pixeltracker

How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?

How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?

art2
#0How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 11:55pm

In the stage production of RENT there are several occasions when the two men Angel and Collins kiss each other. On one or two of these occasions, Angel is in drag so it looks as if a man is kissing a woman. However, there is one occasion where Angel isn't in drag and it is quite obvious there are two men kissing. I'm interested to know if Chris Columbus has remained true to the production or whether he's buckled under and erased this latter one. Anyone know?
Updated On: 8/21/05 at 11:55 PM

TheHumanTorch Profile Photo
TheHumanTorch
#1re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 11:59pm

i would assume, just from seeing the trailer and having Traci and Idina kiss each other, that Columbus or the editor, will have no limits about putting in kissing between two males

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#2re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:00am

"Traci and Idina kiss each other"

PINCH ME, Am I dreaming?!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#3re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:00am

Good question. I don't think anyone on this board would know, as no one as seen the movie yet. We'll just have to wait and find out.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#4re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:01am

See, now considering what happened LAST time, wouldn't it be smarter if you guys just ignored this, instead of fuelling the fire?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

TheHumanTorch Profile Photo
TheHumanTorch
#5re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:02am

what happened last time Emcee?

theatreboi11
#6re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:02am

I am assuming he keeps it is since there is nothing wrong with two men kissing. Plenty of movies have it!

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#7re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:03am

Exactly. Emcee.

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#8re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:03am

Any moment there will be a rant about the libido liberals who like female/female for their own sick reasons, but want to obscure male/male love. Just wait.

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#9re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:06am

Actually, I can't believe you guys didn't know this. I might as well come out with the news...

Of course Columbus has removed all homosexual kissing in the Rent movie. In fact, all homosexuality in Rent has been eliminated. Angel is now simply a girl and Joanne has been replaced by Joe, and he is being played by Montell Williams.

AIDS has also been replaced in the film. in fact, to accomplish this, the setting has been changed to England in the early part of the millenium, and everyone who has AIDS now suffers from the bubonic plague.

And the freshest word that will be said in the movie is "golly." (Em, you remember hearing at least 3 "gollys' in the scene of the movie we saw shot right?)

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

theatreboi11
#10re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:32am

HAHAHAHA Thats great wickedrentq

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#11re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:34am

Oh dear, the return of Art! The one-trick pony!
"Your act hasn't changed much..."

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

art2
#12re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:47am

The Human Torch

Don't assume that a director would include the obviously male-male kiss just because he's put in a female-female kiss. There are plenty of people, including Hollywood directors, who have a double standard in relation to this. To them, female-female is OK, male-male not OK. Just be aware of the double standard.

As for what I posed in my original post, it's a yes or no question.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#13re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:49am

The word "how" is not the start of a yes/no question, ma'am.

And girl-on-girl kissing, especially when one girl is Idina, is just plain hot.

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=841832&boardname=off

zzannahk Profile Photo
zzannahk
#14re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:51am

has anyone attended a focus group viewing of this?? probably in la, they will make changes or cut out things based on those reviews. they want the opinion of middle aged men from the south as well as us broadway freaks, however they basicaslly want to know if specific demographics will shell out the $8.50 and up to see it.

CJR
#15re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:56am

(Man)*kiss*(Man)

I'm pretty sure that's how it'll go.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

musicnmath
#16re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:58am

"early part of the millenium" hehe. There's a visual. Circa 810 A.D.....

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#17re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 1:17am

At least this guy is ...tenacious... I guess I'll give him that.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#18re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 1:47am

I'm guessing you're asking this question because of the trailer that so got your goat a little while back, art2. Well here's a little newsflash for you that makes this thread redundant:

Chris Columbus didn't cut the trailer.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#19re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 1:52am

CJR.

LOL. I love you.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#20re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 2:00am

"In the stage production of RENT there are several occasions when the two men Angel and Collins kiss each other"

What version did you see? Cuz it only happens but two times in the show, thus two does not equal "several"

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#21re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 2:14am

There's no reason to prematurely freak out about any sort of homophobia related to the film. I haven't read any sort of report about kisses cut or anything, and speculating will do no one any good.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#22re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 2:35am

Who cares if the kisses are cut? The movie is not about kissing.

Friggin' obnoxious gay activist fighting a solo fight that gets nowhere faggot.
(Oops. I'm not aloud to say that word on here. Am I?)

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.
Updated On: 8/22/05 at 02:35 AM

art2
#23re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 2:44am

Justice,

You sound like a rancorous hen. If you don't have anything constructive to say, go click and cluck elsewhere.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#24re: How will Chris Columbus show the male-male kisses in RENT?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 2:46am

"rancorous"

Ooh! A Scrabble word!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Videos