Posted: 7/30/06 at 7:03pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=11232

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#1re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 7:04pm

sigh =(

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#2re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 7:05pm

re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07 I wish them all well.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#3re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

gasp! I literally gasped once for the closing, then gasped once more when I read the tour was planned. It better start in San Francisco before I go to college. lol

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#4re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

As expected, but had a healthy run! Good for this revival and its cast... they can only leave with a great experience.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

TheMecca
#5re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 7:06pm

Thank goodness I'm seeing it next month...
But it seriously is a shame that it's closing so early, not even a year of performances.

See, now if it had WON the Tony, we wouldn't have this sad announcement until at least December.

SarahBeth Profile Photo
SarahBeth
#6re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 7:06pm

All good things must come to an end. re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07 I will most definitely be catching the tour.

"I'll show you a laughgasm. I'll gasm all over this stage!"
"Interesting choice"

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#7re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 7:10pm

What a captivating production. I was hoping to be able to see it one more time.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#8re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 7:10pm

There is no real reason to think winning the Tony would have kept this show open til December. Winning the revival Tony didn't help LA CAGE. SWEENEY has had a great run; way beyond any expectation. It just doesn't attract tourists.

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#9re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 7:11pm

re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

Not surprising, but still sad. I really wish that I could have seen it again, because it was one of the best theatrical experiences that I've ever had.

But, best of luck to the extremely talented cast. re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

thevolleyballer
#10re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

Bah. I wasn't a fan, but it had a good run. One of the shows in the upper-echelon of Broadway, no doubt, but it definitely has its flaws, as does everything. Shame it couldn't last for a year.

It is time, though. I have to say that. Updated On: 7/30/06 at 07:11 PM

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#11re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

This production deserved to run for at least a year.

gavrochegirl
#12re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 7:13pm

re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07 times 100.

What the puck?!

Johnnytoc
#14re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 7:14pm

re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07 But I look forward to seeing what this amazingly talented cast does next.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#15re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 7:16pm

*sigh*

I hope they make good on their promise to tour. I thought the Into the Woods revival was going to tour as well.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#16re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

"But I look forward to seeing what this amazingly talented cast does next."

Me too. Nothing this innovative and creative has hit Broadway in a long time. I an extremely sad to see it close.

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#17re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

No re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07. I really, really, really loved this production.

I have to see it one more time before I leave the city next week.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#18re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 7:19pm

This was truly great and unique revival of a wonderful show. It's sad to see it go, but it has had a great run and I'm glad that it will be touring next year. Best wishes to the cast; I'm really looking forward to seeing them in future shows.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 7/30/06 at 07:19 PM

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#19re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 7:20pm

This tour could prove to do well because it isn't very expensive to produce. The cost for the Broadway run was $3.5 Million and I could see them pulling in quite a lot for the tour.

Yero
#20re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 7:22pm

Aww, I never got to see the show re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
I wanted to, but I never got the chance.. hopefully the tour hits Boston. I'd love to see it.

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee

xoxRogue Profile Photo
xoxRogue
#21re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

Shari Lewis: Did you ever wish upon a star? Lamb Chop: I once asked Mr. Rogers for his autograph.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#22re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

This is really unfortunate. I was hoping that it would still be playing in November when I am coming out and airfare between now and then is insane.

It was an amazing experience and a great run.
Updated On: 7/30/06 at 07:22 PM

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#23re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

ok I don't know what's wrong with me because I knew that this was coming and it recouped and has had a successful run but I am still just so upset about this!! I am very angry and disheartened that this couldn't have at least made it a year. It's not fair...I realize this is really bitter of me to say but it deserved that Tony the most! I realize Pajama Game deserved it too but not as much as Sweeney and while we don't know for sure if a Tony would have helped their run and it probably wouldn't have helped it all that much but it MIGHT have! I really am hoping Company has a successful run and can't wait to see it. But I just love the gang over at Sweeney and I wish them all the luck in the world on their future projects. I really didn't know that I was going to be this effected by their closing notice but man...it's just SAD!! I am really pumped for the tour and can't wait to hear casting news. Praying that it comes to Philly

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~
Updated On: 7/30/06 at 07:22 PM

whiskedaway Profile Photo
whiskedaway
#24re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 7:25pm

yay for a tour! i also hope it starts on the west coast, hehe.

Videos