pixeltracker

I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:

I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:

pab Profile Photo
pab
#0I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 2:55am

Don't be offended by the term "theatre geek", I mean it in the most fun way possible, like being one of the biggest fans of theatre.

After reading the "How many times have you seen a certain show?" thread and seeing how many times some people have attended various shows I wondered what other things (including seeing a show MANY times) would qualify you as a theatre geek.

I officially qualify as a theatre geek because: I've seen over 180 different shows (Plays & Musicals) on Broadway and also a number of shows Off-Broadway.

What qualifies you as a theatre geek?

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 7/19/05 at 02:55 AM

tagiunagi
#1re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 3:05am

There's a fine, fine line between geek and snob. A geek goes to all possible shows (I say "possible" cuz not everyone lives in NY and let's face it, it can be harder to see shows if one does not live in NY). But a theater snob is one who lives their life on this site and then offensively corrects people when they don't immediately know what's going on in the Bway world.

Hypothetical case in point:
News Flash! Sutton Foster may be in upcoming performance of The Drowsy Chaperone!

Five minutes later... another Sutton post
News Flash! Sutton Foster may be in upcoming performance of The Drowsy Chaperone!

And then the flood gates open as tens of so called "theater geeks" call the latter person an idiot for not knowing 5 minutes ago that Sutton was doing this show.

What do I say to the snobs? OY! Not everyone is a flaming geek, so get off their backs!

Kisses! Much love! :)

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#2re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 4:10am

I officially qualify as a theatre geek because I have over 250 cast recording, can tell you the winner of every Tony-winning Best Musical from KISS ME KATE to SPAMLOT in order, and consider "Broadway Musical: Show by Show" to be the greatest book ever written.

I have more qualifications, but i think that this is suitable.

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!

#3re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 4:22am

o wow and i thought i was a theatre geek cuz i love theatre, do as much as i possibly can and go on this board fairly often but i guess i was wrong...

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#4re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 4:33am

Because I can name the highest note that almost every character on Broadway belts.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

BreakingTheCircle07 Profile Photo
BreakingTheCircle07
#5re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 4:53am

...because it's 3:52AM and I'm reading broadwayworld.com's message board regarding why I "officially qualify as a theatre geek."

re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:

Variations on a Theme blog: http://panekattack.blogspot.com/

jo
#6re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 5:37am

Because I fly 15-17 miserable hours on a plane to see a show on Broadway or the West End re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#7re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 6:55am

Because I woke up 5 hours early to see what new posts were up..OMG I NEED A LIFE

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#8re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 8:04am

Because I've pulled two all-nighters talking to people on this board, and because more often than not my friends say to me, "You're such a theatre geek and I love you for it!" lol.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#9re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 9:00am

Because I'm here and Idina Menzel is on in my room.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Sluggy Profile Photo
Sluggy
#10re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 9:42am

Because I'm at the office and when I just opened a new web browser I started singing "Open A New Window" from Mame!
Also because on random days I'll notice the clock at 7:30 and think "half hour" or at 2:00 or 8:00 and think "going up". Does anyone else ever do that?

"Which way do you want these pleats turned?" "Toward Mecca."

BwayBoy25
#11re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 9:46am

when my really good friend was in the city for a few weeks recently and she would call with their plans i would drive home from rehearsals and think...shes watching so and so right now...or the same thoughts as you...so im with you sluggy

hear the beat...

Brodybaby03 Profile Photo
Brodybaby03
#12re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 9:57am

Because I try and keep up with how Marin Mazzie cuts her hair and do mine the same way....

Flight0017 Profile Photo
Flight0017
#13re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 9:57am

Jo: Where are you?

I'll fly 24 miserable hours to see my favorite musical, that's why I'm a theatre geek!

"Curse you, Lady Glyde!"

OtherDaryl Profile Photo
OtherDaryl
#14re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 10:41am

My Eighth Grade Science Project was about Liza Minnelli.

My English Lit paper was a Comparison of Charicterizations of Henry VIII in Dramatic Literature.

My Senior Sociology Thesis was "The Rise and Fall of Julie Andrews" (pre SOB, of course).

re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:

And I've gotten a promotion from Stand-by to Featured Actor on this message board. Does that make me eligible for a Tony, now?

"Love Life. Live." Michael Bennett
Updated On: 7/18/05 at 10:41 AM

seymour krelborn Profile Photo
seymour krelborn
#15re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 10:51am

I understand every reference in The Musical of Musicals ( the Musical).

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#16re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 10:54am

I did a twenty four page long, complete with audio CD, nonfiction research project on the life, the shows, and the impact of Stephen Sondheim for an English project this year. I was the only one in the class who didn't do a rap star or a sports figure.

I paint my fingernails green for the sole reason that Sally in Cabaret does it.

In February, I send people "Charity Hope Valentines."

hypertruffle
#17re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 11:31am

CastAlbumfan- That's goes the same for me too. Except the 250 albums, I have only 75 :'(

"The cynicism you refer to, I acquired the day I discovered I was different from little boys!~All About Eve

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#18re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 11:34am

I simply live and breathe theatre.

This is my signature.

gavrochegirl
#19re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 11:50am

Sometimes, I'm on here until one or two in the morning.
Either that, or just like Aigoo, I simply live and breathe theatre.

What the puck?!

ashley0139
#20re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 11:54am

I simply live and breathe theatre.

That's the only way I can describe it.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#21re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 11:54am

and I have 175, of which maybe 20 are in German.......

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#22re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 12:14pm

If you've ever seen the episode of "Murphy Brown" where Rosie O'Donnell plays a secretary who sings a Showtune whenever a word reminds her of a song...well, That's me. lol Okay, I'm not THAT bad. I don't start singing the songs out loud, but whenever somone mentions the slightest word or phrase, I can usually think of a Showtune that word or phrase was in and then sometimes, yeah, I'll sing it in my head. :P

Also, when non-theatre people (people at work or my family and friends) will say, "Just ask Christine. She'll know." whenever it comes to a theatre-related question.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

ReNtHeAd04
#23re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 12:41pm

im a theatre geek because i see rent once a month at least. i see as many shows as i possibly can. i ramble on to all my "macho" guy friends who don't care about theatre..oh yeh and the fact that i check this board religiously. re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:

"maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away" -sex and the city

BwayTheatre11
#24re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/18/05 at 12:45pm

Then you are a renthead, not a theatre geek...

CCM '10!