Finian's Rainbow??????

lamplighter
#1Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 3:31am

word around the Theatre district is that Finian's isn't going to happen. They don't have all their money and they wanted to replace too many of the actors from Encores. Has anyone in the cast signed a contract for the Broadway move?

Ed_Mottershead
#2re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 8:40am

I have it on fairly good authority that Cheyenne will not do the transfer, if it happens.

BroadwayEd

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#2re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 9:07am

I, for one, will be very disappointed if that old devil moon doesn't shine again!

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

scaryclowns2232
#3re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 9:35am

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that were the case.

I mean, its Finian's Rainbow- who is going to want to see it?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#4re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 9:37am

I mean, its Finian's Rainbow- who is going to want to see it?

Me! Several times over, honestly.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#5re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 9:41am

What's Jarrod Emick doing? He could replace Cheyenne.

Ed_Mottershead
#6re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 10:04am

"I mean, its Finian's Rainbow- who is going to want to see it?"

Every theatre queen in New York, that's who. The same gang that thrives on Encores! We are very loyal to our shows.

BroadwayEd

Yankeefan007
#7re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 10:05am

Does this news really come as a shock to people?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#8re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 10:07am

No, I'm not surprised in the least.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#9re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 10:08am

if this is true, it is a smart move by the producers. this show would not have done well on broadway.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#10re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 10:10am

Unfortunately, it's beginning to look that way. We've had two opening dates announced, and they've both been revoked.

I'm going to be very disappointed as I was really looking forward to this!

lovesclassics
#11re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 10:15am

If this is true it's really unfortunate for Kate Baldwin. She's a wonderful talent who deserves a Broadway show.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#12re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 10:17am

If this is true it's really unfortunate for Kate Baldwin. She's a wonderful talent who deserves a Broadway show.

yes, definitely. she was so wonderful in Finian's Rainbow at Encores, but I really would have loved a Broadway production of She Loves Me. I thought she was just amazing in it at The Huntington.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

twogaab2
#13re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 10:47am

It would be a shame as "Rainbow" has one of the smartest, most timeless libretti of all time. Anyone who saw the Encores performances can attest to to this. To be honest I was truly shocked at how well it worked.

As Woody says, "This is better than money, it's credit"!!

TWOGAAB "A Class Act" will never die!

MarkK Profile Photo
MarkK
#14re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 1:54pm

I was told the same thing from a very reliable source , about a week ago. She told me Finian's was on shakey ground to begin with. Then Cheyenne dropped out, which didn't help their situation. And from the posts I have been reading , it sounds like Cheyenne made the right decision.

#15re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 2:07pm

Cheyenne dropped out? Why? It's not like he's working.

Ed_Mottershead
#16re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 2:44pm

My sense re: Cheyenne is that he's focusing on his cabaret career for the moment. Doesn't mean that he's forsaking Broadway altogether but he's come to the point where he can pick and choose. Woody Mahoney is not a star-making role -- whoever plays Sharon or Og has a much better chance of taking the honors, not to mention the scene-stealing potential for whoever does Necessity or The Begat.

BroadwayEd

alfgiotir Profile Photo
alfgiotir
#17re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 3:18pm

or maybe Cheyenne thinks it will fail and doesn't want his name associated with it.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#18re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/9/09 at 3:23pm

I don't know who thought this was a good idea to begin with. If you look at it seriously, you have a gigantic theater, a HUGE cast, a huge orchestra, a musical that while popular, will not sell to anyone besides the blue haired crowds after the first few months and a cast that, while personally I would pay top dollar to see, isn't exactly going to bring in the crowds.

1+1+2+1

Soliantu Profile Photo
Soliantu
#19re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/10/09 at 6:25pm

Maybe Cheyenne dropped out because of the "opening date" getting revoked over and over... if it was starting to look like it wasnt going to happen.. he probably didnt want to be committed to it any further if there were other things he could pursue. I'm still dissappointed that the Encores production of Damn Yankees never transferred to Broadway as it was supposed to.. That was a great cast and originally it was supposed to transfer.. it wouldve been great to see that again as they were all wonderful.. I always hoped a soundboard would surface but it never did as far as I know re: Finian's Rainbow??????

#20re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/10/09 at 7:13pm

You mean Cheyenne doesn't want to be associated with YET ANOTHER failure?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#21re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/10/09 at 8:15pm

Who is really shocked about this? Saw this coming from a mile away.

madlibrarian
#22re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/10/09 at 8:19pm

What's with all the negative disdain for a classic show with a witty book and one of the great scores? Finian's Rainbow still raises comic hackles; we should welcome its first Broadway production in almost half a century. Less than a year ago producers were having trouble raising money for another dated old show... and look how Hair turned out. Pot o' gold, indeed.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#23re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/10/09 at 8:24pm

It never would've succeeded in the St. James anyway.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Soliantu Profile Photo
Soliantu
#24re: Finian's Rainbow??????
Posted: 7/10/09 at 8:31pm

we'll see.. Maybe there's still a chance

Videos