pixeltracker

Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)

Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#0Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/8/04 at 11:29pm

I saw WICKED tonight for the 3rd and final time.. got tickets for christmas to see Taye and while the show was wonderful tonight,full house and the leading ladies/taye gave fab performances... Kristin was laughing almost the entire show and then the 2nd act comes where taye swings in on the tarzan rope and throws the broom to idina..he missed idina and hit a guard, the entire audience BURSTS out laughing and taye looked mortified so Idina started to laugh and then kristin grabs Idinas witch hat and puts it over her face...idina then goes "CUT!!!"and did the motion with her hands like one of those movie thingies... and taye proceeds to take the broom and put it back where it was at the start of the scene and they did the entire scene over again with major flubbed lines... Kristin could not stop laughing..they tried to get serious again yelling but then, Idina starts to laugh and Kristin threw Idina her witch hat goes yells "JUST GO!!!" if i didnt know better, i'd say they were having a real oz dust backstage lol... It was a great flub though but, heard some very mixed reviews from people around me. Updated On: 1/8/04 at 11:29 PM

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#1re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/8/04 at 11:31pm

That's really unprofessional, but I can't help but laugh!

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

tappedout
#2re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/8/04 at 11:35pm

that's the kinda stuff that i always wish would hapen the 2nd time i see a show....SOOOOO FUNNY!

you think you know but you have no idea.....

LA Guy Profile Photo
LA Guy
#3re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/8/04 at 11:49pm

I understand that accidents happen, but these actors should be professional and pull it together when needed. Granted I wasn't there to see what happened, perhaps there was no other way to cover it, but to make light of the situation, as if it didn't happen, is insulting to an audience that paid $100 a seat!

LadyGuenevere
#4re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/8/04 at 11:49pm

I would have laughed and winced at the same time, if I saw that!

I hate seeing when actors handle those things badly. It's horrifingly funny...but I'm not too sure if I'd want to see that at a Broadway show. Updated On: 1/8/04 at 11:49 PM

MyQueenPattiLupone Profile Photo
MyQueenPattiLupone
#5re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/8/04 at 11:50pm

Ah! I've always wanted to see something like that happen, but YIKES at the same time its so unprofessional and grates my nerves

I Love Rick Lyon ::Sigh::

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#6re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/8/04 at 11:51pm

When is Taye leaving?

Copeman63 Profile Photo
Copeman63
#7re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 12:42am

Oh my gawd, that's so like the community theater version of Mamma Mia! It's gonna be so bad when Kristen leaves because the new girl is a real witch and I hate her cause she's mean! I also want to throw her and Sara Inbar down some steps.

If Lincoln were alive today, do you think he'd be pleased with his tunnel?

broadwayguy2
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 12:46am

That is one FEISTY homosexual

Copeman63 Profile Photo
Copeman63
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 12:50am

That was meant with love, just like how'd I love to see BWayguy as the lead in Equs (spelling?)... Oh wait, I've already seen it.

broadwayguy2
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 12:51am

Equus..

you ain't seen nothing yet......

Copeman63 Profile Photo
Copeman63
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 12:56am

We'd so be Tanya and Pepper, cause you can pursue this all you want, but then I'll stop the show with a smashing redition of DYMK, and rock your socks off!

broadwayguy2
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 12:56am

he he he he. Copeman naughty boi

emmamia Profile Photo
emmamia
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 12:59am

oh mr copeman - you know for halloween your tanya and im pepper ... won't we be the cute crossdressers :)

xoxo

~*~ Little Boys Who Play With Fire Get Their Fingers Burned ~*~ Tanya (Mamma Mia)

newyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 1:00am

I agree that would be entertaining for someone who's seen the show before but I feel bad for the first time $100 seat people:o

broadwayguy2
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 1:02am

but emma, I have better boobs and a perkier butt........

WhatDoINeedWithLove?
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 3:23am

I always love little flubs but that kinda sucks for the audience bc its kind of an important part of the show...oh well i still LOVE Idina, Cheno, and Taye!

FindingNamo
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 9:30am

Man, the show has been on Broadway for about three months and already they're behaving as if they have long-run-itis. Though yelling "CUT" sounds kind of jarring, the surprising part to me was when you wrote, "Kristin was laughing almost the entire show..."

That can't be good.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Trina
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 10:10am

I was there last night as well and was majorly distracted by Kristin's constant laughing, to the point where she couldn't finish songs. The first time I saw the show happened to be when Kristin was out sick in November, so I saw her understudy and though Kristin is clearly better all around, it was a much different show for me. It seems more Elphaba-centered without Kristin (which I think I enjoyed more). Perhaps I would have appreciated it more if there weren't at least 3 ocassions when Kristin couldn't sing because of her laughter.

Everybody seemed to be off last night, Carole Shelley lost her blocking, Taye was flat on several notes (more charismatic than Norbert, but not particularly a great singer and forced Idina to sing in a totally different key during their duet), Defying Gravity was somehow less emotional than I remembered it the first time (but Idina kept clearing her throat, so I wondered if she was getting sick), Joel Grey flubbed a line and of course the big broom flub.

I might have to see it again when everyone is on all cylinders to get a true feel for the way the show should run.

FindingNamo
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 10:26am

"I might have to see it again when everyone is on all cylinders to get a true feel for the way the show should run."

WHY? Why would you expend the time and cash to see it again? It's not like it's a junior high production of Bye Bye Birdie that you want to see how the kids shape up during a three performance run.

Sounds like there's SOMETHING going on.

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 10:35am

Not to make excuses for the performers in this situation, although it is pretty damn funny, yet unprofessional...I have been in a situation such as this during a performance, and although you might have seen them laughing and not having the ability to pull themselves together, it could be a case of nerves and embarrassment that caused them to have reacted that way.

I was doing a staged reading in the past year, and in a moment that was supposed to be very intense and serious between another actor and myself, I flubbed a line somehow...I guess getting so caught up in the emotion, and the actor I was speaking to started to snicker, and contort his face in the funniest expressions trying to hold it together. I tried to continue and ignore, but then I couldn't take it anymore, and we both laughed through the rest of the scene. Although I was praying to God that I could pull myself together, and combination of thinking, "Well, I'd might as well let it out now that I have already snickered and lost control to the point the audience has already seen it....", and the fact that I was embarassed beyond belief that I allowed myself to break character during a serious moment and professional production, all I could think about the rest of that night was guilt that I broke character in the back of my mind and that I had cheated the audience.

When an actor is distracted by thoughts such as those, who knows to what extent it might affect their performance. For me, I had gotten so sidetracked and nervous throughout the performance, that I had forgot lines, and lyrics, and stammered throughout the reading. The fact that I had my script near me was no help. It was all nerves and guilt affecting me. So who knows? Maybe Kristen and Co. might have felt very bad about what happened, but didn't know who to handle a situation that was out of their control.

SH*T happens.

Cheers,
The Balladeer

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."
Updated On: 1/9/04 at 10:35 AM

Trina
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 10:37am

"WHY? Why would you expend the time and cash to see it again? It's not like it's a junior high production of Bye Bye Birdie that you want to see how the kids shape up during a three performance run."

Because I actually really enjoyed it the first time I saw the show and that was with Kristin's understudy, it felt darker and less full of frothy fluff (though it was still funny that first time, it seemed a more silly humor last night). I figured going again with Kristin in the role would only make it that much better. Since last night was obviously an off night I would like to see a production without understudies and without such noticeable flubs for a final stamp on what I enjoy about it.

FindingNamo
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 10:49am

You're more forgiving than I am. I saw it once and would love a partial rebate for the ridiculous amount of money they charge for a show that mostly does not work. If the two good aspects of the show (Kristin and Idina) were clearing their throats and one half of the show was laughing all the way through it, I would be livid and never plan on going back.

LilFinley
#23re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 10:53am

I saw the show too and I started laughing because it was funny!! But what else could they do!!! I talked to Kristin after the show and she said that they had a little inside joke going on backstage and stuff happened with costumes that it was funny! When Taye came in and hit the guard she said that was the icing on the cake and burst out laughing. But I say again what else could they do???? I mean it is the first time that has happened and it is not like in rehearsals they say this is what you should do if this happens!!! But you have to cut them some slack, professionals have the right to mess up too!

**Once I'm with the wizard*My whole life will change*Cause once your with the wizard*No one thinks your starnge**

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#24re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)
Posted: 1/9/04 at 10:56am

Maybe they feel "Nathan & Matthew cut up all the time and the audience devours it. By golly, if they can do it, SO CAN WE!"

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"