Gardner

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Forester Profile Photo
Forester
#18re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/23/05 at 2:11pm

I saw Carrie twice. I'm very proud of that.

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#19re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/23/05 at 2:20pm

*raises hand* I'm horribly addicted to flops. TABOO is one of my favorite shows ever. And I sometimes will only listen to flops for months straight.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#20re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/23/05 at 2:27pm

In true, I get way too attached to flops.

"Taboo" is one of my favorite shows.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#21re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/23/05 at 2:52pm

I <3 Flops, I should marry the musical "Carrie" we are ment for eachother.

broadwaybound882
#22re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/23/05 at 3:41pm

ok. I'll admit it, although it is only one show: Dracula. I loved it to no end. Please, Frank, BRING IT BACK!!!

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#23re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/23/05 at 5:52pm

My favorite flop is CANDIDE. Three times on Broadway, three times a financial failure. Still love it though.

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#24re: Flopaholics Anonymous
Posted: 7/23/05 at 6:02pm

Did the '74 Candide not break even? Thought that it was a moderate money maker.

As to Goldilocks, mentioned above, the script is actually VERY funny, with a couple of hilarious sequences when they are making the movies. About the only thing I thought was terribly wrong with it is that the resolution is far-fetched and unbelievable. (The main couple, who have been fighting with each other all night long, suddenly decide they love each other. Curtain. The end).

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

Videos